Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lewistrain  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2018 13:15:43(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
As in the title gents, I recently visited the Ipswich steam workshop museum in QLD Ausstralia, and they had a small display of 1 gauge locos from a private collection. the size and detail of the 1 scale stuff really hit me. Now i could never afford the ones on display but some searching on german ebay found 1 gauge marklin locos almost the same prices (2nd hand) as HO loks. i was very confused.
i would really like to give 1 gauge a go, but i dont think the boss would allow another whole scale of trains in the house. so i am wondering if i should sell off all my HO stuff and go 1G for the hell of it. has anyone else even done anything similar?
the 1 gauge stuff just looks so satisfying, i dont know how to describe it.
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lewistrain
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2018 13:22:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Lewis, I don't have Gauge 1 myself but I do convert these locos to digital and with sound decoders but these type of conversions aren't cheap, XL decoders are usually sold for A$ 360.00 and than you can get synchronized steam generators.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Chipopo  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2018 15:02:25(UTC)
Chipopo

Israel   
I have a few Gauge 1 items, and they are amazing.
Problem (beside the price) - one needs a lot of space . . .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Chipopo
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2018 15:09:47(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Lewistrain, before you buy any 1-gauge, please do your homework BigGrin

Generally, my recommendation is to stay away from older locs with item numbers starting with 57, as these in almost all cases are with an Ahlstrom-motor and internal ( noisy ) gears. It is possible to make them digital; but the price and the trouble is IMHO too high, compared to the relative small price difference up to a newer loc.

Newer locs have item numbers starting with 55; if they are 55xx they are usually digital with DC-motor, and much better detail; but not all are with sound.

Locs with 5-figure item numbers, 55xxx, are the newest, in many cases the same body as the 55xx locs; but with a newer decoder and more sounds.

For wagons, first generations had plastic wheels and stiff puffers, where newer wagons have metal wheels and puffers with in-build spring.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 09 April 2018 21:41:03(UTC)
Goofy

There is cheapest way...try with scale 0 (1:43,5)
Lenz are one of the producer with high quality locomotives and the wagons.
See here:
www.digital-plus.de
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline lewistrain  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2018 01:42:12(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
thanks guys, any info on these is appreciated.
the locos i saw on german ebay were as so
https://www.ebay.de/itm/...4597a:g:RbQAAOSwHgdatMQ4
https://www.ebay.de/itm/...c646c:g:SXQAAOSwY7VZibvY

Even with the conversion to AUD these are still not too bad considering a HO mikado or such is over 600 AUD.

any other thoughts?
Offline Tony  
#7 Posted : 10 April 2018 08:48:24(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
Hi Lewis train,

This is exactly what I am doing. Slowly getting rid of my large amount of HO stuff and have over the years been accumulating 1 gauge stuff, to build a largish layout in a few years time. One other point I would say is stay away from the 600mm radius curves (Old number was 5922 I think) as although they are tempting due to space constraints. they will seriously limit you to the very small(short) locos and wagons. I think Marklin no longer make the 600mm curve? Try to have a minimum radius of 1020mm (Curve 59035, or old number 5935) if you have the space - as mentioned above you need space as these layouts get huge very quickly.... Per makes a very good point on the engines .
You can pick up used wagons often in very good condition, quite cheaply.

Good luck

Cheers Tony
Regards Tony
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tony
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 10 April 2018 09:03:10(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

The V100 is a really fin loc, a very strong puller and totally quiet motor. It comes from the startset 55033, and has build in motor sound and horn, in very good quality. I have "a few", and they all have breaking sounds; but I've heard that some were made without. Even the price is OK; you can sometimes get lucky and get them cheaper; but not much cheaper. One of the best you can get for not too much money. Take it BigGrin

The 5713 BR55 however, I will strongly recommend that you stay away from it. The so called "sound" sounds like an AM-radio without antenna and not catching any station; the motor and gears are VERY noisy and you'll end up hating the loco. There are at the moment several item number 5505 BR55s for more or less the same price; which is a much better loco.

https://www.ebay.de/sch/..._from=R40&_nkw=br+55

The original sound in the 5505 is also not up to today's standard and the build in decoder is for the old Märklin system ( Unless already exchanged, which is often the case ); but since the are born with a DC motor, all you need to do if you want a state of the art loco with fantastic sounds, is to build in a ESU Loksound XL 4.

Important is that you understand, that the term "digital with sound" on these 55xx locs does not always mean that they run digital out of the box on whatever digital system you have now; but that they because of the DC motor easily can be converted.

The 57xx locos have a 3 pole AC / Ahlstrom coffee grinder motor and is not easily converted, and even if, is still not worth it, IMHO.

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 10 April 2018 09:22:01(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

In this video you can hear the sounds of the V100, and in the end, also how quiet the motor runs without sound effects on:

Per.

P.S: Tony is right, don't even think about trying the radius 600mm tracks. Only very few locs can run on those.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline lewistrain  
#10 Posted : 10 April 2018 12:33:20(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Wow thanks so much for the in depth info about the different models and their litttle quirks and such. The coffee grinder noise is also quite bad in many marklin HO models. I have been lately searching which models have normal can motors instead of the marklin motors, as they are just too loud and sound terrible. Looks like I will have to wait a while to take any action on this. Thsnks again everyone.
Offline El Capitan  
#11 Posted : 06 June 2018 10:54:36(UTC)
El Capitan

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: lewistrain Go to Quoted Post
... so i am wondering if i should sell off all my HO stuff and go 1G for the hell of it. has anyone else even done anything similar?

A bit late to the party, but yes, some years ago I sold all my H0 to go all in on 1 gauge.
And now I have sold almost all my 1 gauge to go N scale.

1 gauge is absolutely spectacular, but it's expensive and it takes a lot of space to get a decent layout.
I joined a club that since then has imploded, so I'm leaving 1 gauge again.

So as others have said: think carefully about what you're doing, what you like doing and what space you have available.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by El Capitan
Offline NS1200  
#12 Posted : 06 June 2018 12:06:48(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Must say the idea has crossed my mind several times,sell all the H0 stuff and opt for spectacular gauge 1.
Problem is i cannot depart from my beloved H0 items,which means there is a budget issue.

Eventually,i would like to buy a gauge 1 model for static display in a clear display case in the livingroom,could be Marklin or another brand.
Marklin 55900 Br 01 147 or KM1 Br 01 512 spring into mind.
Going price anything between Euro 1,500.- and Euro 2,500.-

Space is not an issue if you keep them static,like in a railwaymuseum.

http://www.km-1.de/html/lokomotiven.html

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline BR23  
#13 Posted : 13 November 2018 23:14:27(UTC)
BR23

United States   
In the past few years my eyesight has been slowly and gradually getting worse.I've had two rounds of surgery to no avail.So I've started selling off all my HO and O gauge to focus (No pun intended) on the larger scales which I can easily see and handle fine. I've already got several Marklin 1 and LGB pieces. I've got a large indoor train room, 20' (6m) X 40' (12m). which will suit the setting up the larger scale just fine.
Enjoying Marklin HO trains since 1964.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BR23
Offline artfull dodger  
#14 Posted : 14 November 2018 02:15:59(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
While I myself will never leave HO completely, I have been bitten by the gauge 1 bug and actually have sold off some of my LGB narrow gauge pieces to fund purchases. I am keeping most of my gauge 1 to the old Maxi line as my overhead indoor line has 600mm curves. The detail level of the class 140 electric locomotive as more than enough for me and it looks good next to my Aster SBB Eb 3/5 live steamer. If you love the feel of tinplate/metal and want the size of gauge 1, Maxi is the way to go. Not all the items in that old series were toy like. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger