Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2018 01:16:47(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
When I first joined this forum, about two years ago, I was just getting into digital and I asked this same question about my old TT800. The loco was given to us kids in the early 60's and I've had it restored and it runs very well - there is some emotional attachment to it. I don't want to sell it unless we're talking thousands and thousands.

However... I've since gotten into PC control of the layout - via iTrain but it could be any software, it all seems similar. I never run the TT800 anymore. Someone on another thread regarding Marklin quality mentioned that the older locos were machined so as the headlights put out a real beam of light, and this got me thinking about how much I'd like to convert the TT800 to digital so I could see it running again. It weighs a ton - I don't know if this would be a problem. But I never use it and if it were converted to digital, it would bring me a tremendous amount of pleasure seeing it running again.

Therefore - does anyone know if it's possible to convert it to digital? Apart from the decoder and new motor, would older parts be required that probably aren't available any longer? Or would it be fairly straightforward? Does anyone know of a dealer who has done this successfully?

Thank you, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2018 01:40:44(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi John,

I'm sure it can be done using a number of methods, if there is a suitable five pole motor kit available from marklin along with a suitable decoder that would work and give good results.

Alternately, if the the TT800 has a motor that differs in such a way that none of the three motor kits marklin produce were suitable, a Uhlenbrock decoder could be used to drive the existing motor.

Worst case scenario would be finding an old delta decoder from marklin that replaces the reversing unit, although I doubt you would need to go down this road.

Cheers....

Mike
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2018 01:53:03(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes, all the old locos of that era can be upgraded to digital.

I would suggest a Lokpilot decoder from ESU, plus a permanent magnet. These decoders produce excellent running with the original 3 pole rotor. No need for a 5-pole rotor.

The weight will not be a problem.

Here I show the steps converting a different Mäklin loco, but the steps are almost identical, in fact your TT800 will be even simpler without a smoke unit.

https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2004/02/installingdigitaldecoder.html

If you can use a soldering iron, you can do this!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com