Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Fredashay  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2018 01:16:12(UTC)
Fredashay

United States   
I just purchased the Trix version of the Marklin Entertainment car. But I don't read German. I put it on my programming track just to see if it would respond like a new locomotive responds to Loco #3, but it just sat there silently. Google was not my friend, either. Are there instructions in English anywhere?
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2018 01:35:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Fredashay  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2018 04:04:35(UTC)
Fredashay

United States   
Thank you!

Also, these were included on the Micro SD card inside the carriage:

Quote:
Anleitung zum Musik aufspielen auf den Märklin Gesellschaftswagen mit Sound:

1. In das Verzeichnis "Konverter" auf der microSD-Karte wechseln.
2. Die gewünschte Musik (maximal 5 Dateien auf einmal) in einem anderen Verzeichnis markieren. Die Dateinamen sollten keine Sonderzeichen, Umlaute usw. enthalten.
3. Die markierten Dateien per Drag and Drop auf die Datei "MUSIK_HIER_DRAUFLEGEN.bat" ziehen.
4. Für jede Datei die konvertiert wird, erscheint im Kommandozeilenfenster eine neue Zeile mit dem Pfad und Namen der Datei.
5. Warten bis im Kommandozeilenfenster folgendes steht: "Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .".
6. Eine beliebige Taste drücken.
7. Im Verzeichnis "Musik" auf der microSD-Karte prüfen, ob alle Dateien erfolgreich konvertiert wurden.

Der Märklin Gesellschaftswagen mit Sound spielt bis zu fünf Geräusche ab. Diese fünf Geräusche müssen einen definierten Namen haben und können gegen eigene Geräusche ausgewechselt werden.
Anleitung zum Geräusche auswechseln auf dem Märklin Gesellschaftswagen mit Sound:

1. Schritte 1 bis 7 der vorherigen Anleitung mit dem gewünschten Geräusch abarbeiten.
2. Das konvertierte Geräusch aus dem Verzeichnis Musik ausschneiden und im Verzeichnis Geräusche einfügen.
3. Es werden nur Geräusche mit folgenden Namen abgespielt: Sound_1.wav, Sound_2.wav, Sound_3.wav, Sound_4.wav, Sound_5.wav
4. Falls bereits 5 Geräusche vorhanden: Eins der fünf Geräusche löschen oder umbenennen.
5. Das eigene Geräusch umbenennen, damit es einen der 5 definierten Namen hat.

Google Translate did a pretty good job of translating them to English:

Quote:
Instructions for playing music on the Märklin company car with sound:

1. Change to the directory "Converter" on the microSD card.
2. Highlight the desired music (max. 5 files at once) in another directory. The file names should not contain special characters, umlauts, etc.
3. Drag the marked files onto the file "MUSIK_HIER_DRAUFLEGEN.bat".
4. For each file being converted, a new line appears in the command line window with the path and name of the file.
5. Wait until the command line window says "Press any key ...".
6. Press any key.
7. In the "Music" directory on the microSD card, check that all files have been successfully converted.

The Märklin company car with sound plays up to five sounds. These five sounds must have a defined name and can be substituted for their own sounds.
Instructions for changing noise on the Märklin company car with sound:

1. Complete steps 1 to 7 of the previous manual with the desired sound.
2. Cut the converted sound from the Music directory and paste it in the Sounds directory.
3. Only sounds with the following names are played: Sound_1.wav, Sound_2.wav, Sound_3.wav, Sound_4.wav, Sound_5.wav
4. If there are already 5 noises: Delete or rename one of the five sounds.
5. Rename your own sound so that it has one of the 5 defined names.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2018 16:51:52(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I had a chuckle when I first saw the description for this model.
The model is described as "Gesellschaftswagen WGmh 824 der Deutschen Bundesbahn (DB). Farbgebung in ozeanblau/elfenbein. Betriebszustand Sommer 1985."

(Entertainment Coach WGmh 824 of the DB. Ocean Blue and Beige livery. Operating Condition Summer 1985).

As I read the description, I came across F12, F13 and F14 bend described as "Scratching Sounds"

Now, I have been a DJ since the late mid 1970s and I happened to be in Germany in Summer 1985 and I can attest to there being at that time three popular songs that had scratching in it, the first being Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" which came out in 1983, Paul Hardcastle's "19" and Falcos' "Rock Me Amadeus" which came out in 1985 (if you call that scratching). The two top songs in Summer 1985 were in fact Opus "Live Is Life" and Falco's song. I think that the next commercial song with scratches in it would have been Run DMC "Walk This Way" which came out in 1986.

Scratching in commercial DJing did not really take off until until the hip hop explosion in 1992-1998.

As a proud Montreal DJ, we looked at scratching by non-turntablist DJs as simply a way for DJs who did not know how to beat match to switch from one song to the next by sliding the needle back and forth on the first sound of the next track creating a chugga-chugga-chugga-boom start.
In Maerklin terms it would be the equivalent of always starting each train at a signal at full speed (on/off) rather than accelerating from a zero stop ;)

That said, if anybody wants a typical playlist for a DB Gesellschaftswagen from Summer 1985, this would be my playlist:

1) Opus - Live Is Life
2) Falco - Rock Me Amadeus
3) Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok
4) Paul Hardcastle - 19
5) Elvis Prestley - Muss I Den

I included the Elvis song because it seemed that commercial German DJs always threw this one in when they were playing for groups of North Americans (bars, halls, social events).
It was not, however, something that would get played in dance clubs.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Fredashay  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2018 00:48:59(UTC)
Fredashay

United States   
Thanks for the info! I intend to replace the scratching sounds with bar sounds like drunken guys shouting, "Drink! Drink! Drink!" And then I bought a second SD card (I didn't want to alter the original) and made a playlist of train songs.

City of New Orleans (Arlo Guthrie)
Crazy Train (Ozzy Osbourne)
Daddy, What's A Train? (John Denver)
Last Train to Clarksville (The Monkees)
Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull)
Long Train Running (Doobie Brothers)
Love Train (The O'Jays)
Lover Please (Clyde Mcphatter)
Midnight Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & The Pips)
Morning Train (Sheena Easton)
Peace Train (Cat Stevens)
Runaway Train (Soul Asylum)
They Don't Write Songs About Trains Anymore (Artese 'N Toad)
Wabash Cannonball (Roy Acuff)

Wikipedia lists lots of train songs, but I wanted to limit my playlist to popular songs that most people would recognize.

Edited by user 16 March 2018 00:34:21(UTC)  | Reason: Ich wil den Klavierstein!