Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2018 20:51:03(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi -

I currently own several of the hobby block signals (74391) and am considering buying a few more along with some of the hobby distant signals (74380). They are okay, not as nice as some of the other signals Marklin makes, but significantly less expensive. I'm now setting up a relatively small layout to be controlled by some PC software and so the signals will be controlled by the software and are really there for purely aesthetic purposes, that is, to add some realism to the layout. The software will turn on the block signal when a block is occupied and will turn on the distance signal if the next block is occupied - I guess I would place it at the spot in the block where the train would need to slow down and stop. I'll probably have only about 5 blocks visible on this new layout, so not too many to purchase.

As I said, these aren't the nicest-looking or perhaps most interesting-looking signals but they are fairly cheap. Has anyone else used these signals in the same way I'm suggesting and likes how they look, that is, would do it again, or did you find them too boring, would you recommend using some of the other signals instead? I guess what I'm asking is, do the other semaphore or multiple light signals looks so much better that they are worth the extra money? I realize this is a very subjective question. Any recommendations are appreciated - it looks like the most cost-effective but interesting of the other signals might be the block/distant combo 76496 or using some Viessmann signals - I'd need to get the associated decoder, etc.

Thank you, John

Edited by moderator 14 February 2018 09:58:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Thewolf  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2018 21:32:53(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi John Cool

I use the 74391 and that's enough for me.

I don't want any more for the simple reason that, as we have a cat (even if it never got on the marklin table),I don't want to go into a financial pit to replace them.

I also used the 4011 Viesmann. Never again because I hate their wire mounting and connection system.

For me, their wire system with diodes dates from Matusalem and their attachment system dates back to prehistory.

Marklin has a very clever and judicious wire fastening and connection system.

Of course this only engages me.

Don't think I'm not usingViesmann products... on the contrary, I use Viesmann products.

Thewolf

Edited by user 14 February 2018 04:36:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2018 03:33:19(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I have used Viessmann signals and am very happy with them. Excellent details and technology. I don't have any Märklin hobby signals to compare them to though.

I have a bunch of images of them being installed on this page: https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2016/01/Installing-signals.html you may be able to compare them to the Märklin hobby ones.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline PJMärklin  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2018 09:36:53(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello John,

When I first built my current layout, I used Brawa signal lights. They are beautiful, robust metal signals but have not been made for sometime now :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Further signals I have installed have been by Viessmann and like Dale I have had no problems with them, they are comparable with the old Brawa signals and I am happy with them :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Gregor  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2018 09:46:57(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi,

I have some Marklin 76xxx signals and I control my layout with software I wrote. So also for me it is purely aestetics. What I like about this combination is that you can program some real-life sequences like:
- Some waiting time between the signal showing Hp1 and the train departing
- Switchover from Hp1 to Hp0 while the train passes the signal

Best regards.
Gregor

Edited by user 14 February 2018 15:26:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline CanadianKid  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2018 15:21:39(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
I have used Viessmann signals and am very happy with them. Excellent details and technology. I don't have any Märklin hobby signals to compare them to though.

I have a bunch of images of them being installed on this page: https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2016/01/Installing-signals.html you may be able to compare them to the Märklin hobby ones.

Thanks,
That’s a very useful blog page there as I’m in the process of starting on my layout signals. What are your opinions on Viessmann semaphore signals in regards to movement and detail if you have used them?
Matthew
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CanadianKid
Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2018 17:13:36(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I have one semaphore signal also from Viessmann and I like it, its movement is very nice. Since it was way more expensive than the color light signals, I only bought one and I have it in my engine yard which is a railway museum.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Brakeman  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2018 18:37:18(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
Hi -

I currently own several of the hobby block signals (74391) and am considering buying a few more along with some of the hobby distant signals (74380). They are okay, not as nice as some of the other signals Marklin makes, but ...

Thank you, John

Maybe I've missed something, but to me all the Märklin plastic light signals share same mechanical parts. To me the difference is in the electronics. No reason to feel cheap is the hobby product does it's job!
A good but out of date page: https://www.digital-bahn.de/info_kompo/signale.htm#ma_74391

Regards,
Juha
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Brakeman
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 14 February 2018 21:15:25(UTC)
Minok

United States   
For the cosmetic purpose the hobby signals are just fine - they do the job. As you said, its all about what YOU find important, and what fits with any era you are trying to model. From my perspective "any signal" is better than "no signal". From there on its tuning to what you want visually - having an ultra-realistic with extra feature signals doesn't add as much as going from none to a hobby signal, for the money spent.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#10 Posted : 14 February 2018 21:29:25(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Thank you all for the great replies. For now, it makes sense for me to stick with the hobby signals; I've already spent quite a bit of money on other items and so purchasing a few more hobby signals won't break the bank. However, judging from the feedback I've received, I should definitely investigate the Viessmann signals if I decide to upgrade at a later point. I really appreciated the pictures of the Brawa signals, too bad they aren't produced any longer.
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD