Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2018 17:25:22(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
On Facebook I've posted a video under: Märklin Modelleisenbahn Anlage (Märklin modeltrain layout), so the latest conversation is:

a.) I shouldn't use the name Märklin as a modeltrain (he thinks its a kids toy because the carriages aren't the proper length
b.) so I said all my Roco coaches are 1:87
c.) well this wasn't enough, he uses ADE coaches
d.) the problem has risen because the forum is called: the original meets the modeler

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2018 17:55:38(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
For that reason I always deactivate the feedback function when posting a video on YouTube.

Edited by user 13 February 2018 21:18:36(UTC)  | Reason: Spell checker...

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2018 17:56:36(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I think you could reduce your headline / topic name to: "You always get someone who isn't happy"

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline MaerklinLife  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2018 18:01:31(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
a.) I shouldn't use the name Märklin as a modeltrain (he thinks its a kids toy because the carriages aren't the proper length

Märklin makes models of trains: That's model trains. End of story.

There are all sorts of compromises to making a model. Märklin shorten their coaches just a little to ensure that everything works with what ever accessories you can put nex to the track. There are several alternatives if you do not like having shorter coaches. What about Fleischmann? Their UIC-X passenger coaches are short as well. PIKO has made a big deal of their newly developed 1:100 coaches. I never hear anybody complain about Fleischmann coaches being too short. Don't they know? It is kind of the standard critique of Märklin.

Here's what I say: I buy the Märklin coaches, because:

1. They are easy to take apart. Coaches from other manufaturers can be a nightmare to take apart.
2. Märklin makes plug'n'play power pickups for their coaches. Simply click and connect.
3. Märklin makes plug'n'play taillights.
4. Märklin makes plug'n'play interior lighting.
5. Märklin makes really nice coach sets often with an interesting story behind.
6. Märklin coaches can be taken out of the box without me having to mount 117 small pieces to complete the coach.

All of the above matters to me, and I don't get that from other manufacturers. I kind of wish Märklin coaches were 1:87, I actually do, but I have to live with that, because I get all the other things that matter to me.

What annoys me the most is the lack of respect for my choices that some people show: I proudly show some one my new rake of TEE coaches or whatever and their only reply is: But the coaches aren't the correct length.

To be honest, I have started to keep my interest to myself. I get too many comments about "not being a real model railroader because it's Märklin". I happen to collect that, so please let me do that. It does not make me a less model railroader - at least I don't think so.
thanks 17 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Mark_1602  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2018 20:20:03(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi,

Some people take this hobby too seriously. Those who make such comments about Märklin might be members of Fremo, a radical (European) MRR association that advocates prototypical modelling without any compromises. That way, you can't build a stationary layout and have fun, but only dioramas that might be combined to form a temporary layout at a club meeting or exhibition. Even then, you can't have fun because model trains must run according to timetables and freight trains cannot be moved without paperwork, as in the real world. Looks like playing with trains has been outlawed ... Smile

Have any of you read Bernd Schmid's books? He's passed away, but back in the 1970s, Märklin published a couple of his books in which he outlined how to build a realistic layout. That was serious modelling, all done with Märklin trains and K tracks. He wrote a lot of articles for the Märklin Magazin as well. There are other professionals who have built stunning Märklin layouts, such as Josef Brandl.

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2018 20:45:41(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I showed a man I know , my railway and the only comments he made were about the "junk in my train room" and that it didnt look realistic because of the Coaches and M track curves.

Tough shit.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2018 20:46:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post
There are other professionals who have built stunning Märklin layouts, such as Josef Brandl.[

You only have to read some of the Eisenbahn Journal Josef Brandl's Traumanlagen magazines to see that. I can't read German, but the pictures make up for that!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2018 20:55:29(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Indeed.

One really needs to go back to the fundamentals, the first principles.

Models (of all kind, including models in mathematics, computer science, engineering) are man made to resemble a real thing/process.
But 'by definition' they are all imperfect. A model is never a completely accurate copy - it is always a compromise.

Some folks get anal about the count and location of the rivets - your "commenter" is in that group. Does he hand build his track as well? If not he's dealing with model that deviates in ways we can talk about. Everyone gets to decide to what aspects of modeling are important to them and which compromises they can live with, and no one has the right to say that your model isn't a valid model because it doesn't align with their definition of a model. They can say it, but they would be an idiot for doing so.

In the social media / hyper-connected world of today, we will always hear from someone who disagrees/is offended/disasstisfied with something.
Its a given. All we can do is just ignore those noisemakers that are not helping the discussion by trying to sidetrack it with their pet peeve (no mater how large the group of noisemakers is). Remember, a majority of people agreeing on a topic doesn't make then correct, it just makes them the same.

Märklin makes model trains. Brio makes model trains. ADE makes model trains. They are all model trains.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2018 21:04:48(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Good evening,

I agree with most comments but today I am mad at Märklin.
The reason: I have reserved a model (SNCF 241A65) since 23 September and only today I am informed that Marklin won't deliver it.

I Like Märklin and collect / purchase items since 1962. Sometimes Marklin does wonderful Things, sometimes they make mistakes on new concepts (the first generation of C rails now falling apart, the piezzo motors they don't support any more, etc) but over a long period they delivered very good and durable stuff. So there is no question I like Märklin very much.

Today I am mad (won't last very long) because Märklin has designed, produced a wonderful model (39241) and advertised loudly (Front cover page of the main catalogue, main website page for months, etc and all this to ignore firm réservations only 10 days after the first notification. Marklin is a good company but in this case it is not poor design, poor manufacturing but only sheer stupidity.

Voila Sorry if I offended anyone.

Cheers

Jean
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2018 21:14:16(UTC)
Webmaster

As usual, there are always some who are not so happy with their own life and they have to show their frustration over lesser things as eg model railroad manufacturers.

It is actually not a matter of your choice of mrr brand, since you made that choice yourself... Rather you should reflect yourself upon why you made that choice...
Of course there can be some frustrating issues with any brand, but you did your choice - just live with it or contact the manufacturer to vent your problems...

Or ask for help in this forum without prejudice... BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 14 February 2018 03:00:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 14 February 2018 03:27:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Good evening,

I agree with most comments but today I am mad at Märklin.
The reason: I have reserved a model (SNCF 241A65) since 23 September and only today I am informed that Marklin won't deliver it.

I Like Märklin and collect / purchase items since 1962. Sometimes Marklin does wonderful Things, sometimes they make mistakes on new concepts (the first generation of C rails now falling apart, the piezzo motors they don't support any more, etc) but over a long period they delivered very good and durable stuff. So there is no question I like Märklin very much.

Today I am mad (won't last very long) because Märklin has designed, produced a wonderful model (39241) and advertised loudly (Front cover page of the main catalogue, main website page for months, etc and all this to ignore firm réservations only 10 days after the first notification. Marklin is a good company but in this case it is not poor design, poor manufacturing but only sheer stupidity.

Cheers

Jean

Jean,

you should not be mad at Maerklin, you should be mad at your dealer.

1) Did they send the order in right away? Perhaps they waited a few days and missed a deadline or perhaps their order simply arrived at Goeppingen after all the other models had sold out?

2) Perhaps the shop ordered a number of units (X) and was informed that they were going to receive X-Y units, leaving a couple of orders unfulfilled. Hopefully your shop will be honest enough about the reason why your order could not be filled.

In any case, not all orders from shops represent units that are sold. Many shops likely have units in inventory and those units will be available. You have to shop until you find a shop with one available.

If your shop does not provide a reasonable explanation, you may wish to shop elsewhere in the future.

Bonne chasse!

Mike C

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Leitner  
#13 Posted : 14 February 2018 03:29:34(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
rivetcounters are the reasons why we can't have nice things. I frankly can't stand them, I like realism too but I don't really care having something unrealistic around, this is an hobby, not a source of stress.
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#14 Posted : 14 February 2018 04:23:27(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
Well thank you all very much. How can I ever have a good night's sleep now knowing my trains are not perfect. Mad
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline PMPeter  
#15 Posted : 14 February 2018 04:46:40(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Wildrose-Wally Go to Quoted Post
Well thank you all very much. How can I ever have a good night's sleep now knowing my trains are not perfect. Mad

The way I look at it, it's my model railway, in my make believe land, in whatever era I want to have running and as long as it gives me pleasure then I really don't care what anyone else thinks about how prototypical it is. If the critic wants to model a perfect scale model of a prototype then that's what gives them joy or frustration and so be it.

I may lose sleep over something I can't get working the way I want it to, but never over what someone else thinks about my layout.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline franciscohg  
#16 Posted : 14 February 2018 05:10:39(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
So.......lets all go to proto 87 and get a barn to build a mini proto layout.......andá....like and argentinuan would say
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Mark_1602  
#17 Posted : 14 February 2018 08:53:08(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Today I am mad (won't last very long) because Märklin has designed, produced a wonderful model (39241) and advertised loudly (Front cover page of the main catalogue, main website page for months, etc and all this to ignore firm réservations only 10 days after the first notification.

Cheers

Jean

Hi,

Mr Sieber Jr. has said that Märklin was surprised by the success of this model. Usually French Märklin locos do not sell well, so it's understandable that Märklin advertised this one loudly. I also think your dealer may be responsible for the problem; probably he accepted more orders than he could handle and then distributed the locos he could get to his best customers, not on a 'first come, first served' basis as he should have done.

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline JohnjeanB  
#18 Posted : 14 February 2018 11:02:57(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi,

Thank you for your answers regarding the 39241 loco. My dealer was MSL (Modellbahnshop Lippe) one of the largest (may be the largest) Train dealer in Germany / Europe.
Usually they are very good but here they failed and when challenged they put the blame on Marklin. Oh well I will wait for a new release / version of this loco.

I like Märklin for the part of dreams they deliver although sometime they fail (as we all do). It is my choice as Bigdaddynz says.

Cheers

Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline analogmike  
#19 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:03:48(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Yep, Time for a toon.

200512017834_Cartoon.jpg
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 22 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline kiwiAlan  
#20 Posted : 14 February 2018 15:33:20(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Yep, Time for a toon.

Nice one ... ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Online Eurobahnfan  
#21 Posted : 14 February 2018 16:01:35(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
John Potter, a well-known long time collector of vintage Lionel and American Flyer standard and o gauge trains, once said of the rivet counters in this hobby, “If that’s the way you’re going to be... then don’t come play at my house!” Couldn’t agree more: I came back to the hobby for fun, first and foremost. I could care less if my coaches aren’t true to scale, or a particular locomotive is missing an “important” detail part. It’s MY railway, after all!
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline David Dewar  
#22 Posted : 14 February 2018 16:39:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Somebody thinks Marklin is a kids toy. If I am being honest that is what it is. However it is also for big kids like us who live in the fantasy world of model railways and we all have different ideas as to what we want to do with our miniature railway. Some want to get things as accurate as possible and that is fine but those who just like mixing up eras and coaches and have a British Rail type bridge or signal on the layout then that is also fine.
Just enjoy the hobby and let others enjoy it also.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#23 Posted : 14 February 2018 16:50:30(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I used to spend a lot of time around rivet counters due to a combination of friend's modelling and, frankly my own interest in improving my skills. (but not in criticizing those of others!)

I've learned a few things:

1- these people are usually miserable in general, and have zero life outside trains
2- There is nothing more fun than criticizing their own models. And even more so just giving them a hard time as they often don't build any, they just like to complain!

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline mike c  
#24 Posted : 14 February 2018 17:07:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
There is a difference between a nitpicker who demands 100% realism and somebody who would like to see a little more detail and a little more care put into the production. I don't care for each bogie to have to have each and every part reproduced, but it would be nice to see Maerklin enter the world of multicoloured interiors and some aspects that Roco and others have been using since the 1980s. The interior details of the new 28cm coaches was very disappointing to me.

As far as loks, I have no problem with the quality of the regular models. The fact that all the new lok types are produced as "Hobby" models irks me. It would be nice to see top quality models of newer loks as well.

Does this make me a nitpicker? I don't think so. It makes me somebody who cares about the hobby and who would prefer to see better Maerklin models.

As far as some of the "Maerklin bashing", some is undeserved. Putting down the work that John has done, especially if coming from somebody who only has a teppichbahn is insulting.
Maerklin may be a toy to some, but it can bring the modeller as much enjoyment as any other models and we should let them have their moment.

Let us be tolerant of valid criticism and call out excessive "hate" and remember that somebody else's opinion should not affect how we feel.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#25 Posted : 14 February 2018 19:26:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

Mike it wouldn't make any difference which video it came from teh title: Märklin Modelleisenbahn Anlage or Märklin Modeltrain layout, the critic outlined Märklin should not be used in conjunction with Modeltrains because in his opinion Märklin only produces playmodels and not train models.
the conversations and comment went on and on with other members of this group his reasoning.
a.) pickup shoe,
b.) centre stud
c.) the structure of a model and its authenticity back in the 70's
d.) tracks, the rail is to high
e.) turnouts
he talked about Liliput steam locos and their details back in the 70's compared with Märklin steam locos at the same time but doesn't mind they are tender driven and plastic.
the particular video in question was: its the title, it shouldn't read Märklin modeltrain

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline MaerklinLife  
#26 Posted : 14 February 2018 19:30:53(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
As far as loks, I have no problem with the quality of the regular models. The fact that all the new lok types are produced as "Hobby" models irks me. It would be nice to see top quality models of newer loks as well.

I agree. I do not consider myself a rivet counter, far from it, but I do like to see some certain features in models. Especially when there almost always isn't an alternative "professional model" or whatever they are called.

I like short coupling guide mechanisms. It is rather annoying that Märklin have not used these in their "hobby" models. Especially because equally priced PIKO models have them. I have bought some PIKO models instead because of this. I like PIKO models, but my "Märklin heart" (so to speak) is a bit broken every time I have to look elsewhere.

The new Škoda loco does have the short coupling guide mechanism, so perhaps these days are over. That would be a welcome change. I am looking forward to it, and Märklin seem to have gotten the exclusive license to build the model, so it better be a good one.

The Vectrons do look like they have room for at guide mechanism, but they still suffer from the pivot shaft. Although this can be improved with a spare part.

I have several of the Hobby models and have upgraded them with decoders and lighting. They are nice models, but the competition is just a bit ahead in the field if you ask me.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline MaerklinLife  
#27 Posted : 14 February 2018 20:02:28(UTC)
MaerklinLife

a.) pickup shoe,

You almost never see it.

Does he like steamers? Try and ask him about steamers with electric motors in their boilers. SOOO like the prototype..!

Or models of diesel electrics, what are they called? Electric-electrics?

b.) centre stud

True, that doesn't look real. It does however introduce a certain ease of use that many railway modellers like.

It always amuses me that continental modellers with Märklin tracks go miles to make the centre stud disappear. UK modellers go miles to create a fake third rail because their urban prototypes has one. Funny.

"Your bloody centre stud is unrealistic! 2-rail is much more realistic."
"Btw. have you seen my great fake third rail? I spent 2000 hours scratch building it because you cannot buy track that has it. I'm so proud."

c.) the structure of a model and its authenticity back in the 70's

What kind of weird argument is that? You know, a Ford T is really a lesser car compared to my 2017 Toyota. Conclusion: Ford makes toy cars!

How about taking a look at the models of TODAY. You know... 2018.

d.) tracks, the rail is to high

Really? Too high? C track is code 90. Lot's of UK layouts are code 100 track. So I don't know about that. Try and ask him on his view there?

e.) turnouts

Oh he mean like the C track 12 degree slim turnout compared to the Roco 15 degree "slim" turnout? Yeah, totally worse are the C track. But that can't be? I am confused, perhaps you should ask him to enlighten us there.

It sounds like one of those discussions that can never be won. Nor should anybody win, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But a couple of challenging questions are always great fun.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Minok  
#28 Posted : 14 February 2018 20:31:27(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Mike it wouldn't make any difference which video it came from teh title: Märklin Modelleisenbahn Anlage or Märklin Modeltrain layout, the critic outlined Märklin should not be used in conjunction with Modeltrains because in his opinion Märklin only produces playmodels and not train models.

Where is this forum post on whatever forum it is... I'm now curious.....
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Mark_1602  
#29 Posted : 14 February 2018 20:51:12(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

It sounds like one of those discussions that can never be won.

True, but next time you meet such a model railroader with extremist views, just ask him if his wife and kids are as perfect as his 1:87 true-to-life passenger cars ... BigGrin Guys like this don't like themselves or their own lives. IMO Märklin will still be around twenty years from now, but a few DC manufacturers will have disappeared by then. Critical customers spend less money and often reject new products because of insignificant details, so it's harder to make them buy things.

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline dominator  
#30 Posted : 14 February 2018 21:00:38(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Well thank you all very much. How can I ever have a good night's sleep now knowing my trains are not perfect.Mad

Well W-W, the real ones aren't perfect either. that must mean Marklin is very close to real.Flapper

I Have an old V100 that has the plastic rear bogie cover missing, buts its in such a natural weather worn state, that nobody notices it. It must be the original naturally self weathering loco. I couldnt have done a better job myself.

I did get pissed at Marklin when the relegated all my fantastic collection "HOBBY". They could have called them "CLASSIC"
Another time I got a bit hot was when I couldn't get replacement gears for my F800. After all, "Marklin is so good, you would expect the be able to get parts for a 60 year old loco" wouldn't you. Identified them and got them from Walther's in the end after 15 years of wondering.

Dereck
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline river6109  
#31 Posted : 15 February 2018 01:17:26(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

I think you could reduce your headline / topic name to: "You always get someone who isn't happy"

Per.

Cool

Per,

as mentioned in my other reply, it wasn't about the video it was about Märklin versus model trains, his criticism was using the word "Märklin along the word "Model train", he said it contradicts itself as Märklin doesn't make locos as in "model trains" but rather trains you play with and the explanation for this is the inaccuracy of steamers, I assume going back to the 70's.
We are now in the year 2018, my title post is from 2018, so I don't know where he has been for the last 48 years.
If his reply would have been Märklin in the past has produced incorrect or inaccurate models of prototype steamers no one would have questioned his remark but at the same time such a remark would have been a bit outdated as Märklin and other producers have lifted their game when producing steamers this century and for some unknown reasons trying to outclass each other with more add on plastic parts to have all the details necessary.

John

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 15 February 2018 01:20:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Where is this forum post on whatever forum it is... I'm now curious.....

It's one of the Facebook forums but its all in German.:

https://www.facebook.com...nt_mention&ref=notif

the latest remarks are: my locos are digital, who knows what that means in relation to authenticity, another reply from me: Märklin locos are metal and have their motor in the boiler: the answer was: this shows or proofs the knowledge I master.

his name is Carlo Fleckenstein and apparently lives in Germany, another comment from him didn't go down very well, one of the members mentioned Piko which used to be in East Germany and he called him an Ossie and apparently there is also a Wessi (I thought we've acknowledged and respected races regardless from where they come from) this sort of remark is really under the belt.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline MaerklinLife  
#33 Posted : 15 February 2018 03:25:20(UTC)
MaerklinLife

...and he called him an Ossie...

He sounds like a troll...
Offline hxmiesa  
#34 Posted : 15 February 2018 13:25:49(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   

Hilarious. For some, nothing is good enough...

Anyway; Roco didnt have 303mm scale-length coaches until they bought the molds from RöWa.
The long RöWa coaches where designed and made by Willy Ade.
So in a way, I think that at least SOME of your long Roco coaches are almost identical to the ADE models...?!
-At least the "fingerprint" of the old master exist in the Roco coaches...

¿Am I right?
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline kiwiAlan  
#35 Posted : 15 February 2018 14:38:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

Hilarious. For some, nothing is good enough...

Agreed. i think I would have replied along the lines of "Why would I want Attention Deficit" coaches" (no disrespect intended to any of our list members).

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Alsterstreek  
#36 Posted : 15 February 2018 14:51:16(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

It's one of the Facebook forums but its all in German.:

https://www.facebook.com...nt_mention&ref=notif

I get an Facebook error message that the page is not displayed (albeit existing). Maybe somebody else complained already...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline jerdenberg  
#37 Posted : 15 February 2018 14:53:59(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   

Fremo, a radical (European) MRR association that advocates prototypical modelling without any compromises.

They must then be holding their module meetings in a very big building – or do they conveniently exclude distances from modelling without any compromises?

Jeroen

Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline Unholz  
#38 Posted : 15 February 2018 15:07:11(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

I get an Facebook error message that the page is not displayed (albeit existing). Maybe somebody else complained already...

The page exists but it is a closed group where you have to apply for membership. It has the vast number of about 175 (!!) members - woooow, great! LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline Mark_1602  
#39 Posted : 16 February 2018 13:56:58(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   

his name is Carlo Fleckenstein and apparently lives in Germany, another comment from him didn't go down very well, one of the members mentioned Piko which used to be in East Germany and he called him an Ossie and apparently there is also a Wessi (I thought we've acknowledged and respected races regardless from where they come from) this sort of remark is really under the belt.

John

Hi John,

I googled the name that man uses on Facebook and found some interesting stuff. He used to be the administator of a Facebook group that supposedly focused on the Bavarian town of Aschaffenburg but turned into a platform for far-right extremist views. Facebook deleted his account in November 2015 after several users complained about his hateful posts, but later he registered once again by creating a new Facebook profile. That man also attracted the attention of the German press, local politicians as well as the prosecutor's office. No use discussing with such people. Just report him to Facebook for harassment and try to get some other Facebook members to do the same.

Here's the link to the press article:

Main Echo article about Facebook group

No further comments on such people except for this: ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline MaerklinLife  
#40 Posted : 16 February 2018 19:19:11(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post

They must then be holding their module meetings in a very big building – or do they conveniently exclude distances from modelling without any compromises?

FREMO layouts are usually quite large. I attended a meeting once in a 3000 square metre building.

That being said: They have a chapter that focuses on modern railways. I attended one of their meetings as well. Electric locomotives all over the place. Not a single catenary to be seen. So much for realism and no compromise...

When asked they said it did not matter, since you had to leave something to the imagination. Yeah... about that...
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Minok  
#41 Posted : 16 February 2018 19:50:51(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Yep, and I'd expect the anal retentive guy that was complaining about non-prototypical car lengths, to then complain the cantenary wiring isn't painted the correct shade of grey-green, or that the ballast isn't the right color for the region being modeled, or that that particular store chain in the city building didn't exist there or in that era with that logo. :)
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline David Dewar  
#42 Posted : 16 February 2018 23:23:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Whoever this guy is if he saw my layout he would have a heart attack.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline river6109  
#43 Posted : 17 February 2018 11:40:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post

FREMO layouts are usually quite large. I attended a meeting once in a 3000 square metre building.

That being said: They have a chapter that focuses on modern railways. I attended one of their meetings as well. Electric locomotives all over the place. Not a single catenary to be seen. So much for realism and no compromise...

When asked they said it did not matter, since you had to leave something to the imagination. Yeah... about that...

please notice it has nothing to do with the Forum group: Das Original trifft den Modellbahner, it was a member (as we pointed out with very radical views)

the group is like any other who invites people to become members or look and see what's been posted,
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline PhillipL  
#44 Posted : 18 February 2018 12:46:31(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I used to listen to "rivet counters" on various forums, all they did was ruin the hobby for me. I realized that the reason I originally got into this hobby was to escape the stresses of the world and have fun which is exactly what I do now. My layout is my imagined world, I run it for fun and I no longer care what others think. Many times I suspect these so called experts are people who like to start arguments and probably don't even have a layout!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline Thewolf  
#45 Posted : 18 February 2018 13:45:02(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PhillipL Go to Quoted Post
I used to listen to "rivet counters" on various forums, all they did was ruin the hobby for me. I realized that the reason I originally got into this hobby was to escape the stresses of the world and have fun which is exactly what I do now. My layout is my imagined world, I run it for fun and I no longer care what others think. Many times I suspect these so called experts are people who like to start arguments and probably don't even have a layout!

You're right PhilCool

I knew one on another forum.

The difference with this guy he was very competent in analog. He had been in the Marklin world since childhood: his father had a layout. As an adult, he didn't have a layout but I

believe that today after many years he has a layout.

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline MaerklinLife  
#46 Posted : 18 February 2018 19:47:33(UTC)
MaerklinLife

please notice it has nothing to do with the Forum group: Das Original trifft den Modellbahner, it was a member (as we pointed out with very radical views)
the group is like any other who invites people to become members or look and see what's been posted,

I know you were talking about a Facebook group, you even linked to it, but some one else commented on FREMO and I replied. Read the text I quoted (and follow the quote track to the original post https://www.marklin-user...ith-Marklin#post563270).

Original quote:
Some people take this hobby too seriously. Those who make such comments about Märklin might be members of Fremo, a radical (European) MRR association that advocates prototypical modelling without any compromises. That way, you can't build a stationary layout and have fun, but only dioramas that might be combined to form a temporary layout at a club meeting or exhibition. Even then, you can't have fun because model trains must run according to timetables and freight trains cannot be moved without paperwork, as in the real world. Looks like playing with trains has been outlawed ... Smile
Offline Minok  
#47 Posted : 19 February 2018 20:33:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'm not sure its a FREMO thing ( https://www.fremo-net.eu/en/home/ ) as that is just the EU based organization that has developed some standards for combining layout modules at events, similar to the US side with NRMA standards along the same lines (to ensure modules can be combined and fit together and work) where people simulate real rail operations with schedules, paperwork, manual switching, etc. Its a world of "railroad simulation with models", sort of like the war gaming table top games with figures and tables on capabilities, weather effects, logistics. I think a lot of us can appreciate the appeal to that sort of simulation, but we are happy as can be just playing our "monopoly" or "carcassonne" trains. They are all fun, in different ways.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
MrB32  
#48 Posted : 19 February 2018 21:18:03(UTC)

We have to admit that our hobby unfortunately attracts a large proportion of nitpickers, and probably more so than in any other hobby.

I remember a video posted on youtube by a 12 year old who was very proud of his first attempt (and somewhat unsuccessful...) at ballasting. One such nitpicker posted a scathing comment about his work... Not very encouraging, let alone helpful.

I don't see the point of engaging in any conversation with this type of people, you won't change their mind, and it costs more nerves than it is worth.

That said, I confess to an hint of schadenfreude when stumbling across one of the 100s electro-/ insul-frog or reverse loop problem videos :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Guest
Offline dominator  
#49 Posted : 20 February 2018 00:02:13(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
schadenfreude
ˈʃɑːd(ə)nˌfrɔɪdə,German ˈʃɑːdənˌfrɔydə/Submit
noun
pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.
"a business that thrives on Schadenfreude"

We all have a bit of that type of thought in the back of our minds, but the good guys keep it to themselves.

Dereck

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#50 Posted : 20 February 2018 01:35:49(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
C-track is prototypical, in the US they use a large version as can be seen on this picture.

Riding The Rails_1_amt52al.jpg
UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally