Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline WLAB  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2018 21:32:24(UTC)
WLAB

Romania   
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I have a pair of Telex digital coupler ,at the begining they worked normally, after a while the loco was out of service , I encounter the follow issue, After actuating,the locking pin wont come back down by its own ,leaving the hooker moving freely and obivous, unable to pull the trains.
I have to push the pin down with a screwdriver in order to lock the hook back.
Firstly, I tough maybe the pin is stuck , I sprayed some WD40 over it, then tried cleaning it with alcohol, nothing works.
There is no low voltage remaining over,it acts the same the next day.
Any toughts? I wouldnt replace them with Roco or Krois. Thank you !
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2018 14:40:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: WLAB Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I have a pair of Telex digital coupler ,at the begining they worked normally, after a while the loco was out of service , I encounter the follow issue, After actuating,the locking pin wont come back down by its own ,leaving the hooker moving freely and obivous, unable to pull the trains.
I have to push the pin down with a screwdriver in order to lock the hook back.
Firstly, I tough maybe the pin is stuck , I sprayed some WD40 over it, then tried cleaning it with alcohol, nothing works.
There is no low voltage remaining over,it acts the same the next day.
Any toughts? I wouldnt replace them with Roco or Krois. Thank you !

This is typical of the electromagnet getting residual magnetism in its core. The amount of magnetism is such that once the moving arm touches the magnet core it will stick, but as soon as there is a slight gap the moving armature will fall away.

Try putting a piece of masking tape over the magnet pole, or alternatively on the moving armature. This will introduce enough gap in the magnetic path that they will not stay stuck.

Offline WLAB  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2018 22:22:18(UTC)
WLAB

Romania   
Hi, thank you for replay.
Ive read several times your advice,but I cannot make out how could someone put tape inside it.
The gap between the pin and the housing virtualy lacks.
Too bad I cannot attach a picture here.
The pin that I have to push down is only about 0,5mm tick. the is no gap.
If you are kind to give further details it would be great. Thank you.

Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2018 22:32:47(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I don't know which locomotive you're talking about, and I'm not familiar with any of the H0 locos anyway.

But; if you're comfortable with opening your loco and do a bit of soldering; I would try to swap the two wires going from the decoder to the telex coupler.

This will change the direction of the induced magnetism, and will help you for some time, after which you have to swap back.

Just an idea.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2018 07:25:17(UTC)
Goofy

I did visit an train shop and they did told to me that digital couples do sometimes stucks!
I would check if there is dust and dirt so sometimes you have to clean the magnetic couples by use dry brush.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2018 15:10:55(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Good afternoon

The Märklin Telex coupler of recent generation are not perfect but most work reasonnably well.
I spent hours on trying to find the problems. Here are my findings:
- never oïl, clean, etc the mechanism.
- some of the coupler holder are not precise enough thus resulting in car uncoupling even if the pin is latched in place (I manage to change on one loco and the problem remains
- I never observed a remanent magnetism that could explain malfunction but rather the moving element 'which is very light' getting stuck and not going down all the way
Below is a picture of an open Telex coupling (bottom plastic part removed) where you can see the moving element
If it has been lubricated or moisted with any liquid it needs to be removed and cleaned carefully with isopropyl-alcohol.
Open only if you are familiar with dealing with micromechanism UserPostedImage

If it has never been opened, it may be stuck and need some "running in" by a program written on the CS2 to activate and release it periodically. The pin must going up and down every time. I have 20 of these couplings and most and working very fine

Cheers

Jean
Offline WLAB  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2018 19:15:13(UTC)
WLAB

Romania   
So I'm not the only having this issue.
I didn't know the coupler can be open to check and see inside.
Maybe I was wrong spraying it with WD40. If I manage to dismantle it I'd try cleaning it with isopropilic alcohol wich is friendly with coils.Thank you so much.

Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2018 21:12:12(UTC)
Minok

United States   
On the plus side, there is a new telex design that is part of the special insider model #1 of 2018, and we can hope that this new design (in addition to being smaller (no lump) is longer term reliable, and some time over the next years we can replace the older design telex couplers with the new types.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok