Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2018 17:14:02(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to dive into setting up a C track test layout using S88 feedbacks/sensors and blocks and PC software to control it (iTrain and a CS3). I've tried to glean as much advice as I can from the postings in this forum and would like to ask a favor of you - could you take a look at my list below and let me know if you have other suggestions? Thank you in advance. Also thanks to many of you who posted the advice I'm gleaning and summarizing.
Here's my list:

Setting up switches, feedbacks, locos, etc:
All done in the CS3 and then using iTrain (or Rocrail, TrainController, etc.) to control them as needed - perhaps the first thing going through your minds is that the CS3 may be overkill, a CS2 or other would have done okay, but I learned that the hard way :-). In iTrain, also define the length of each train and calibrate the speed of the locomotive correctly. Once I get better at controlling trains via software and move on to a more complicated layout, consider powering the S88 sensors externally using something such as what LDT offers - but this advice was in relationship to the CS2. Maybe with the CS3, an external controller isn't so much needed. I've got a CS3, which means I use an L88 - and thus far it works fine.

Initial test layout:
Someone suggested this:
  1. A loop with a two switches and two station lines to/from a single mainline so that you can see the computer select the alternate route when a train is on one platform. Lets you play with waiting time in a route etc . So two blocks at the station and two blocks on the main line. Now run three trains. The author didn't specify which direction to run the trains, but I assume all in the same direction?
  2. A shuttle line with a bypass in the middle running two trains. "The plan here is not to do an Uncle Fester with the two trains." - which means running the trains in opposite directions?

Length of blocks:
Most people say that they should be as long as the longest train and bounded by switches. Long sections of track with no switches can be divided into blocks via use of the S88 sensors.

What type of S88 sensors:
Most advise occupancy sensors that you make by isolating one rail using the Marklin insulators - someone also used wire insulation that shrinks when heated. No cutting of any tracks is needed, just use the insulators on the same rail at both ends. Some advise using a diode at the S88 module to power the insulated rail because of potential ground issues in feedback tracks due to dirty tracks, etc.

How long are the occupancy sensors and how many should be used in a block:
Someone wrote that he uses occupancy sensors of about 25 cm each. I also saw this very clear and helpful advice that I believe all applies to iTrain:

In Rocrail you have multiple possibilities for block detection:
- one sensor (ENTER2IN): your train has fully entered into next block and can free the previous block. Simplified functioning with some drawbacks (less secure and less smooth speed control)
- two sensors (ENTER and IN): ENTER: your train enters in next block and start decelerating if needed. IN: your train is fully in next block, frees previous block and stops if needed.
- three sensors (Enter, PRE2IN and IN): PRE2IN allows to stop shorter trains earlier (e.g.: a railcar in the middle of the platform)
- other possibilities

Each block:
-is bi-directional but could be set to one direction
- allows direction reversing (if selected)
- allows shuttle train operation with loco pushing the train without complications
- allows selective loco type (non-electrified which cannot be used by electric locos)
- allows ramdom waiting time, specified waiting time or loco-specific waiting time or no waiting
- allows trains longer than the block

Where in the block do the sensors go:
I'm trying to figure that out. Seems like all of the blocks in the eventual layout I'm planning will be bi-directional, so I think, for foolproof operation, I need 2 sensors in every block (ENTER and IN, above). My thinking is that I should place the sensors at the very beginning and very end of the block, and the length of the sensor should be long enough for the locomotive to come to a complete stop - maybe 25 cm is enough but I'll find out. I guess I'll use 3 sensors if I want a loco to stop directly at a station.

If I'm not leaving anything out other than reading all the documentation, I suppose the next step is either to make a cup of coffee or a nice gin martini, your choice, and get to work!

Does anyone differ or have anything else to add? I very much appreciate your advice.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2018 19:30:47(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post

What type of S88 sensors:
Most advise occupancy sensors that you make by isolating one rail using the Marklin insulators - someone also used wire insulation that shrinks when heated. No cutting of any tracks is needed, just use the insulators on the same rail at both ends. Some advise using a diode at the S88 module to power the insulated rail because of potential ground issues in feedback tracks due to dirty tracks, etc.

You would still have to cut conductors UNDER the C-Track in order to isolate the left rail from the right rail (as one, the non-track insulators one) will be the thru-running ground, while the isolated one is only connected to the ground via the wheels.

The diode-trick is used to prevent running problems with very short locos that have very few contact points (wheels) and could get stuck when only one rail is a solid ground contact - if you don't have very short locos (think 4 wheels or maybe 6 wheels) then the diode trick is not likely needed. Its a thing you can retrofit later if you really need it - I'd not build it in by default.

Where in the block do the sensors go:
I'm trying to figure that out. Seems like all of the blocks in the eventual layout I'm planning will be bi-directional, so I think, for foolproof operation, I need 2 sensors in every block (ENTER and IN, above). My thinking is that I should place the sensors at the very beginning and very end of the block, and the length of the sensor should be long enough for the locomotive to come to a complete stop - maybe 25 cm is enough but I'll find out. I guess I'll use 3 sensors if I want a loco to stop directly at a station.

If you have a station where you want trains of varying lengths to stop with the wagons centered on the platform, then having 3 sensor segments in that block make sense so that based on train length, the loco and stop at the middle sensor or stop at the last sensor in the block.

If its on open track, you would need sensor sections at each end (2 total) or make the whole block a sensor section (1 total). If you want to guarantee no loose cars go undetected, every inch of track would need to be part of a sensor block, but if the need for that is low, you only need to detect the entering of a block (and exiting such as entering the next block)
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline French_Fabrice  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2018 19:42:23(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

I think you have summarized quite well the requirements.

If you wish to look at where to put ENTER & IN sensors (or whatever specific vocabulary to your software), you can find examples here:
https://www.marklin-user...dback-changes#post426889
or in later posts of the same thread (have a look also at last page)

The legend color is as follows:
-track marked with gray color = ENTER sensor when unidirectional block; the color length shows the length of isolated section
-track marked with red color = IN (or ENTER sensor when bi-directional block). When bi-directional, ENTER and IN meanings are swapped in opposite direction.
Note: the color chosen does not meet any standard; it is purely personal

As you may know, I use Rocrail software. When the plan was done, the BBT feature wasn't ready, that's why I used longer sections for IN sensor to allow the loco to stop from VMid to 0. Today, with BBT feature, having a long section for IN section is no more useful (when using 2 sensors). I've started to shrink them when possible, and now I only use one piece of straight section (18cm) to implement the IN sensor, as the loco has already its speed decreased with the BBT feature. As a result, when a loco comes in to IN sensor, it is already at VMin speed and thus stops almost immediately.

For ENTER sensor, when unidirectional, 1/2 track length is enough (9cm).
You'll have to experiment whats fits best for you.

Have fun.
fabrice

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2018 20:00:24(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
only a tongue-in-cheek suggestion: get out of the hobby now..... before its too late....
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2018 21:03:26(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Ha! That made me laugh - it's already taken over a good chunk of my time!
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#6 Posted : 08 February 2018 20:18:13(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Fabrice and others, thank you so much for the replies. I do try hard not to post for advice or questions unless I've first searched the forum for answers, so it was a little embarrassing for me to discover that several people had asked virtually the same questions as me - but your patience in answering them as well as me is admirable. I'm now working on a small layout with one siding and doing some experimenting, and I'm sure I'll learn a tremendous amount from that. I've worked hard on an eventual layout that I want to control via iTrain, but I suspect that I will have to make many modifications to it once I learn more about optimal block sizes and feedbacks and other related items. My available space is indeed just 120 x 240 cm and it looks like I'll need to reduce the sizes of trains so that I can fit them properly into the smaller blocks that my layout will require - I may up selling and parting with last year's insider loco (39170) and the 5 cars, because they're just too long for my layout. However, live and learn BigGrin - thank you, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline PMPeter  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2018 21:02:26(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi John,

I'm not sure about iTrain since I use Rocrail, however, in Rocrail you can have crossing blocks so that your longer trains can go through these shorter blocks and not be affected by the sensors in that block. That way if you have longer trains that fit into station tracks, mainline tracks, sidings, etc. they can use these short blocks as a transit area, but will not stop in them. Therefore, before you sell any trains make sure you are not trying to fit every train into every block. You don't want the shortest block dictating your train length.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#8 Posted : 08 February 2018 23:41:14(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Ahh - I am not sure iTrain will do that - I don't see 'crossing' or something like it in the list of block types. But, it's possible that, via feedback behavior, one can still do this. You've given me something else to investigate!

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline Thewolf  
#9 Posted : 09 February 2018 00:14:48(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
If I understand (I'm not sure) that what John wants is for a 130 cm long train to fit into a smaller block, is that it? Or something like that?

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline PMPeter  
#10 Posted : 09 February 2018 01:16:58(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Ahh - I am not sure iTrain will do that - I don't see 'crossing' or something like it in the list of block types. But, it's possible that, via feedback behavior, one can still do this. You've given me something else to investigate!

Cheers, John

In Rocrail a crossing block is not a block type, but it is defined when you establish a route. Let's use an example:

You are trying to go from block 1 to block 3 via block 2. Block 1 is 1,000 mm long, block 2 is 400 mm long and block 3 is 1,200 mm long. The train is 800 mm long. So when you define the route 1 to 3 you define block 2 as a crossing block. In that way any train between approx. 380 mm and 900 mm can go from block 1 to 3 without stopping at 2. Any train shorter than approx. 380 mm can stop in block 2 as well as the others. I say approx. 380 mm since for a 400 mm track Rocrail applies a percentage deduction to ensure the train will fit in the block.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Thewolf  
#11 Posted : 09 February 2018 12:36:06(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
In Itrain (as in any software I believe) there are stop blocks and transition blocks.

Two important things:

-In a 180 cm stop block, a 160 cm train can be parked in a problem and if there are two contacts, whether they are activated (depending on their position in the block), it doesn't matter.

- In a transition block, the train just passes through

Well, if the train measures 200 cm, in a 180 cm block, I guess the last car is on the turnout. I don't know because I design my trains according to the length of the stop block.

Example : 39170 and 43856 = 165 cm. This train won't run in this condition on my network... but with 3 cars and the locomotive... it's just for the longest track of my station....

I have two 45-50 cm transition blocks (I don't know exactly) I don't take care of it.

I don't know if it fits in the context of the post but since I thought I read stop and transition block and I use Itrain, I thought it was good to intervene.

Thewolf
Offline PeFu  
#12 Posted : 09 February 2018 14:35:36(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
TrainController Gold can manage trains that are longer than the current block. Cool
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline PMPeter  
#13 Posted : 09 February 2018 16:47:50(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
In Itrain (as in any software I believe) there are stop blocks and transition blocks.

Two important things:

-In a 180 cm stop block, a 160 cm train can be parked in a problem and if there are two contacts, whether they are activated (depending on their position in the block), it doesn't matter.

Well, if the train measures 200 cm, in a 180 cm block, I guess the last car is on the turnout. I don't know because I design my trains according to the length of the stop block.

Example : 39170 and 43856 = 165 cm. This train won't run in this condition on my network... but with 3 cars and the locomotive... it's just for the longest track of my station....

I have two 45-50 cm transition blocks (I don't know exactly) I don't take care of it.

I don't know if it fits in the context of the post but since I thought I read stop and transition block and I use Itrain, I thought it was good to intervene.

Thewolf

It sounds like iTrain uses the term Transition Block to describe what Rocrail calls a Crossing Block. So John don't sell your train just yet until you explore this possibility.

Peter
Offline Thewolf  
#14 Posted : 09 February 2018 18:00:11(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

Two important things:

Thewolf

It sounds like iTrain uses the term Transition Block to describe what Rocrail calls a Crossing Block. So John don't sell your train just yet until you explore this possibility.

Peter

The feedback contacts in the blocks make it possible to report whether the block is occupied or not.

Suppose track 1 of the block is occupied, so no train can enter it.

What are the other trains leaving for this busy block going to do ?

Will they stay in a transitional block... even smaller in length than the train itself?

I'd like to know that... I haven't yet reached this Itrain "automatic" use: I'm in the testing phase.

Thewolf

Offline Thewolf  
#15 Posted : 09 February 2018 18:06:42(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

Two important things:

Thewolf

Peter

That's me who uses the term transition block...I don't remember what it's called in the Itrain manual.

Offline johnpatrickwack  
#16 Posted : 09 February 2018 18:17:35(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Thanks for all the info! If you do remember the name iTrain uses or how it is done, could you send it to me? I've looked all through the manual but couldn't find any mention of it. It does say that trains can only use blocks they fit in, but if blocklength = 0, the software assumes that any train will fit. So, I guess there is either an explicit way that I can't find in the manual or it can be done using some other techniques such as blocklength of 0.

The iTrain developer seems very much on the ball, so I suspect there is a way to do this, we just don't know what it is BigGrin .

Thank you, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline Thewolf  
#17 Posted : 09 February 2018 19:13:45(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Thanks for all the info! If you do remember the name iTrain uses or how it is done, could you send it to me? I've looked all through the manual but couldn't find any mention of it. It does say that trains can only use blocks they fit in, but if blocklength = 0, the software assumes that any train will fit. So, I guess there is either an explicit way that I can't find in the manual or it can be done using some other techniques such as blocklength of 0.

The iTrain developer seems very much on the ball, so I suspect there is a way to do this, we just don't know what it is BigGrin .

Thank you, John

John.

Did you ask the question on the Itrain forum? I'd like to follow this on the forum... I'm interested because as I said: I'm in testing with Itrain

I am Carolo55 on Itrain forum