Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline See.See.Rider  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2018 18:23:31(UTC)
See.See.Rider

United Kingdom   
Hello All,

Can anyone please tell me why Märklin’s gauge 1 Rheingold Coaches have been made shorter than scale length?

I was about to order a set and then I read in a review that they are 65mm shorter than scale length! I have always thought that the Märklin gauge 1 releases are all in accurate scale ( except the Maxi range of course). The Silberlings are the full 825mm length. So why not the Rheingold? Does anyone know Märklin’s reason for this?

Thank you.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2018 20:28:29(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by: See.See.Rider Go to Quoted Post
So why not the Rheingold? Does anyone know Märklin’s reason for this?
I don't know. I hope you do not mind a bit of speculation.

The other 26.4 m coaches (like Aüm) are all made at a reduced length of 75 cm.
The Rheingold coaches are a re-run of a 2012 model which looks to me like mostly a livery variation of a 2008 Rheingold set - and maybe the moulds are even older.
The Silberlinge are a new construction and AFAIK the first Märklin I gauge coaches of 26.4 m prototypes at full length scale.
The Rheingold is a legacy construction at reduced length scale (too short by 75 mm).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2018 20:48:34(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

The SILBERLINGE still come from the HÜBNER - heritage, so they are exact scale. They are based on a development HÜBNER never finished. Exact scale length wagons don't like the 1020 radius which is still widely used.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
H0xxup
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2018 21:02:40(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Exact scale length wagons don't like the 1020 radius which is still widely used.
This radius is given as the minimum radius for the Silberlinge.
But it sounds as if there are potential problems with the extra clearance required in curves due to the longer length.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline See.See.Rider  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2018 21:19:19(UTC)
See.See.Rider

United Kingdom   
Thank you very much for your responses. I think that makes sense. I really care about accuracy above all else, so I will have to pass on the Rheingold Coaches. I’ve learnt that Kiss offer their coaches in the shortened 760mm as well as the full 825mm. I suppose it must indeed be to do with the standard radiii of curves adopted. Still seems crazy to me. In our world we care about these things surely. For the others there is LGB and Maxi. I hope Märklin can introduce some more new design coaches in full scale length. Unfortunately I can’t easily afford the more expensive brands yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by See.See.Rider
H0
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2018 19:20:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: See.See.Rider Go to Quoted Post
In our world we care about these things surely.
In H0 gauge we have many different length scales - Märklin items range from 1:80 to 1:110 and even shorter.
And when the discussion comes up then there will always be some folks who avoid shortened coaches while other folks prefer shortened coaches as they allow shorter platforms on the layout.

The manufacturers decide what they produce, we decide what we buy. You cannot have a model railroad without compromises.
We decide where we compromise and where not. I keep the shortened coaches I have, but will not buy more.

A layout built with shortened coaches in mind may not allow running full-length coaches. This applies to H0 gauge and I gauge and maybe other gauges too.

Caveat emptor: product descriptions are not always as clear as some collectors want.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0