Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2018 17:53:33(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I have recently reported to you that I fried my 6021 over Christmas and have been considering my future options. 6021's seem to command serious money on EBay for kit that will be 10-30 years old and although people say they are indestructible - I managed. I didn't feel the cost of the full Monty CS3 was justified yet.

So sniffing around I have concluded what may turn out to be deal of the century or I have bopped a serious drollock.

From a little old toyshop I spied an LGB start set 70530 brand new but obviously had been out on demo/display/inspection for the sum of £699 which arrived today. So now I am the proud owner of the following:

CS2 - 60215
Switched power thingy 51095 rated 22Volts
A BR 99 mfx LGB engine with smoke sound etc - very basic but cute
Two stake cars
An oval of track

Everything seems fine it was up and running very quickly on the lounge floor.

So what have I achieved

A cs2 for my main ho layout as well
A little LGB set up which has been a secret yearning for many many years - that's the Xmas layout sorted - thats grandson and another on the way to be kept amused at a distance and maybe outside - my wife who is mainly indifferent to matters model railway seems tickled pink - the cats who normally just swipe hobby signals into extinction sat quietly and watched - and me with my problems of deafness, well if you cant hear the sounds this little lok makes you would probaly be promounced dead.

Now then I promise you this will not be the start of a load of posts with questions it seems to me that this forum has dealt with every CS2 issue going most adequately - having said that I am going to ask just one question before I go!

The switched power thing 51095 is beautifully weather proofed for outdoor use but is rated at 22Volts. Can I use this to power up the CS2 when using it for Ho operation?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2018 18:09:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
I have recently reported to you that I fried my 6021 over Christmas and have been considering my future options. 6021's seem to command serious money on EBay for kit that will be 10-30 years old and although people say they are indestructible - I managed. I didn't feel the cost of the full Monty CS3 was justified yet.

So sniffing around I have concluded what may turn out to be deal of the century or I have bopped a serious drollock.

From a little old toyshop I spied an LGB start set 70530 brand new but obviously had been out on demo/display/inspection for the sum of £699 which arrived today. So now I am the proud owner of the following:

CS2 - 60215
Switched power thingy 51095 rated 22Volts
A BR 99 mfx LGB engine with smoke sound etc - very basic but cute
Two stake cars
An oval of track

Everything seems fine it was up and running very quickly on the lounge floor.

So what have I achieved

A cs2 for my main ho layout as well
A little LGB set up which has been a secret yearning for many many years - that's the Xmas layout sorted - thats grandson and another on the way to be kept amused at a distance and maybe outside - my wife who is mainly indifferent to matters model railway seems tickled pink - the cats who normally just swipe hobby signals into extinction sat quietly and watched - and me with my problems of deafness, well if you cant hear the sounds this little lok makes you would probaly be promounced dead.

Now then I promise you this will not be the start of a load of posts with questions it seems to me that this forum has dealt with every CS2 issue going most adequately - having said that I am going to ask just one question before I go!

The switched power thing 51095 is beautifully weather proofed for outdoor use but is rated at 22Volts. Can I use this to power up the CS2 when using it for Ho operation?

Sounds like you scored a little beauty there.

Yes, you should be able to use that power supply with HO, IIRC the Marklin supply provides 22V.

If you go up to Ians place in Scotland for his summer Open House you should bring the loco and wagons to run, as typically GlennM puts his LGB out on the patio. Have a look at the photos from his previous open house postings ... whoops, can't find the thread with the pictures.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2018 18:14:21(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Can I use this to power up the CS2 when using it for Ho operation?
22 V is the maximum digital voltage allowed for current Märklin locos as shown on current boxes.
So there shouldn't be any problems with warranty and such.

Wear on the loco motors could be higher than with 19 V (voltage of the Märklin power supplies for the CS2). And light bulbs in locos and coaches may burn out earlier.

The track voltage will be about the same as you got from your CU 6021 with 16 V AC input voltage, so things won't be worse than with your CU 6021.

Re Indestructible CU 6021
Several folks had to replace the output transistors on the CU 6021. Are you sure your CU is FUBAR?
Since many CU 6021s were sold in starter sets I would assume you can get them cheaply from eBay and other second hand platforms.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2018 23:34:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I went looking on ebay, and the three offerings of this set there are all over £1000 ... so you got a good bargain ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan