Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bart  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2018 12:49:15(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
I just received my 29487 SBB Zürich S-Bahn Digital Starter Set.

It is a great way to obtain a second Re 420 LION loco, to complement the 37347 for the typical S-Bahn consist, as well as the new black mobile station set.
In addition, the set contains the typical starter set oval with 2 turnouts, and a HVZ AB (1st/2nd class) and B (2nd class) bi-level car.

The full description is here https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/details/article/29487/

The good news is that the Re 420 loco (with road number 420 203) is fully similar to the 37347 420 227 loco, as far as I can see.
No cheap starter set version - the same details, and the full set of mfx and sound functions, including red/white marker light, long distance headlights, and single-side headlight switch-off for consists and push-pull operation.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
37347 (left) and 29487 (right)

It is the first time that Märklin has issued an AB (1st/2nd class) ZVV car, as the 28505 and 43497 sets only contained 2nd class cars.
The present cars, however, are a little less detailed than the 43497 set from 2014: the road number text print is larger, and the vents are not colored.
The blue color is matching, the white band is more greyish that that of the 43497.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
43497 (left) and 29487 (right)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Combining the 29487 with a 43497 set would be the easiest way to build a push-pull consist, though far from prototypical

UserPostedImage
I will use the Roco 64132/64133 1:93 sets for a typical B-AB-B-B-AB-B configuration, although the Roco cars have some difficulties with the R1 curve turnouts (even when pulled only)

Edited by user 03 January 2018 22:37:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

*Bart
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Bart
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2018 22:54:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Thank you for this post. I am waiting for my Re 420 and the coaches. The set was listed for just under EUR 500, but I found the locomotive and coaches alone for EUR 325 on ebay. I was thinking that this was a decent price, but just after I concluded the transaction, I found a North American dealer who was selling the complete set for $50 more than what the transaction cost me in $CAD.

I have two of the 43497, and I will probably need only one set for my S-Bahn consist. If anybody is looking for an unused set, contact me by PM.

As far as the Floco (Fleischmann-Roco) 28cm S-Bahn coaches, if you are using them with dual locomotives, make sure that you are using either Roco close couplers, Fleischmann Profi Couplings or Roco's Universal Couplings as the Maerklin 7203 can hit the buffers, causing the train to tilt to one side and derail. As the Maerklin locomotives do not have close coupling mechanisms, make sure that you are using Roco universal couplers on the end coaches and the locomotive end facing the coaches.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bart  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2018 23:25:43(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for this post. I am waiting for my Re 420 and the coaches. The set was listed for just under EUR 500, but I found the locomotive and coaches alone for EUR 325 on ebay. I was thinking that this was a decent price, but just after I concluded the transaction, I found a North American dealer who was selling the complete set for $50 more than what the transaction cost me in $CAD.

I have two of the 43497, and I will probably need only one set for my S-Bahn consist. If anybody is looking for an unused set, contact me by PM.

I also have two 43497 sets (and planning to sell one). How will you combine the cars? I will probably use the 43497 set with the Fleischmann AB and Bt with round ZVV logos but still am not sure how to use the 29487 cars.

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

As far as the Floco (Fleischmann-Roco) 28cm S-Bahn coaches, if you are using them with dual locomotives, make sure that you are using either Roco close couplers, Fleischmann Profi Couplings or Roco's Universal Couplings as the Maerklin 7203 can hit the buffers, causing the train to tilt to one side and derail. As the Maerklin locomotives do not have close coupling mechanisms, make sure that you are using Roco universal couplers on the end coaches and the locomotive end facing the coaches.

Regards

Mike C

Thanks for the tip! I just exchanged the Roco 40271 couplers for M* close couplers, as the cars don't fit into their boxes with Roco or Fleischmann couplers. Turns out to be a poor decision, so I will change back to Roco couplers. As a matter of fact, the cars derailed when using the Roco close couplers - I will have to check later whether it was related to hitting the buffers or not.

Edited by user 05 January 2018 11:07:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

*Bart
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bart