Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Spartacus  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2017 16:06:04(UTC)
Spartacus

United States   
Hi everyone! Did a lot of American HO (Athearn, Atlas, KATO) as a kid with my dad.
I’m new to Marklin Z and trying to get a good setup that will be able to potentially transfer and load layouts with switches and different combinations of locos as I build and rebuild, etc.

I have been planning and collecting track and other bits in preparation for my first build, but I do not yet have an electrical transformer (digital or analog) so I’m open to suggestions and advice.

Mainly I’m looking to be able to program and store/save multiple full layouts - turnouts, signals, etc. as I will be building small Z scale layouts into large-ish flight cases, briefcases, etc. These will have 2-4 locos, and up to, say 16 turnouts, plus other operational bits, possibly to include scenic lighting and motion down the line.

The Mobile Station 2 or 3 caught my eye as a good entry point, but then I saw the CS3... which looks awesome and seems to do all of the above and then some!

What are the Mobile Stations capable of storing (permanently, like on a hard drive)? I can’t tell from the literature whether the locos are stored permanently and if layout settings are retained even when a unit is plugged/unplugged.

What are your experiences (positive and frustrating) about the MS2 if you use that unit?

And if anyone has upgraded from MS2/3 to CS3, what are your pro/con on the ease of use and storage capabilities of the CS3 over the MS units?

Thanks!

Offline kgsjoqvist  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2017 16:29:52(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Spartacus Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone! Did a lot of American HO (Athearn, Atlas, KATO) as a kid with my dad.
I’m new to Marklin Z and trying to get a good setup that will be able to potentially transfer and load layouts with switches and different combinations of locos as I build and rebuild, etc.

I have been planning and collecting track and other bits in preparation for my first build, but I do not yet have an electrical transformer (digital or analog) so I’m open to suggestions and advice.

Mainly I’m looking to be able to program and store/save multiple full layouts - turnouts, signals, etc. as I will be building small Z scale layouts into large-ish flight cases, briefcases, etc. These will have 2-4 locos, and up to, say 16 turnouts, plus other operational bits, possibly to include scenic lighting and motion down the line.

The Mobile Station 2 or 3 caught my eye as a good entry point, but then I saw the CS3... which looks awesome and seems to do all of the above and then some!

What are the Mobile Stations capable of storing (permanently, like on a hard drive)? I can’t tell from the literature whether the locos are stored permanently and if layout settings are retained even when a unit is plugged/unplugged.

What are your experiences (positive and frustrating) about the MS2 if you use that unit?

And if anyone has upgraded from MS2/3 to CS3, what are your pro/con on the ease of use and storage capabilities of the CS3 over the MS units?

Thanks!

First: Z scale and digital requires a bit of your own expertise - the locos don’t have decoders...

Second: MS2 can store 10 locos internally. If you have more you can use memory cards. Accessories like turnouts and signals can be controlled but only by address (DCC or MM). No layout plan... The Unit remembers the entries even when unplugged (for years) - and mfx decoders sade their own settings in the Decoder Itself. But no mfx decoders World fit in a Z loco AFAIK.

CS3 is a more competent unit, but also more expensive. I’d recommend testing the MS first and upgrade when you miss some of the features of CS later on. MS can be used as an extra controller - so it is far from wasted money. I revently upgraded to CS3 to get more power to the track, feedback and computer connectivity...
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kgsjoqvist
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2017 16:39:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kgsjoqvist Go to Quoted Post
Second: MS2 can store 10 locos internally.
MS2 can store 40 locos internally.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0