Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Richard556  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2017 11:40:09(UTC)
Richard556

New Zealand   
I have just purchased a secondhand Marklin 5501 set from 1991 with the KPEV T3 tank locomotive.

The set is in as new condition and the locomotive has an older protocol Marklin 6085 c85 Lenz DCC decoder. On being unboxed I powered the locomotive up with an MS2 using DCC mode and the locomotive happily did a slightly stuttering first lap of the track. I then reversed the locomotive and that was the end of it - no movement forward or reverse, lights flashing.

Since then I've tried the loco with analogue AC, MS3 and CS2. I've tried to reprogram it with the CS2 and the locomotive clearly is receiving commands, because the headlights come on and change over when the loco us addressed, but it doesn't move.

Any ideas? Should the CS2/MS2 be able to control this sort of older decoder in DCC mode? Is it possible it is stuck in some sort of programming mode? Or is the 27 year old decoder just past its best and due for a modern replacement?

Any and all thoughts welcome?

Richard
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 28 December 2017 18:36:38(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Richard,

I never experienced it myself, but I heard, that some of the old decoders don't like a multi-protocol environment. It is worth a try to switch off all other protocols (MM, mfx) and to run it only with DCC 14.

Regards

Markus
Offline Richard556  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2017 12:05:36(UTC)
Richard556

New Zealand   
Thanks for the good suggestion. I have tried the locomotive with my MS2 in DCC only mode but still no joy - and the fact it won't respond to analogue control (there is an audible click at the change of direction and the headlights change over but no movement) suggests an issue with the decoder. Might be time for an upgrade to a decoder with sound!

Richard
Offline gcanton  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2018 11:58:14(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
Indeed old decoders do not like a multiple format environment. I have a silver museum BR80 which works fine with an added MRC steam sounder on a rolling road but fails to work on the track with mixed data. An idea to make your life easier with some of the older models where the lighting wiring is a fiddle is to just piggyback a modern decoder for the motor and leave the old one and lighting wiring intact. If you are going sound not so useful as there is more tinkering with CV's and programming to do. You can often unplug the power feed to the old decoder whilst you do the motor setup on the piggybacked decoder. If it was stuttering get it to run smoothly though or you may fry the new decoder and indeed it may recover the old one. To programme the old one is an archaic registry programming trip not CV's and it not supported by most 21st Century controllers or programmers. You can find the old Marklin kit cheaply and I have posted the instructions here I believe as the box may not come with them. As the whole system predates the internet and the easy sharing of PDF's information is a bit scarce.

Graham