Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NXTrain  
#1 Posted : 20 December 2017 16:31:11(UTC)
NXTrain

United States   
Hello again, I'm hoping that the members of this form might be able to help me regarding another issue I've run into rehabbing my old Marklin trains. This time it involves a Marklin model 4016 railbus trailer. The light is no longer functioning and when I opened it, the light bulb/socket was completely detached. The problem I'm having is that I've been unable to locate any documentation on how this bulb was attached to the trailer, and its not entirely clear looking at the parts I have how it could even be repaired.

Here is a picture of the damage:

IMG_5826.JPG

Does anyone know how I can go about repairing this?

Thanks in advance!
Online PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2017 17:01:08(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi,

Here is the link for the parts diagram of the 4018 trailer:

Cheers
Peter
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2017 17:20:37(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NXTrain Go to Quoted Post
Hello again, I'm hoping that the members of this form might be able to help me regarding another issue I've run into rehabbing my old Marklin trains. This time it involves a Marklin model 4016 railbus trailer. The light is no longer functioning and when I opened it, the light bulb/socket was completely detached. The problem I'm having is that I've been unable to locate any documentation on how this bulb was attached to the trailer, and its not entirely clear looking at the parts I have how it could even be repaired.

Thanks in advance!

If you unscrew the bulb from the holder then you may get a better idea how the threaded holder attaches to the base of the 4016, I think from memory it will be riveted.

There are a couple of versions of the Trailer, can you add a photo of the underside of yours?

I have a couple of 4016 units, I'll get them out later this morning and take some photos, the parts view is correct but not entirely clear on details. I'm a fan of the Railbuses too, I'm sure we'll get yours sorted quickly.

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2017 17:39:11(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

This is not a simple job. The bulb-holder is riveted to the chassis. The bulb-holder came with the chassis, when ordered in former times. Form the photo it looks like only the rivet is broken. So you need a new rivet #788220 and an insulation washer #722110. Unfortunately the rivet is no longer available. I expect that a half part of the broken rivet is still in the bulb-holder.

An alternative could be just to install a bulb-socket as used for buildings inside the car. At least simpler than to drill out the old rivet.

Regards

Markus
Offline NXTrain  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2017 17:40:11(UTC)
NXTrain

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NXTrain Go to Quoted Post

Thanks in advance!

If you unscrew the bulb from the holder then you may get a better idea how the threaded holder attaches to the base of the 4016, I think from memory it will be riveted.

There are a couple of versions of the Trailer, can you add a photo of the underside of yours?

I have a couple of 4016 units, I'll get them out later this morning and take some photos, the parts view is correct but not entirely clear on details. I'm a fan of the Railbuses too, I'm sure we'll get yours sorted quickly.

Steve

Thank you both. It does look as if the bulb holder was rived at one point based on the diagram that PMPeter linked to. Here's a picture of the underside:

IMG_5827.JPG
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2017 17:43:51(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

If you unscrew the slider you will see the other side of the rivet.

Regards

Markus
Offline NXTrain  
#7 Posted : 20 December 2017 17:48:08(UTC)
NXTrain

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

This is not a simple job. The bulb-holder is riveted to the chassis. The bulb-holder came with the chassis, when ordered in former times. Form the photo it looks like only the rivet is broken. So you need a new rivet and an insulation washer #722110. Unfortunately the rivet is no longer available. I expect that a half part of the broken rivet is still in the bulb-holder.

An alternative could be just to install a bulb-socket as used for buildings inside the car. At least simpler than to drill out the old rivet.

Regards

Markus

Thank you. I was worried about this model being too old for spare parts. It does appear that the rivet has broken off. I still do have the washer, but I'm not sure if that its all that useful at this point:

IMG_5828.JPG

Edited by user 21 December 2017 02:47:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Markus Schild  
#8 Posted : 20 December 2017 17:57:18(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Here is a quick and dirty sketch how it should look like. Bulb-holder: red, washer: blue, rivet: black.

UserPostedImage

Regards

Markus
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 21 December 2017 02:02:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
You're almost there, if you want to repair this, use a drill, drill out the rivet and replace it with a screw and nut, the screw will sit inside the bulb holder and the nut is underneath the chassis., just make sure the insulation washer is placed between the screw and the bulb holder.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 21 December 2017 05:42:32(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
You're almost there, if you want to repair this, use a drill, drill out the rivet and replace it with a screw and nut, the screw will sit inside the bulb holder and the nut is underneath the chassis., just make sure the insulation washer is placed between the screw and the bulb holder.

regards.,

John

you bet me to it, simple repair, quick and reliable, assuming of course access to a range of small screws & nuts.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline sudibarba  
#11 Posted : 22 December 2017 06:56:04(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Take some flexible sealer like 3 M 5200 and glue the base in place. Will last a long
time but not a real repair.
Eric
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 22 December 2017 07:00:32(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post
Take some flexible sealer like 3 M 5200 and glue the base in place. Will last a long
Eric

Not very conductive but...
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline NXTrain  
#13 Posted : 29 December 2017 21:33:53(UTC)
NXTrain

United States   
Great, thanks for all the replies. So, it seems like I have a few options here - drill out existing rivet and attach old holder with a screw, reattach the old holder using glue over existing rivet remnant, or wire a new light/holder to the existing rivet.

Regarding the first option (drill and new screw), I believe that the original bulb holder has broken off at the base which is the silver washer like piece I found. Here's a zoomed picture of the piece I'm talking about:

IMG_5828-2.jpg

I'm thinking the screw repair might not work since the base of the holder is missing. Is it still possible to purchase a replacement holder? Or are those no longer made?

Regarding the third option of wiring in a new light, I'm a little confused as to how the current flows to the bulb. The rivet must bring current up from the center of the track via the shoe on the bottom of the model. But where is the second connection to the chassis being made? It seems like the area around the bulb is painted and non-conductive:

IMG_5826-3.jpg

Wiring up a new light would involve one wire to the remnant of the old rivet, but I'm not sure where the second wire would go.

Offline sudibarba  
#14 Posted : 31 December 2017 05:11:55(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Eric

Correct, but I have done it with bulb holders that are wired. Seems I did with an old V200.
will check.
Eric
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#15 Posted : 02 January 2018 22:52:33(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Eric

Correct, but I have done it with bulb holders that are wired. Seems I did with an old V200.
will check.
Eric

This kind of light sockret should work: https://www.conrad.se/Universell-Belysningssockel-Faller-180661-F%E4rdig-modell-1-st.htm?websale8=conrad-swe&pi=497771

K-G / H0 and Z model train user