Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahner  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2017 06:56:51(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Hello!

I'm considering Z scale for my next layout (this will be my first Z scale endeavor). I have some experience with N scale.

I've designed two Z branch line style layouts and both have their pros and cons. One is the typical 'Round-and-round' style and the other would be similar, but a more true-to-life 'There-and-back again' with manual turntables on each end (uncoupling, turntable rotation and switch positioning to be accomplished via manually operated remote switches).

Online, I haven't found any 'There-and-back again' layouts other than narrow 'shelf' type layouts. For the more experienced railroaders, does the question of which layout style to use come down to the question of ease of construction or the more continuous operation of the trains (or both) being preferred with the 'Round-and-round' style when using this scale? If you were to go to an exhibit or show, would you like to see more 'There-and-back again' style layouts?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ralph.
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2017 11:40:41(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hello Ralph,

Welcome to the forum. The advantage of having a circle of track is that it makes running-in new locos easy. Shunting trains is a bit more fiddly in this scale but it definitely can be done. One way to disguise a circular/oval layout is to have a scenic break dividing your layout into distinct areas; if you cannot see the entire layout (at least from near track level) from one place, it gets away from that train set feel. Even if you have an oval of track you don't have to operate it that way; you could go from one side to the other and then reverse back (rather than just going round & round).

At the exhibitions that I have been to, I have seen end-to-end layouts but I guess most people go for a variation of a round-and-round layout (even if its just return loops) for the simple reason that it is easier to keep things moving all the time. [I think constant movement is the key for a good exhibition layout.] But even with the round-and-round layouts, a disguise is usually employed to hide that fact.

In the end, I guess there is no right answer; it's really down to what you like.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Bahner  
#3 Posted : 19 December 2017 18:20:19(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Hi Carim,

Thank you for your insightful reply. While I do like to keep a layout close to real world design, with this small scale I can see the advantages of the round-and-round style.

Ralph.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bahner