Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mfh  
#1 Posted : 16 December 2017 12:10:15(UTC)
Mfh

Spain   
I'm building a model Railway with the Starter Set 29721 and the extension set 24905 and I'm using the layout S3 & C5 from the manual Track Plans. This layout has 4 sidings

Am I right in thinking if I want to emulate a working goods yard I will need an uncoupling track on every siding?

Common sense tells me the answer is yes which then leads to another question

I saw on You Tube a video mentioning the following terms 'Relex' or 'Close Couplers' then a reference to 'Telex'

The Vid also mentions something about 'Mounting Telex on a Locomotive'

I'm aware that the beginning part of setting up a MRR is quite important not to go down any wrong streets (so to speak) so I would rally appreciate if some one could give me a rundown on what I need to get for uncoupling trains and wagons

Many Thanks in advance to anyone who responds :-)
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 16 December 2017 14:22:12(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Mfh,

Relex couplers are the name for old type manual couplers fitted on locomotives and wagons.

Telex couplers are special couplers that can be activated via an electromagnet from a decoder. Normally these are fitted on locomotives and standard on newer freight lococomotives.

If you have a loco with telex you can drive the freight wagon anywhere on the layout and drop the first wagon that is connected to the locomotive.

Close couplers are newer, modern version of the old relex couplers which enable a smaller gap between the wagons, which specially on passenger wagons looks better.

For a small goods yard you don’t need uncoupler track at every siding. Similiar to prototypically yards you could have 1 uncoupler at the entry, then drive over the uncoupler, activate it and that wagon will become free. You then push the wagon to the siding you want it.

But some modellers also have at each siding. You have to figure out how you want to do the shutting. If you have a long train set you just want to split up in each siding then place the uncoupler at the beginning of the siding.

Remember that uncoupler needs to be fitted at a straight track section.

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Mfh  
#3 Posted : 16 December 2017 15:13:57(UTC)
Mfh

Spain   
Hi Lasse,
thank you very much for all that info things are a bit clearer now :-)

As I have a Freight locomotive and I think the Set (29721) is relativity recent, can I assume the Locomotive will have the Telex couplers fitted?

I haven't actually unboxed the locomotive yet as I want to get the basic infrastructure set up before running it

Best Regards,
Michael
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 16 December 2017 17:20:45(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Michael,

No unfortunately not.

See Marklin description of set:

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/29721/

But you can still do your shunting by using an uncoupler and pushing the wagons aroundThumpUp

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 17 December 2017 08:23:59(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Mfh,

Couplers 101:

Relex and close couplers can use the uncoupler track when reversing, or be uncoupled manually using an icecream stick (paddle) or similar when stationery.
Telex couplers cannot use an uncoupler track, but are activated remotely as described by Lasse.
These are fitted to locomotives specially for the purpose.
Not many locos have them as standard, but most locos can be retrofitted.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Mfh  
#6 Posted : 19 December 2017 14:33:59(UTC)
Mfh

Spain   
Thank you everyone for all the info
Offline hxmiesa  
#7 Posted : 09 January 2018 15:12:44(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hum. I think it should be added that the "relex" part of the coupler, is the small cap that covers the hook of the coupler, so that the loop doesnt grip around the hook after being uncoupled over an uncoupler track. (Many words for describing something that is better explained with pictures)

Märklin was very fond of relex coupler in the old days; They allowed for a single uncoupling track to be positioned BEFORE the switches, so that all waggons could be uncoupled, and pushed to their respective sidings without the couplers closing again.
Waggons with normal couplers (those with just the hook and loop -but no cap!) would indeed need an uncoupling track on each siding.
THAT is the diference between "normal" and "relex" couplers.

Further than that; all modern Märklin close-couplers are relex-couplers too, as they have the mentioned cap. (AFAIK)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2018 17:14:37(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Hum. I think it should be added that the "relex" part of the coupler, is the small cap that covers the hook of the coupler, so that the loop doesnt grip around the hook after being uncoupled over an uncoupler track. (Many words for describing something that is better explained with pictures)

Märklin was very fond of relex coupler in the old days; They allowed for a single uncoupling track to be positioned BEFORE the switches, so that all waggons could be uncoupled, and pushed to their respective sidings without the couplers closing again.
Waggons with normal couplers (those with just the hook and loop -but no cap!) would indeed need an uncoupling track on each siding.
THAT is the diference between "normal" and "relex" couplers.

Further than that; all modern Märklin close-couplers are relex-couplers too, as they have the mentioned cap. (AFAIK)

Yes, This useful and unique feature of Relex is sometimes referred to as "pre-uncoupling".

It is not always understood (or used) but there are simple illustrations in some earlier catalogues that show very easily how it works.

ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image