Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fje  
#1 Posted : 25 November 2017 12:48:22(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Hi, a friend is re-building his layout and at the time of starting the cabling connection a doubt arises, how to connect the Viessmann 5217 S88 decoder he will be using.

He is using a CS2 central station with a 6017 booster as intermediate to the layout, mainly for "protecting" the CS2 if any problem.

Tracks are Märklin K tracks.

For feedback he will use "rail isolated method" and Viessmann 5217 S88 decoders.

As far as we know with the "old" central stations, as Intellibox I personally have, for instance, the "ground" cable was included in the S88 flat cable connection to the central, but with the more modern ones, as CS2 is, that were designed with the "galvanic isolation" technique, the ground is not connected to that cable, so, there is a need to connect ground to one of the 5217 at least.

Question then is, where should we connect the 5217 ground to? To the CS2 ground (which one? the track output? the programming track?) To the booster (again, which one)? To the non isolated rail of the tracks? I bet for the first or the last one, but we are not sure.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards.

Javier
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 25 November 2017 15:48:56(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
For your first S88 type decoder that is connected to the CS2 make a connection from the "inverted T" connection to the brown "O" wiring for your track power. Your programming track should always be isolated from other connections. I do not have a Viessmann 5217 and I see it has 2 "inverted T" connection points, so I do not know if both need connection or not.

Peter
Offline fje  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2017 15:55:25(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Peter, thanks.

I was doing a quick search of the forum (what I should have done before starting a new thread... ooops, sorry for that) and found a couple of threads already discussing the same question.

My assumption is that, even having a booster between the CS2 and the layout, the "T" terminal of the 5217 should be connected to the CS2 ground ("O").

Regards.

Javier

Edited by user 25 November 2017 23:21:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified