Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline guitartoys  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2017 00:35:46(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Hello again,

I'm just trying to sort out the 3 conductors going from the switch control unit over to the transfer table.

In cracking open the control switch, I can see there is a bridge rectifier in there, so it is flipping AC to DC

And as it is a DC motor, they are flipping the polarity on the motor to change it's direction.

I want to control this with the CTI-Controllers, and am trying to sort out what the green wire if for.

In looking at the underside, there are 3 rails.

The innermost - Red is non-descript, and runs the length.

The middle rail is Green, and has plastic bumps to what I assume are to disconnect the contact to make it stop.

The Outside rail is black and is also non-descript.

But the metal fingers on the transfer unit itself is shorting out the green and black rails.

I'm trying to sort out how to computer control this.

I would appreciate any help

Thanks.

Michael
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2017 09:57:54(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Michael,

You already foud out that this a DC-system.

The control- knob has five positions. Up - Down - neutral - Pressed up - Pressed down. Up and down changes the polarity. If the bridge is a position between two rail-connections and the knob is up or down it is powered by green and black. If it reaches a rail-connection the power-supply is interrupted by the bumps and the bridge stops at right position. While the knob is pressed also the red rail gets current. So it can leave the position where the green current is interrupted. It runs on red (and green when it left the bump) and black.

Regards

Markus
Offline guitartoys  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2017 20:53:26(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Markus,

Something happened.

I basically cleaned up the contacts a bit, and now, it doesn't stop on the bumps. It just keeps rolling past each lane.

I checked continuity from the switch to the transfer table, and the 3 wires are good.

I really didn't do anything else.

Any ideas as to why the bumps aren't tripping it to stop?

It seems like the circuit just isn't getting interrupted by the bumps.

Thanks.

Michael
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2017 21:01:52(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Michael,

I know three possibilities:

1: The bumps are worn. (not very likely)
2: The wires are mismatched. When the two wires which are used to power the bridge are exchanged, the rail without the bumps is always powered.
3: The "spider" inside the control-panel is bent and the "legs" which should only have contact when the knob is pressed, always have contact.

Regards

Markus
Offline guitartoys  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2017 00:37:58(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Ya know what, I'm sure I flipped a wire on the switch unit

I had just finished desoldering the wire (RGB) on the switch unit, and said to myself, hmm, I didn't take a picture of that.

That sounds like it is the issue (flipped wire), as it was working perfectly before.

I'm pleased to report, I'm making good progress. I have 3 blocks powered up (center red), and have 2 more blocks to finish this evening.

Then I'll be walking into a ton of turnouts. So tomorrow will be a lot more work.

This layout is so old, I'm gently pulling up virtually all of the track as I go checking, cleaning, and fresh wire all along the way.

I'll take some pictures, but I have to say it was adorable.

I put power on this one segment that is like only 8 feet long, and ran an engine down it, and my friend said that's the 1st time that a locomotive has run on this layout since '96.

He was pretty happy.

Michael
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by guitartoys