Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline FV1974  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2017 09:15:34(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   

I noticed small elastic rings coming off my locomotive. Are these fit to the drive axle? Can I just put them back on or is there a special procedure I need to be aware of?

Also one of my locomotive has the end bits broken off so I cannot pull anything. Are replacement parts available somewhere? The locomotive is almost 20 years old

Thanks
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2017 10:18:20(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Yes, the rubber tires (Haftreifen in German and in Marklin terminology) are designed to improve adhesion to the rails. There is a groove in every powered wheel where you can mount the tire/elastic ring. But if it has come off, it should probably be replaced. The procedure is usually not very complicated unless it is a (steam) locomotive with driving rods that need to be removed first.

If you mean couplers then yes, they are available as replacement parts, but you should tell us the catalog number or type of the particular locomotive.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2017 10:21:43(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Those O rings probably are traction tyres. You can put them back on. If they come off again after short use, the must be replaced.
Procedure to replace them varies by loco model. More information (ref. number of the loco, running number of the loco, prototype class) would be helpful.

Spare parts are available for some locomotives and any dealer can order them for you or you can order directly from Märklin. More information would be helpful.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2017 12:34:56(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I see that you are in the UK. I don't think we have anyone here with an extensive range of bits and pieces though they do crop up occasionally on Ebay UK.

Of course there are lots of suppliers in Europe but you should be prepared for postage costs. You need to identify the engine then it should be a simple matter to find the part numbers for couplings and traction tyres.

Having said that, a good model shop should be able to offer some tyres that should fit.
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2017 14:22:33(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
There's a guy in the UK on Ebay - Peters Spares whose shop has over 9000 Model railway spares of which five (yes five) are Marklin and three of those are traction tyres! Quite reasonable price and postage. There's another guy in Italy whose spares are reasonable and postage very reasonable.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline FV1974  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2017 21:06:55(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
One of the trains which lost some of its 0 rings around the wheels is the one in the attached image. I have no reference number for it.
Can you help or is there a website I can look at models and try to identify it.

Red marklin loco

Regarding the one with the missing couplings, it is reference 3357

Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2017 23:20:42(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Ditto what everyone else said.

The traction tires ( 'murican spelling) fit into grooves in the driving axel wheels that are designed to accomidate them. You don't put them on non-driving wheels and not on wheels that don't have the groove in them. If they came off, its likely they have stretched and are past end of life. They are elastics and like all elastics, loose their elasticity after some time. Figure out which one you need (from the manual for the lok or by measuring the diameter on the wheel) and order replacements.

The couplers (assumign its not the decorative hoses) can be easy or harder to replace. If the coupler is in a NEM pocket then pulling the rest of the broken coupler out of the pocket and inserting a new NEM compatible coupler is simple (but you have to buy a new coupler ). If its not a NEM setup, then you probably have to unscrew some things to get the coupler out I think, but it can also be replaced. Parts can be found on ebay or ordered via any marklin dealer; even in the EU and shipped to you for not too much (for the time being)
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline ktsolias  
#8 Posted : 14 November 2017 23:27:42(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Originally Posted by: FV1974 Go to Quoted Post
One of the trains which lost some of its 0 rings around the wheels is the one in the attached image. I have no reference number for it.
Can you help or is there a website I can look at models and try to identify it.

Red marklin loco

Regarding the one with the missing couplings, it is reference 3357

The loco is a 3021 V200
Traction tires are 7154
Couplers are 211660 more difficult to find as they are not very common.

Costas
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline 1borna  
#9 Posted : 15 November 2017 21:35:31(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
In some models it is necessary to remove the plastic around the wheel, in the case of steam disassembling the lever.
With this model, nothing needs to be removed to put the tires on.
To put on a new gum should be patient because it does not always sit out of the first. I put it in the lower part
wheel in the groove and press with my finger, then carefully with the help of a needle pin or something like a circular pull on the wheel. After sitting down
he needs to look at him not to be overturned somewhere and to be in the groove everywhere.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 16 November 2017 00:01:03(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: 1borna Go to Quoted Post
In some models it is necessary to remove the plastic around the wheel, in the case of steam disassembling the lever.
With this model, nothing needs to be removed to put the tires on.
To put on a new gum should be patient because it does not always sit out of the first. I put it in the lower part
wheel in the groove and press with my finger, then carefully with the help of a needle pin or something like a circular pull on the wheel. After sitting down
he needs to look at him not to be overturned somewhere and to be in the groove everywhere.

I recommend using either a plastic or wooden tool such as a toothpick rather than something metallic and sharp to avoid scratching the wheels or nicking the new tyre.

Scratches gather dirt and then you are cleaning more often than needed.

Plastic tweezers can be ok as well but just be careful not to pinch the new tyre incorrectly.

Good luck. might as well get spare tyres for all your Loco's for future maintenance.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline dominator  
#11 Posted : 16 November 2017 06:56:21(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Not sure if this is correct but look here fro your coupling

https://www.trademe.co.n...r/auction-1467553379.htm
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Pmare4  
#12 Posted : 16 November 2017 07:05:39(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi,

Those are the couplings for the V200 diesel.

Frederic is looking for the couplings for a BR103, those have the spare parts number 211660 as Costas said.

regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline FV1974  
#13 Posted : 16 November 2017 08:23:13(UTC)
FV1974

United Kingdom   
Thank you all for all your useful advice and help! I am ordering the rings over the weekend and will get back to you if I have any problems fitting them.