Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2017 14:13:13(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to add decoders to my C-track turnouts using a series of the new M83 (60832) decoders and at the same time purchase a CS3. However, I am nervous about the prices, whether it will all work together, and whether I should wait longer in case Marklin is planning major upgrades to these items.

I know you can't do anything about the prices, but does anyone know whether the new M83 works properly with the CS3? An ancillary question is, are there any other less-expensive better-regarded options than the M83? Viessmann supposedly has a less-expensive option but I can't seem to find it. AJCKIDS has the M83 at $42 US, and since my layout is relatively small and will be permanent for several years, a decoder like the M83 should work well.

Last question - does anyone know whether Marklin is planning a new upgrade to the CS3 in the near future? This is always a problem when it comes to buying about anything electronic these days... whether to wait for the next version.

Thank you very much in advance, John - I am very grateful to many of you who take the time to answer questions such as these!
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2017 17:44:22(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to add decoders to my C-track turnouts using a series of the new M83 (60832) decoders and at the same time purchase a CS3. However, I am nervous about the prices, whether it will all work together, and whether I should wait longer in case Marklin is planning major upgrades to these items.

I know you can't do anything about the prices, but does anyone know whether the new M83 works properly with the CS3? An ancillary question is, are there any other less-expensive better-regarded options than the M83? Viessmann supposedly has a less-expensive option but I can't seem to find it. AJCKIDS has the M83 at $42 US, and since my layout is relatively small and will be permanent for several years, a decoder like the M83 should work well.

Last question - does anyone know whether Marklin is planning a new upgrade to the CS3 in the near future? This is always a problem when it comes to buying about anything electronic these days... whether to wait for the next version.

Thank you very much in advance, John - I am very grateful to many of you who take the time to answer questions such as these!

If you just need a decoder to switch your turnouts and nothing special as offered by the M83 I would buy the Viessmann 5211, the Marklin K83 (6083), or the LDT equivalent 910313. The Marklin 6083 is readily available on eBay Germany.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2017 18:47:04(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Given the choice of a brand new 60832 with 2 years warranty and a few new features that you may decide you like, look hard and get for 34 Euros or a brand new Vissemann 5211 at 26.5 Euros or a 6083 that has not been in production since 2004 on flea bay with a history of component failure - saw one "not tested but they are bomb proof aren't they??????" probably at around the same price then I would go for a 60832
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
MrB32  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2017 21:39:11(UTC)

For the update to CS3, well who can really tell? the CS1 was produced for 4 years, the CS2 was produced for 9 years in various flavours and still receives updates, the CS3 only started production last year, so I think you should be ok for a few years.

Offline johnpatrickwack  
#5 Posted : 11 November 2017 00:06:11(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Thank you all for the very helpful advice. I ended up purchasing some new 60832 M83's, and I'll hopefully get them all to work. I do have one last question of advice: to have an as-little-trouble-as-possible experience in getting the M83's and my existing M84 to work properly with my brand-new CS3 (I am upgrading from a MS), should I buy the recommended power supplies (Marklin 66365 and 66802) or can I get by with getting power from the tracks? And, why does one need to purchase a 66802, as it looks like the 66365 plugs directly into the M83 and M84?

Thank you again, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD