Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2017 15:21:10(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Yesterday I wired in a new turnout to one of my existing K83 decoders. The red output switched the 74491 actuator successfully, but the green did nothing. Since I had already shorted out the micro switches in the actuator I was pretty sure that it was not the actuator. However, while I was checking for a loose connection I got the distinct smell of burning electronics and the magical smoke release at the actuator. So I checked the outputs of the K83 and sure enough I had a short between brown and the affected green output. So I assume the K83 caused the actuator to fry and not the other way around.

Opening the K83 shows no burn marks but I assume the output SMD device Zetex ZDS1002 has failed. Has anyone replaced one of these 8 pin SMD devices? if so, how difficult was it to remove the defective unit with its 8 solder connections? Also where did you get a replacement ZDS1002 from?

An Internet search shows a ZDS1002 available for a price that appears to be higher than a good used K83. So it probably isn't worth it.

If one side of the ZDS1002 has failed, what is the possibility of the other output failing as well? I was thinking of using the red output for a single solenoid device such as an uncoupler, but I don't want to burn out any more devices.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 04 November 2017 16:50:41(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I have also had some outputs of a k83 fail over time, just one 'side'. I was able to use the working 'side' to actuate a signal aspect and i did not try to repair the k83 module.

I did make myself a simple tester very easily and it has been very useful over the years... See https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2007/03/k83-tester.html
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Robert Davies  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2017 21:41:14(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
I have tried to repair k83's in the past by cannibalising what I thought were good bits from failed units to repair others. However I have never had any success so I don't bother now. As you have said, a good used k83 is not that expensive so I just buy a replacement.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 04 November 2017 23:20:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You don't say what make your K83's are, but if they are Viessmann 5211, you can get a replacement 52111 (which is a K83 with no case, intended for soldered connections) which you can fit into your 5211 case. You will need to desolder the plug connectors off the failed K83 and fit them to the 52111, but other than that the 52111 is a direct replacement, and costs a bit cheaper than buying a new 5211.

I'm replacing a couple of mine in this manner right now!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2017 00:38:04(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
My K83 is a Marklin 6083 with the SMD components, but still with the old style banana plug connections.