Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages«<34567>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline shannon  
#201 Posted : 13 January 2018 05:49:35(UTC)
shannon

Why no newly developed novelities released this year?Bored
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by shannon
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#202 Posted : 13 January 2018 06:20:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
- my goodness the coca cola train is hideous.

Garish is the word I'd use for it. Not for me, but I do know someone who may be interested in some of the Coke wagons, as he already has some from other manufacturers. He probably won't get the loco, as he hates American locos, Diesels and F7's!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Leitner  
#203 Posted : 13 January 2018 08:11:34(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Originally Posted by: shannon Go to Quoted Post

Why no newly developed novelities released this year?Bored

The crane is new, the skoda, TGV Duplex...

Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline Goofy  
#204 Posted : 13 January 2018 08:15:19(UTC)
Goofy

An interesting note in page 42-43 about the Palatine diva.
Take look at front of the locomotive on the stud contact.
RUST!!
This is the result by use water glue to glue the ballast on the K-tracks.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#205 Posted : 13 January 2018 08:17:00(UTC)
H0

Why no newly developed novelities released this year?
New steam crane, new TGV Duplex, Škoda loco, new container car, shunting Crocodile and new Elephant as form variations, new BR 78, ...

Many improvements too: new drawbar for the BR 23 (should have got that right in the first place, but better late then never), new interior details for V 200, many locos converted to motors will bell-shaped armatures, ...

The second Insider Model will follow. And most likely a new "Made in China" loco announced in the autumn (like the French 241 last year).

Yes, they had more eye-catching novelties in the past, but they also have to make livery variations of other recent moulds to get return on their investment.

Once again a budget-friendly new items brochure from Märklin, but Piko is killing my budget and RoFl news ain't out yet.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#206 Posted : 13 January 2018 08:24:20(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
New steam crane, new TGV Duplex, Škoda loco, new container car, shunting Crocodile and new Elephant as form variations, new BR 78, ...

Many improvements too: new drawbar for the BR 23 (should have got that right in the first place, but better late then never), new interior details for V 200, many locos converted to motors will bell-shaped armatures, ...

The second Insider Model will follow. And most likely a new "Made in China" loco announced in the autumn (like the French 241 last year).

Yes, they had more eye-catching novelties in the past, but they also have to make livery variations of other recent moulds to get return on their investment.

But Märklin also offer more functions in the locomotives.
BR E44 with green body are nice model with functional pantographs.
I beat this model will be favorite for the german customer.
Bell shaped armatures and DC motor welcomes so long they works better than cheap motor...Wink BigGrin

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline DasBert33  
#207 Posted : 13 January 2018 10:15:04(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
For me honestly the best new items in years:

- That DRB 42 is a certainty. Maybe a little downside is that they stick to their Marklinisms: no eagle symbol and no 'verdunklungsblenden' for the headlights. I guess the grey color was enough :). But overall very nice.
- Erz cars: I might get some of them, or if with a discount, the full set.
- S2/6 in an attractive color: will depend on when it arrives. I had deliberately not bought one of the previous versions due to worse colors IMHO. But now its nice (red wheels, other than black body).
- T3 in DRG livery
- Re 6/6, a good alternative to the 37321 cargo version of a few years ago, also very tempting.

Bert

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DasBert33
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#208 Posted : 13 January 2018 10:41:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
The 75 Tonne crane looks good..

Hope you realise it's price is €999.99!

Offline MalinAC  
#209 Posted : 13 January 2018 11:16:08(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Maybe its a pack of 5 cranes . Please
Offline steventrain  
#210 Posted : 13 January 2018 11:32:52(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
The 75 Tonne crane looks good..

Hope you realise it's price is €999.99!

Yes, It is too expensive for me!

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline AntoinePrt  
#211 Posted : 13 January 2018 11:48:17(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
Hello,

In the French pdf, it is indicated the crane is 146 cm long ..... haven’t I missed something there?

Antoine
Offline Rwill  
#212 Posted : 13 January 2018 11:57:21(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post

Does that make my 30 year old plus Fleischmann model of the same thing now worth thousands? Ok so the kids were young and it was their favorite "plaything" so the condition may be difficult to describe Oh and I shant be buying a new one this year either.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#213 Posted : 13 January 2018 12:00:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: AntoinePrt Go to Quoted Post
In the French pdf, it is indicated the crane is 146 cm long .....

The same measurement is given in the English version - measurement is 146cm over the buffers (57 1/2 inches), which will be the entire length of the train, so I doubt it's an error!

1.46 metres in other words!
Offline AntoinePrt  
#214 Posted : 13 January 2018 12:15:17(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
That’s sounds odd to me.

When you look at the train (2 wagons and the crane), that would mean each part of the train is roughly 48 cm long ... When you look at the first wagon, it is clearly not 48 cm long! Just looking at the size of the coupling and supposing the picture is at scale, there is clearly something I don’t understand.

We will have the confirmation when it’s released.

Antoine
Offline Herrfleck  
#215 Posted : 13 January 2018 12:37:35(UTC)
Herrfleck

Sweden   
Hello!

I responded to the length measure.......

But I think the length is 46 cm not 146 cm?

It is more likely when you look at the pictures.

Regards

Bertil.
- since my lack in english I don't write so much here.. but learn by trying right? :) -

//Bertil
Offline AntoinePrt  
#216 Posted : 13 January 2018 12:54:34(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
Yes, I agree with you Bertil BigGrin

Cheers

Antoine
Offline kiwiAlan  
#217 Posted : 13 January 2018 14:06:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
The only USA locomotive is at least unacceptable.ThumbDown Crying

How could you possibly not want a Coke train?? OhMyGod Love BigGrin

What worries me about this bunch of tat is that it will not sell well, and then because of its scarcity it becomes a collectors item with high value in 5 years.

Maybe I could get the loco and swap the bodies from my 3649 Demonstrator F7 to it to get modern innards in the first ABA F7 that Marklin made ... but I think I would prefer to fit my existing loco with a Loksound V4 decoder with Full Throttle feature as a better way of doing it.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#218 Posted : 13 January 2018 14:08:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
....but the 12 car set suggested is a bit too long and too expensive.

Trix have released a 6 car set of the ore cars, which might be more to your liking.

Note that the Marklin set is individually packaged so you could buy as many as you wish.

Also the Trix set has a different set of road numbers, so you could have 18 wagons with individual numbers.

Offline shannon  
#219 Posted : 13 January 2018 14:09:08(UTC)
shannon

Why no newly developed novelities released this year?

Once again a budget-friendly new items brochure from Märklin, but Piko is killing my budget and RoFl news ain't out yet.

Hi Tom

Thanks for your detailed descriptions. I wonder why no brand new steamer released . In contrast with previous years, Marklin at least revealed a steam locomotive.

In addition, I am curious whether Marklin would release a new highly detailed and pricing model as 241A in 2018.
Offline mike c  
#220 Posted : 13 January 2018 16:51:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It was reported today that Maerklin's prototype Coca Cola train was destroyed when it collided with a similar train that Maerklin had been planning for Van Melle, the company that makes Mentos.
According to the information, both trains were last spotted under a column of what could only be described as foamy brown liquid...

Regards

Mike C
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kiwiAlan  
#221 Posted : 13 January 2018 17:14:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
It was reported today that Maerklin's prototype Coca Cola train was destroyed when it collided with a similar train that Maerklin had been planning for Van Melle, the company that makes Mentos.
According to the information, both trains were last spotted under a column of what could only be described as foamy brown liquid...

Regards

Mike C

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
Offline amartinezv  
#222 Posted : 13 January 2018 19:20:24(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Herrfleck Go to Quoted Post
Hello!

Regards

Bertil.

Hello

If the length is 46cm not 146, then maybe the price is 99€ instead of 999€ BigGrin

best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline klarinettmeister  
#223 Posted : 13 January 2018 20:05:28(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Herrfleck Go to Quoted Post
Hello!

Regards

Bertil.

Hello

If the length is 46cm not 146, then maybe the price is 99€ instead of 999€ BigGrin

best regards

I don't care about the typo. The German version also says 146 cm. I passed the new Goliath as I already have the old version. I suggested for Märklin to remake the red Goliath this year but this is also nice.

I've today received a confirmation on my preorder for the new steam crane and the TGV. Sad that the new TGV misses the controlled windscreen wipers but I have it on the 37796 anyway.
Offline Rwill  
#224 Posted : 13 January 2018 20:11:57(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
When the Goliath Crane was announced 2(?) years ago as a limited edition at 999 Euros, everyone was waxing lyrical and threatening to order one forthwith. Having said that I don't think it went down as well as hoped - I noticed last week you can still get a new one discounted down to 749 Euros. I think the NI steam crane is "nicer" and better - I still wont be buying one but I would if I could.
Offline DasBert33  
#225 Posted : 13 January 2018 20:29:27(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
Hello!
Sad that the new TGV misses the controlled windscreen wipers but I have it on the 37796 anyway.

Weren't the wipers removed for the 515 km/h record run? I believe it should not have any (on one side at least) to be prototypical.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#226 Posted : 13 January 2018 22:00:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Also the Trix set has a different set of road numbers, so you could have 18 wagons with individual numbers.

And if you got 2017's set of 24 ore cars, then you'd have..............lots! (42).
Offline Crazy Harry  
#227 Posted : 13 January 2018 22:07:58(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
In general, the H0 offerings don't do much for me. As others have noted a twin pack of BR44s isn't that popular - I would prefer only the DB version to complement my 3047 for the mid '60s. Why doesn't the new V60 have the newest lower profile version of the Telex couplers? That Coca-Cola stuff isn't going to go over well either from the comments I've seen so far and my personal opinion (it is garish! Did something like that ever exist in prototype?).

I do like what they are offering in the other scales, especially Z. Maybe because I only have a small amount of Z and no 1 scale items.

As a re-entrant to the hobby (Wiedereinsteiger as Marklin calls it), I was hoping to see more starter sets. Wasn't there a previous post that said there would be more starter sets offered? In particular, I would like to see a mega digital starter set with a CS3 or CS3 plus similar to what was previously offered with CS2s (for example 29548). I was planning on going digital with C-track and need such a push.

Maybe I'll shop around on the various internet sales programs and build a new big M-track analogue layout. Or I could rebuild my childhood M-track layout for nostalgic reasons and build something big in a smaller scale.

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline mbarreto  
#228 Posted : 13 January 2018 22:18:14(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I will buy the crane when I feel it is the crane of my life ))))

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Rinus  
#229 Posted : 13 January 2018 22:20:24(UTC)
Rinus

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post

Does that make my 30 year old plus Fleischmann model of the same thing now worth thousands? Ok so the kids were young and it was their favorite "plaything" so the condition may be difficult to describe Oh and I shant be buying a new one this year either.

I have one from my dad. Ist somewhere from the 50’s Laugh
Offline kiwiAlan  
#230 Posted : 13 January 2018 22:57:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

And if you got 2017's set of 24 ore cars, then you'd have..............lots! (42).

I haven't really looked at those wagons, are they the same but with different numbers?

Reminds me of the 'Lange Henry' set. If you got the Marklin set with loco, plus the box of additional wagons plus the Trix box of additional wagons which had different wagon numbers ot the Marklin ones, then you ended up with almost a prototypical train length.

Bu then HO (Tom) must be getting a tanker train like that, he gets another three Wascosa tankers this year ... BigGrin

Offline H0  
#231 Posted : 13 January 2018 23:18:22(UTC)
H0

But then H0 (Tom) must be getting a tanker train like that, he gets another three Wascosa tankers this year ... BigGrin
Not sure yet, but I am tempted by the Wascosa cars. 40 empty tank cars make a nice prototypical unit train. It only takes 20 (or less) full tank cars for a nice unit train.
One advantage of tank cars over ore cars: empty ore cars look different than filled cars - with tank cars it does not matter.

I am also tempted by the Pike coaches - train destination signs show a train run ending in Cologne. Full scale length and no pre-installed lights.

With respect to the 2018 new items, Piko will get more money from me than Märklin.
Looks like an affordable MRR year - unless the RoFl new items are really good and spoil the budget.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#232 Posted : 14 January 2018 05:59:08(UTC)
TEEWolf

Why no newly developed novelties released this year?Bored

Too expensive. Maerklin has declining sales and profit. So their ROI (return on investment) is declining too. Nevertheless they are still profitable. It looks like they do not go for a maximum of profit. My impression is, they only do what they can do with an internal financing.

On the other hand they offered the French 241 A last year and got a success they had not expected. I think they thought to sell this loco over the complete year in 2018 (guess this by an interview form Sieber jr.) and now they are already sold out.BigGrin Sometimes unexpected success also happens. So wait and be patient. The year 2018 has just started.Blink

And don't you think that the IC 2 “new construction” is not a new construction? When you read the offer it is a complete new train including the loco! And it is an offer not as a complete train set. It is an offer for single coaches, but completely equipped including a mfx-decoder with special functions for all coaches. Yes, and it is only really fully functioning if you buy the complete coaches for a complete train. Yes, and they raised prices again for one coach. But I see more than one strategy in their new offers for 2018. Maerklin is under a very strong change. Actually forget all about what happened in the last years. Do not interpolate any longer the past into the future for Maerklin.

Second: how often did and do I read here, --- yes would by, but not as a complete set – I do not need it complete, I need it partially --- ??? Now Maerklin is changing its offering policy (even for the funny coke-train), followed these requests and nobody recognizes it. Everybody is only writing about the ugly coke-train. Isn't it a small tragedy?
Offline H0  
#233 Posted : 14 January 2018 08:40:27(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Nevertheless they are still profitable.
Do we have a link for that?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Mark_1602  
#234 Posted : 14 January 2018 10:43:11(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   

Hi,

All we know is that profit margins have fallen significantly since the insolvency, when they were around 10 per cent for several years until the Siebers took over the company. The latest figure I read about was under five per cent. It seems to me that Märklin spends a lot of money on publicity stunts in a saturated market ...

Given the fact that Roco, Fleischmann and Hornby all lost money last year, it would be interesting to find out the relevant figures for Märklin and Piko. IMO, Märklin's 2018 news catalogue looks as if they didn't have a lot of cash to invest into new tooling. It's strange that there's a picture of two photoshopped old vintage locos on the first page of the Märklin H0 section ...

On top of that, Märklin seems to be really greedy this year. Prices are higher than ever before, and instead of selling us a 30470 with the old telex coupler and a vintage freight car set with Relex couplers, which would certainly have been popular, Märklin wants customers to buy a double pack containing at least one useless loco (if not two), calling it 'the final edition'. The Coca-Cola train is another example of a useless model. Profit margins won't go up as long as Märklin acts like this ...

What will I buy this year? Definitely the DSB coal car set, maybe the ETA 150 as I used to have a red one as a child. I'm still waiting for the DSB Nohab I ordered in 2017!

Best regards,

Mark

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline Leitner  
#235 Posted : 14 January 2018 11:36:59(UTC)
Leitner

The company is profitable and turnover in 2016 rose by 1 million euro, Marklin is much bigger than its competitor and I believe it's not easy to stay afloat in this market as the problem of pretty much all the major player (Hornby, Roco etc) showed.

This catalogue is great, I ordered 8 items yesterday and looking forward to Nurnberg fair, I believe Sieber did a great job here, in the last few years plenty of new and interesting products arrived (BR 75, 241 A just to mention two...) and plenty of things for american market (GG1, PRR ALCO, Great Northern loco, Challenger and plenty of wagons...) if the sales didn't go well you can't really pretend a company keep investing there, first they have to finish the stock.

When Dickie took over I was quite worried the "model" part of the business would have shrunk in favour of the toy one, instead they are quite well balanced and I frankly believe that if Marklin keep going in this direction for me is just fine.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#236 Posted : 14 January 2018 11:39:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post
The Coca-Cola train is another example of a useless model. Profit margins won't go up as long as Märklin acts like this ...

Well, that's a generalised statement which might be correct but might be wrong. We won't have access to Marklin's sale figures so we don't know for sure what will sell and what won't.

I'll most likely buy the Coke refrigerated car, and I know someone who may buy some of the other Coke cars, as he already has Coke wagons from other manufacturers.

As for the 30470 set, I'm undecided whether to get both or just the DB BR44.

I'm wondering if there might be a market for the DSB loco from people who have a 3045 without the decorative band around the funnel, who buy the DSB 30470 so they can transfer the band from that to their 3045 (or swap the bodies). There's a big price difference on the 2nd hand market between 3045's with the band and those without.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Mark_1602  
#237 Posted : 14 January 2018 12:33:01(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   

I'm wondering if there might be a market for the DSB loco from people who have a 3045 without the decorative band around the funnel, who buy the DSB 30470 so they can transfer the band from that to their 3045 (or swap the bodies). There's a big price difference on the 2nd hand market between 3045's with the band and those without.

Hi David,

I've seen those red and white bands being sold separately on Ebay at least several times, though they're not available right now. That would be much cheaper than the new Märklin set. I just don't like the practice of selling double packs. I bought the 31100 set but sold it recently because I don't like the green Da and the Croc doesn't run very well in analogue mode, whereas I decided not to buy the 30501 set because the red loco didn't appeal to me. I know they sold those sets easily because each contained a really attractive loco. That trick worked twice, but it annoys some customers. Probably Märklin can still sell the 30470, but I think those locos would have been much more useful with Telex couplers.

When I wrote that the Coca-Cola train is useless, I meant that very few people would want to use it on a US-style layout. Of course you're right in saying that Coca-Cola collectors might buy it. Actually, Märklin made two nice-looking Coca-Cola tin plate box cars in the 1990s, a red one and a yellow one. They are extremely rare and were only sold in North America, but I managed to buy them from a Swiss collector at a high price. Last year I sold them to a Märklin collector at the same price. Unfortunately, I don't have the photos any more, but they look better than this year's Coca-Cola cars.

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline TEEWolf  
#238 Posted : 14 January 2018 17:32:59(UTC)
TEEWolf

Yes, get a look into www.handelsregister.de - and I read an article about Maerklin in the German paper "Handelsblatt". Also Sieber jr. mentioned (more generally) in his interview (as far as I remember, I saw it on YouTube), where he told about declining, unsatisfying sales, but Maerklin will be still profitable. In this interview he also said, that Maerklin is still doing 80% of its sales (big surprise to me) with collectors and not with younger gaming people. Their aim is to change this ratio, but it is more complicated and harder as he (and probably his father) had thought about it. They are on a successful way, but the lost of sales from collectors is not yet compensated by sales with gamers.

This is very obvious to me, because to sell one loco for 600 € you have to sell about 3 starter sets, which are regularly cheaper as a collector's engine. And it is easier to sell to one person instead to 3. But you see these changes also in the 2018 news catalogue with the offers of My World (p 23 following) and start-up offerings (p 29 following) with the Jim Knopf series or the new brick coach (art #44737).

I myself donated one of the LEGO coach to a young boy from my neighborhood, who is joining me sometimes for playing MRR. I am myself was surprised what he did in LEGO on top of this coach. He built his own fantasy setup in LEGO on the platform of this wagon. This was as important to him as to run this wagon later on on my layout. Of course he learned a lot of things thereof, e.g. about the vehicle width. He first built wagons, where they did not go through a curve or could not pass another train.

Sieber sen. is not only the owner of the Simba Dickie Group, he is also a real salesman for toys. He knows what kids like. Do we collector or older gaming people know that too?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#239 Posted : 14 January 2018 17:56:14(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post
When Dickie took over I was quite worried the "model" part of the business would have shrunk in favour of the toy one, instead they are quite well balanced and I frankly believe that if Marklin keep going in this direction for me is just fine.

I read in a paper or in Wikipedia in Germany, that not the Simba Dickie Group has bought Maerklin. It was Sieber sen. and Sieber jr. together, who bought it for themselves "privately". Of course the capital comes from the seniors company group, but they shall be not legally linked together. I think this is important for the further structure of Maerklin. This company seems to be the Siebers "hobby". I guess they do not have as a first and overall aim to get as much profit as possible from this company. I think Siebers doing this by their other group. They just and only want to set up a new toy group for electrical model toys. The Simba Dickie Group (as far as I kow it) offers mainly non-electrical model toys.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline H0  
#240 Posted : 14 January 2018 18:05:18(UTC)
H0

and I read an article about Maerklin in the German paper "Handelsblatt".
There is an article published 12 months ago. They were profitable back then.
Around the Nuremberg toy fair Mr Sieber will give several interviews with current information.

The Simba Dickie Group (as far as I kow it) offers mainly non-electrical model toys.
They offer battery-powered trains, RC cars, toys of all sorts with sound effects and lights, ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kimballthurlow  
#241 Posted : 15 January 2018 00:32:58(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi all,
Over the last few days, I have been checking the 2018 new items from Hornby in OO scale.
They released their details a couple of days before Maerklin.
Of 171 new items, there are 5 new toolings which cover 14 new models because of various liveries (paint schemes).
The new items are very interesting.
In fact one of the items has been completely pre-sold by forward orders within a week.
All of these models are made in China, I suspect.

In contrast, Maerklin have announced 153 new items in HO scale.
I understand there are no new toolings.

Hornby have in the last six months, gained a new CEO from the toy industry in UK.
He is a person with wide experience, it seems mainly in die-cast vehicles.

A slight difference between Hornby and Maerklin in their marketing seems to be the way to present new models or liveries.
For 2018, Hornby have announced 3 different era liveries for two, (and two liveries for one) of their new tooled locomotives.
Maerklin often release a new model in one livery, then you wait a year or two or more for the same model in a different era.
And so on for each era.
Although Maerklin have done the same with the new toolings in recent years for the BR41 and the BR57 steam locos.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline RayF  
#242 Posted : 15 January 2018 10:14:39(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Kimball,

At least the Br102 Skoda locos are a new tooling, and available this year in at least two liveries.

Other locos have significant tooling changes, such as the 'Elephant' and the TRAXX AC3. There are also several wagons with new tooling.

Although other years have seen more new toolings in the January new items I would not discard the possibility that Marklin may make up for it in the Summer and Fall new items and/or a 'special' like the 241 last year.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#243 Posted : 15 January 2018 11:15:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

I haven't really looked at those wagons, are they the same but with different numbers?

No they're not the same. The 24 car set from last year is a different design to this year's ore cars.

This year's car set are Type OOt Saarbrücken / Erz IId Hopper Cars, last years are Type OOt Saarbrücken and OOtz 44 Erz Id

Last year - 00722

Capture.JPG

This year - 46230

Capture1.JPG

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#244 Posted : 15 January 2018 11:58:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

No they're not the same. The 24 car set from last year is a different design to this year's ore cars.

This year's car set are Type OOt Saarbrücken / Erz IId Hopper Cars, last years are Type OOt Saarbrücken and OOtz 44 Erz Id

Last year - 00722

This year - 46230

Ah, thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. As they were not a wagon that interested me I hadn't looked at them that closely.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline steventrain  
#245 Posted : 15 January 2018 18:17:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Both 26928 and 37797 is now sellout to orders.

Some dealers is sticky the RRP price.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Leitner  
#246 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:07:27(UTC)
Leitner

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Both 26928 and 37787 is now sellout to orders.

I'm sorry but there must be a mistake beacuse the 37787 is the Sapsan
Offline Webmaster  
#247 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:17:18(UTC)
Webmaster

This will be an expensive year, there are a couple of "must have's" for me... Crying BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline steventrain  
#248 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:37:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post
Both 26928 and 37787 is now sellout to orders.

I'm sorry but there must be a mistake beacuse the 37787 is the Sapsan

Oops, 37797 fixed.
Online franciscohg  
#249 Posted : 15 January 2018 21:11:34(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Both 26928 and 37797 is now sellout to orders.

sadly yes....but it is a rheingold.....ThumpUp

UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#250 Posted : 18 January 2018 19:48:51(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all,

Now that I've done some more reading through this thread, I had some commentary on things for discussion:

1- The 241 is the big new tooling/item for this year. For those who are saying there isn't one, they are really overlooking it. Marklin simply chose different timing to launch it, and wisely so in my opinion. It was the top of European MRR headlines for weeks, and not amidst the industry news clutter that is January. And they also delivered it before people started earmarking their budget for Roco/Piko etc 2018 new items...

2- It really is a lovely catalog, all sorts of delightful trains. And that isn't biased as I have really narrowed my purchasing focus, but I still flipped through the catalog and was really excited by a lot of items that still "weren't my thing" but look great regardless.

3- Then the sticker shock sunk in. Now that pricing is online and ready for orders, I realized a lot of "mundane" items have taken a big price hike vs near identical ones from recent years. My curiosity here is whether dealer margins are the same and this helps prop up the company, or whether the dealer margin to RRP has grown to help the dealers make a living. The cost of manufacturing a plastic passenger car cannot have risen an (estimated based on my fumbling numbers and not knowing precise manufacturing costs) 30+ percent. Especially if produced in a Marklin factory and not by a 3rd party.

4- So it gets back to the profitability discussion above. I have to just wonder if Marklin had a more stable catalog, changing only paint schemes for the most part. (or doing a "regular" catalog like the classic line they are marketing), if they could just stabilize pricing, margins, and their own long term stability? I realize "new" is what drives incremental sales, but at a certain point the R&D spends have to stop making sense, especially in a shrinking collector market. Driving volume may not be the right move vs. less volume but a stable margin/profitability.

Just my 2 cents. And I'll be buying more this year than in many years so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite!

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR