Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline guitartoys  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2017 19:57:52(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Hello,

This is my 1st post, and I am helping a friend, who has a massive Markin HO set, and wants to add computer control. He's picked up a ton of CTI-Electronics cards.

I've got things pretty well sorted out when dealing with track switches, turn-out, decouplers, round houses, etc. (Sorry, I'm really not a train guy, but more of an EE and software development guy)

My question is, I want to be able to individually power segments of track.

This is all K-Gauge Track - Such as Marklin part numbers 2209 or 2210

In looking at the track, there are electrical connections on the ends of the track for the center rail. And then the standard joiners for the outside rails.

Should I be keeping the center rail electrically connected through out the entire set, and using the outside rails as the means to electrically isolate track segments?

My natural inclination had been the other way round. I was thinking I would have the outside rails be electrically connected throughout, and I would isolate the center rail.

But it's now occurring to me that what I should be doing is isolating the outside rails, and just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks.

M
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2017 20:47:12(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi,

Isolating the centre is the normal practice. This can be done using plastic isolators available from marklin, P/N 7522. Alternatively you can cut the small contacts between the track sections or make a cut through the metal on the base (although these are more permanent solutions).

Cheers.....

Mike
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2017 23:26:14(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I guess the question is what is it you are trying to achieve by isolating the track sections? If you plan on using computer control and "blocks" these blocks are defined by the software and do not need physical isolation. If your layout is large and you need boosters, then yes you need isolation, but generally it is the centre rail as already mentioned.

If you on the other hand want isolation for track occupancy sensing then you would normally isolate one outside rail and connect it to an S88 input.

So perhaps you can give us some further input as to what you are planning.

If you really need to isolate the outside rails for some reason, you can replace the steel rail joiners with the Peco isolated rail joiners. They work really well.

Cheers
Peter
Offline guitartoys  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2017 00:18:36(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Yes, I will be using the computer to turn track sections on and off.

These are very old locomotives (some probably 50 years old), nothing with built in computer control. Nor does he want to go to the expense of trying to modify them for internal computer control. He's got to have at least 30 to 40 locomotives. Many antique. So no DCC or such. Just raw locomotives.

Therefore, I'm going to control movement, by powering track sections.

I'm going to order a bunch of the 7522's and will dremel cut the underside of tracks where needed.

This thing it pretty big, an entire room. Maybe 30 x 30? The section I'm currently starting with is about a 1/3 of the overall model, and it's got about a 1/2 dozen decouplers, more than a dozen track switches (left & right turnouts, Double Slip switches, 3 way turn out) a round house and a transfer table, with 5 sections with Catenary wires. But the other portions are more than 1 level of track with bridges and such. (A number of track segments with turnouts underneath for storage). So this is a long term project.

So I'm first starting with all of the switches (turnouts, decouplers, I gotta get my vernacular together) and such (on this portion of the model), and setting up track segments. I'm having to pull up and reset a bunch of track as a result. Later (with the size of this thing, probably the year 2020), add some sensors to automate locomotive movement, and then put in signaling. He hasn't had it running in years, and I just want to get a portion, where I can make a locomotive go.

I'm using the CTI stuff that he has. So the next big magic trick is to rig an Arduino with a stepper to computer control the old style transformer, so I can get some computer control on the pile of transformers he has. I also have a 3-D printer, and am pretty decent at CAD, so I can come up with some brackets. I already designed a set of mounting brackets for all of the CTI cards.

Does Marklin have a digitally controlled transformer? I know the CTI stuff supports DCC. Could I use the CTI software to control a Marklin digitally controlled transformer for speed?

Thanks.

Michael
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 29 October 2017 03:33:39(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
To the best of my knowledge Marklin does not have a digitally controlled transformer. They had/have manually controlled transformers for the old analog trains, fixed output transformers for earlier digital controllers and various switched mode power supplies for new generations of digital controllers.

This sounds like a massive undertaking and I have not read about anyone using the CTI system to control Marklin. So obviously based on your description non of the locomotives have been converted to digital and you plan on controlling power independently in each isolated block. It appears to generally be the old analog block system with manual toggle switches being replaced by a computer controlled switch. Should work, but I'm not sure how many trains you will be able to operate simultaneously in this fashion.

Good luck.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 29 October 2017 13:30:35(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: guitartoys Go to Quoted Post

Does Marklin have a digitally controlled transformer? I know the CTI stuff supports DCC. Could I use the CTI software to control a Marklin digitally controlled transformer for speed?

I browsed through the 185 page CTI manual on https://www.cti-electronics.com/Users%20Guide.pdf . Interesting. It seems as if this system moves the intelligence from locomotive decoders, to controllers connected to blocks. As I understand, you can use any Märklin transformer for power supply here. You don´t have to digitally control the transformer. The computer controls the controllers located between the transformer and tracks.

What I would worry about is that a google of ”CTI” and ”Märklin” gives almost no hits, as PMPeter also notes. It will not be easy to get support e.g. in this forum. Also, I am not sure cost will be lower, using CTI. For occupancy feedback, CTI have e.g. the ”Dual 3-Rail Sensor” at USD 12, i.e. USD 6 per indicator. Using the feedback modules in the ”Märklin and DCC world”, the cost per indicator could be as low as USD 3. Finally, the software doesn´t look that user-friendly as CTI claims. Compared to e.g. TrainController and WinDigipet, coding strings seems to be required.

But what the heck, this is a hobby only, and maybe this project will break new grounds! Cool
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline guitartoys  
#7 Posted : 29 October 2017 19:40:58(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Thanks for the feedback, but he's already gotten close to 20 of these controller cards, and I think we've gone too far down the path to make a change. But I'm willing to listen.

This project kicked off back in 2011, and is now just getting under way.

As I mentioned earlier, absolutely no part of the this entire layout has any digitally controlled component.

So all turn outs, decouplers, roundhouses, exchange tables, the entire lot is simple solenoid and motor.

In looking at TrainController and WinDigipet they both seem to be computer programs, which are designed to interface with existing digital controllers. Are there for example digitally controlled controllers, which for example have 8 or 16 channels, to allow me to control signals, switches, etc.? As it looks like TrainController and WinDigpet are both software only solutions, and rely on other controllers.

So what controllers should I be looking at in this regard?

The reason we went with CTI was they had a suite of cards that worked with their software. It's a simple network, which uses RJ-11 cable to interconnect the cards. Yeah, there's some missing things like fixing a hard coded address to a particular card, so if you had to move it to a different place in the network chain, you don't have to readdress things. But I'm working through that, and some prior planning help.

Also, not too terrified of programming, I'm pretty comfortable in doing the programming, as it really gives me some flexible control.

Biggest worry was AC.

But I am running all of the decouplers, turnouts, etc. on DC without a problem.

And I will be using their DASH-8 (8 channel relays) to deal with track segments.

I should have this one section of the layout done in the next week or 2. Then it is really the programming.

And yeah, I realize that I am dealing with virgin ground here.

But as I get this thing up and running, I'll be happy to share, successes, failures and hilarious mistakes. And some pictures.

M
Offline PMPeter  
#8 Posted : 29 October 2017 21:04:20(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I understand that you want to use the CTI cards on hand and that this project will be a challenge. However, unless I am missing something I believe you will be limited by the number of trains you can run simultaneously by the number of individual transformers that you have. That is the beauty of digital that you can run numerous locomotives with one power supply, limited only by the power available and the electrical load of the simultaneous running locos.

Cheers
Peter
Offline guitartoys  
#9 Posted : 29 October 2017 21:30:49(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Peter,

Can you please guide me to the digital receiver that he would need to install in each of his locomotives? And then an example of the master controller (assuming this would hook up to the PC, and be used to feed the signaling down the track)

Would I not need to replace all of his turn-outs with those, which could be digitally controlled? All of the track is K-track. So all of the turn-outs and such are just simple solenoids. Some of the turnouts allow the solenoid to be removed, others the solenoid is built into the body of the turnout. Wouldn't all of these need to be replaced with digital control? Or is there a digital controller, which allows you to hook up these old style turn outs so they can be computer controlled. Could you guide me to that? I can see some turnout controllers on the Marklin site, but many are no longer available.

But I totally get it. Yep, I will need to pull off some really creative segmenting (and programming, connecting a throttle to a particular group of segments), and will be limited by the number of throttles he has.

But he has more than 50 locomotives

And he has probably a dozen throttles.

Thanks

Michael
Offline PMPeter  
#10 Posted : 30 October 2017 00:55:44(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Michael,

The turnouts and their electrical solenoid actuators would require no change. What you would require is a K83 type decoder that would operate 4 double solenoid type devices such as a turnout or 8 single solenoid devices such as a decoupler. These K83 decoders are relatively inexpensive and quite readily available in excellent used condition on eBay. To operate the K83 decoders you would need a digital controller such as a Mobile Station 2, a CS1, CS2 or a new CS3 if you want to stay with Marklin. You could also go with a different manufacturer's digital control station and this would all depend on budget and ultimate control. Since you really want computer control and based on the size of your layout, a CS2 or CS3 would most likely be appropriate. For my layout which is approximately 18' x 16' I can run 5 trains simultaneously (so far) with a single CS2 and Rocrail computer software.

For the locomotives to be converted to digital you would need to upgrade the motors from a 3 pole armature to a 5 pole armature (3 different kits available for the 3 different motor styles in old M locos) and then remove the mechanical reversing unit and then wire in the appropriate decoder. Again there are numerous decoders available and cost really depends on whether you want sound or not. The non-sound decoders have become relatively inexpensive and for 50 locomotives this would also be a time consuming and not cheap exercise. Depending on the model number, sometimes it is better to sell the old analog version and buy a new digital version rather than going through the expense and time required to make the conversion. If you list the model numbers being considered I'm sure you will get numerous responses in this forum whether it is worth it for that model or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of what you are doing, but considering the layout has not been operating since 2011 and you anticipate a 2020 completion of the conversion, I feel you can have a digital computer controlled layout operating in a very limited time without removing track, turnouts, etc. and just buy a digital controller, K83s, and convert some locos to start off with. The end result would be that he can operate a large number of his 50 locomotives simultaneously with the appropriate software, compared to the number of power supply limitations you would currently have.

Cheers
Peter
Offline guitartoys  
#11 Posted : 30 October 2017 04:08:42(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Is there a list which shows, if I have locomotive X, then I need engine kit Y, and decoders X Z work for it?

Here are some pictures of some of the engines

Thanks.

IMG-2747.JPGIMG-2745.JPGIMG-2741.JPGIMG-2742.JPGIMG-2743.JPGIMG-2744.JPGIMG-2740.JPGIMG-2739.JPG
Offline PMPeter  
#12 Posted : 30 October 2017 16:52:33(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Are you sure some of these are not already digital? I see the dual Swiss & German crocodile set which I believe only came out a few years ago as a digital set. Some of the other newer ones could also be digital.

What you really need is a list of the Marklin locomotive numbers. Then you can go to the Marklin website and for most you will be able to find the parts diagram which will show if the motor is either a LFCM, SFCM or DCM type. Once you know that you can pick out the appropriate motor conversion kit to get it to a 5 pole motor with permanent magnet. The decoder then becomes a personal choice depending on the functions you want.

Here is a link to a site that I have found very useful regarding motor conversions: Conversions
Offline Minok  
#13 Posted : 30 October 2017 18:08:10(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Yes, I will be using the computer to turn track sections on and off.

These are very old locomotives (some probably 50 years old), nothing with built in computer control. Nor does he want to go to the expense of trying to modify them for internal computer control. He's got to have at least 30 to 40 locomotives. Many antique. So no DCC or such. Just raw locomotives.

Therefore, I'm going to control movement, by powering track sections.

If I'm understanding this, your friend has a large analog powered layout where turning up the voltage on a section of track increases the speed of the locomotives in it. You guys are aiming to computerize this layout by computer control of when the analog voltage is applied to various sections - to turn the voltage down to slow a train in an area, or power it down to stop a train.

Thats not the way its normally done, thats more a steam-punk sort of approach, but it can work, but I think requires a lot of hardware to do. You'd isolate the center rails that carry power and provide power to them via the switching circuits you have. Turning power on/off will stop/run trains at set speeds; if you can control the voltage to the sections you can control the speed but that requires specialized electronics as you'd have to take the power you have, and electronically generate the analog sine wave voltage. For each section.

For the large and already installed system, it may be easier (construction wise) to switch the track system to digital power (replace the controllers to the system) and convert the locomotives to digital; you can do that without having to pull up a bunch of track.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline hxmiesa  
#14 Posted : 31 October 2017 18:07:13(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   

I'm using the CTI stuff that he has. So the next big magic trick is to rig an Arduino with a stepper to computer control the old style transformer, so I can get some computer control on the pile of transformers he has.

In a way, the thing you are trying to do is almost the same method that I use with my layout.
Instead of trying to control the knob of the trafo, I feed the max power through several links of antiparallel diodes. As each pair drops the voltage with about 0,7V, you can set up a multiplexed speed-controller with relays; With 5 relays you can get 16 different voltage supplies. (With heavy-metal analogue locomotives you can even get smooth running with just 8 or even 4 different supplies of tension)

If you only plan to stop and start the trains at pre-defined spots (like in front of a signal), only 1 relay is needed, as you can feed each section of the track with a gradual falling (approaching the signal) and rising (leaving the signal) voltage. (That is what I do; Another reley is used to bypass the first relay, in case of the signal being already green before the approach)

-But the multiplex idea is still good for controlling the points/switches; The multiplexer selects which switch is to be operated, and then anoither relay activates the solenoid.

Additionally I want to mention that I use 24Vdc for the relays/solenoids. The extra power assures that no switch/signal "hangs" in any position. The computer control assures that no activation pulse is given for too long a time which could cause the solenoids to burn.
In old-school Märklin this is really good, as the common "Ground" of the 24Vdc and the 16Vac can be united. Even isolated track-feedbacks can be used with 24Vdc, when used in series with a resistor...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline guitartoys  
#15 Posted : 02 November 2017 00:17:26(UTC)
guitartoys

United States   
Minok, not quite, hxmiesa is closer to what I was planning to do.

I can individually connect sections of track to a throttle via a relay. I planned to use the throttle normally, slow to fast. Through relays, I can control both what throttle is connected to which section, and can join multiple sections to the same throttle. There is some multiplexing involved.

With the CTI stuff, I can pretty easily control all of the turnouts.

hxmiesa - Thanks for the info on the 24V. I have been playing with my lab supply to try to dial in a reliable DC voltage for the solenoids. I was at about 19V. But obviously I can adjust it once I get a portion of this built out. I'd love to see a schematic of how you got the control working. Again, I am assuming that you are using AC locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by guitartoys
Offline hxmiesa  
#16 Posted : 02 November 2017 13:28:15(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I can individually connect sections of track to a throttle via a relay. I planned to use the throttle normally, slow to fast. Through relays, I can control both what throttle is connected to which section, and can join multiple sections to the same throttle. There is some multiplexing involved.
hxmiesa - Thanks for the info on the 24V. I have been playing with my lab supply to try to dial in a reliable DC voltage for the solenoids. I was at about 19V. But obviously I can adjust it once I get a portion of this built out. I'd love to see a schematic of how you got the control working. Again, I am assuming that you are using AC locomotives.

I am glad that you thnik it helpful. Finally a kindred spirit after so many years here.
Yes, my trains are all AC-locomotives in analog mode.
I used to have a comprehensive documentacion on the net, but some years ago www.majhost.com died, and much was lost. I might still have some plans lying around on the harddrive, but will have to dig them out and find a place to upload them...

I dont know what CTI is. I use an industrial PLC from Schneider (a former Square-D product).
Electrically it is pretty simple, that was why I hoped that my description above would be clear enough.
Uniting the 0V / Ground of the AC trafos and the DC power supply is just that; A cable from one unit to the other(s), and a common 0/GND disitributed around the whole layout.
Currently I use 11 AC trafos (around 400W) and 1 DC supply (300W).

Also I want to mention again the antiparallel diodes; I use them everywhere; F.ex. on falling grades; A link there will reduce the trains speed.
Also INSIDE individual locos I have installed 0,1,2 links in series, to adjust the speed of that particular loco; As the track voltage is always the same, some trains would go too fast. (Obviosly the trafos speed-knob will have to be set at something the weakest/slowest loco can use. -So the fastest ones need to be adjusted...)

Hope this helps. Otherwise I will have to try to find the old plans. Some specific thing you need a plan of?
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Minok  
#17 Posted : 02 November 2017 19:39:50(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Hats off. More steampunk still. A mechanically complex way of doing what is done with digital signals. Itself a very interesting challenge to work out. Routing analog signals and attenuating them as needed, rather than addressing digital controllers with a common data+power signal, it works. Neat .
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134