Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnmarklin  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2017 19:12:57(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Good evening fellow Marklin enthusiasts.

I am seeking your assistance. I recently bought a Marklin 55900 in used condition. When the item was delivered the wind deflector supports were broken. I have tried Marklin for replacement parts but they are no longer available from the factory.

Does anyone know where I might get these parts or does anyone know of compatible parts?

looking forward to your replies.

John

Edited by moderator 29 October 2017 19:44:47(UTC)  | Reason: Added model to the subject line /Webmaster

Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2017 19:46:21(UTC)
Webmaster

Any of our 1 Gauge experts who has an idea about this issue?
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2017 21:51:59(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I'm not an expert, and I don't own a 55900; but I've looked at the pictures of the wind deflector supports.

I think I would just build the supports myself, from more or less any black plastic rods I could get.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2017 22:10:29(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Part number 227719 Right side Wind deflector still available but Left side not available anymore.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 30 October 2017 00:09:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
I think I would just build the supports myself, from more or less any black plastic rods I could get.

That's the approach I would take, especially if you have access to a 3D printer.
Offline johnmarklin  
#6 Posted : 30 October 2017 21:51:27(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Thank you to all for your replies.

I have both deflectors L & R (both damaged when bought) and I have considered making supports but gluing the parts can be problematic. The surface area for gluing is so small it would be difficult to get a good bond and the plastic used by Marklin requires special glue. I have had some success with Loctite 'All Plastics' glue but the gluing areas were much bigger. I have tried the same glue on these but with no success.
Unfortunately I do not have access to 3D printing. Ant thoughts on suitable glues for a job like this?
Offline Markus Schild  
#7 Posted : 30 October 2017 23:45:55(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Just an idea and not verified: The deflectors of 55414 are available. They are not exact like the ones on the BR 01 / 44. But the sheet looks like they could fit: https://www.maerklin.de/...&artikelnummer=55414

Regards

Marksu
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline johnmarklin  
#8 Posted : 31 October 2017 18:55:22(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Markus,

Thank you for that suggestion. I had already found those smoke deflectors and thought my problems were solved but on careful examination those deflectors are fitted to brackets already attached to the boiler. The smoke deflectors that I have are push fits onto the boiler. It is looking more likely that I will have to try finding a suitable glue and fabricating new stays.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 31 October 2017 19:12:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: johnmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Thank you to all for your replies.

I have both deflectors L & R (both damaged when bought) and I have considered making supports but gluing the parts can be problematic. The surface area for gluing is so small it would be difficult to get a good bond and the plastic used by Marklin requires special glue. I have had some success with Loctite 'All Plastics' glue but the gluing areas were much bigger. I have tried the same glue on these but with no success.
Unfortunately I do not have access to 3D printing. Ant thoughts on suitable glues for a job like this?

The best glue would be a tiny drop of cyanoacrylate 'instant glue'. You will need to be set up to but the parts together accurately as you won't be able to remove them after a few seconds.

Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 31 October 2017 20:48:04(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

The best glue would be a tiny drop of cyanoacrylate 'instant glue'.

Applied by a toothpick or something similar.

Do NOT try to apply the glue by letting it flow from the bottle, you risk getting glue everywhere.

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 31 October 2017 20:53:06(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: johnmarklin Go to Quoted Post

The smoke deflectors that I have are push fits onto the boiler. It is looking more likely that I will have to try finding a suitable glue and fabricating new stays.

I think I would try to "build" new stays, which could also be push-fit onto the boiler, and glue those to the smoke deflectors.

This way you don't have to glue on the boiler, only on the backside of the deflectors.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline lsgomez2  
#12 Posted : 01 November 2017 16:42:54(UTC)
lsgomez2

Chile   
DD265480-F8FD-4A29-AD00-D099B1ADC338.jpegThis works very well with the Marklin plastic
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lsgomez2
Offline johnmarklin  
#13 Posted : 02 November 2017 13:36:37(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Isgomez2~

Thank you for your suggestion. I am having difficulty sourcing this product here. I have done a search on the internet and have found it on Amazon for the crazy price of 173.00 euro. I assume this is the price for a whole box of the stuff.
Offline lsgomez2  
#14 Posted : 02 November 2017 16:44:50(UTC)
lsgomez2

Chile   
The price is around 4 dollar each unit, I can’t believe the price that you found. It must be for a full box.
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 02 November 2017 21:40:00(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: lsgomez2 Go to Quoted Post
The price is around 4 dollar each unit, I can’t believe the price that you found. It must be for a full box.

Is this the same stuff ??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...cc73b:g:tn4AAOSwOVpXbQOY

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline lsgomez2  
#16 Posted : 03 November 2017 02:28:49(UTC)
lsgomez2

Chile   
Per
It can be the same, but the one that I posted is only for plastic and the other is announced as a multipurpose product and “especially” for plastics.
Offline johnmarklin  
#17 Posted : 08 November 2017 20:06:08(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
I have the Loctite that Purellum ~ mentions. I have had some success with this but on small items like smoke deflector stays it has not worked. I am looking at the idea of making brass stays that I could thread at one end and use very small nuts to attach the deflector to the stays. I will have to look at what I have in terms of suitable dies first.

John