Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2017 02:25:14(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all!

I'm in the midst of converting my 3046 SNCF BR 44 (same as the German 3047 of course)the smoke . Any on how/where I solder an AUX wire from the decoder to keep the smoke unit as an on/off function? And if I need to insulate or modify anything to do so?

It might be a simple answer, but I thought I'd ask here before trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2017 09:50:04(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
In these locos the contact for the smoke generator and the front light are common.

What I did is to leave the contact as it is and solder the f1 br/red (AUX 1) for the smoke unit on it. The return will be the loco body and frame.

Don't use the contact for the light and replace it with a LED connected to f0 gray and orange (through an appropriate resistor) totally insulated from the frame and the old light contacts

Regard

Costas
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2017 11:32:01(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
There is a contact plate from the later loco's that can be used if ordered as a spare part. I've done that on some conversions a few years back.

Cheers....

Mike
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2017 04:57:52(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
you may find the information on separating the smoke unit from the light about half way down this page: https://cabin-layout.blo...llingdigitaldecoder.html useful... its on a 3048 but sounds similar.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2017 17:09:49(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks everyone! The weekend has me running around but hopefully one evening this week I can take a closer look and find a solution based on your suggestions. More to follow!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 16 November 2017 00:54:55(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all, I finally got to work on this project. My proposed solution is as follows, I'd welcome opinions before I accidentally fry a decoder!

- I have isolated the headlamp by adding plastic spacers between it and the copper smoke unit contact below. This seems like a simple wiring job of connecting the headlamp to the white (NEM DCC/ESU) forward headlight wire. It retains the screw grounding to the chassis.

- Now for the smoke unit. I know I need to attach a current wire to the copper base plate (+) for the smoke unit. In theory it should just retain its common ground (-) contact to the body housing. Assuming that is correct thus far, the question becomes this: which wire on the ESU decoder do I connect? The Green "AUX1" wire? I'd assume so, but images show it requiring a blue wire as return. Is that no longer necessary?

Thanks in advance!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2017 10:59:37(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
your absolutely right, the green wire is 99.9% used for the smoke generator and the blue wire is usually DC for flicker free led's, so long you've separated the smoke unit connector from from the the front light you should be safe and also make sure the front lights are isolated from the smoke unit connector and if you use led's make sure your white wire has a resistor the other wire is blue, if you connect one wire to the chassis the light will flicker.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2017 12:55:29(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
your absolutely right, the green wire is 99.9% used for the smoke generator and the blue wire is usually DC for flicker free led's, so long you've separated the smoke unit connector from from the the front light you should be safe and also make sure the front lights are isolated from the smoke unit connector and if you use led's make sure your white wire has a resistor the other wire is blue, if you connect one wire to the chassis the light will flicker.

regards.,

John

Thanks John! Worked like a charm. Now the smoke unit itself is clearly heating and the contact isolated with voltage, but not smoking the way it should so on to step two...
SBB Era 2-5