Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2017 01:38:52(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi Gents,

I came across an annoying issue last night when making some changes to a BR78 fitted with a loksound 3.0 M4 decoder.

The problem is that the lokprogrammer only supports DCC and MM protocols for testing and that the loksound 3 M4 decoder has different sound sync speeds when driving MM or MFX protocol.

This means when testing on the lokprogrammer track to sync the chuffs you need to use the MM protocol.

But then when you run the lok on the layout using MFX, the chuffs are way out of sync - too fast.

Unless someone knows of a formula for comparing the two protocols when testing, this means after programming on lokprogrammer I then need to move the lok to my layout to test with MFX.

Rather annoying!
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2017 12:03:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gents,

I came across an annoying issue last night when making some changes to a BR78 fitted with a loksound 3.0 M4 decoder.

The problem is that the lokprogrammer only supports DCC and MM protocols for testing and that the loksound 3 M4 decoder has different sound sync speeds when driving MM or MFX protocol.

This means when testing on the lokprogrammer track to sync the chuffs you need to use the MM protocol.

But then when you run the lok on the layout using MFX, the chuffs are way out of sync - too fast.

Unless someone knows of a formula for comparing the two protocols when testing, this means after programming on lokprogrammer I then need to move the lok to my layout to test with MFX.

Rather annoying!

I would suggest you become a member of the yahoo Loksound email group, and ask this question there.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2017 21:36:44(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Does the chuff sound frequency not relate directly to the speed step being applied? If so I'd expect that the speed step is the speed step regardless of which protocol selects it (DCC, MM, MFX).
However if you remap the speed step range (so that 255 is the Vmax you have set for the loco, and not the highest speed step the decoder could produce) that this creates a mapping from input speed step to output to the motor. Can you adjust your chuff frequency based on that ratio (Vmax set / 255) or some such thing?

This is just me guessing without actually having played with chuff settings on a decoder.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2017 01:05:56(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Eric, this is a Two cylinder locomotive. Did you set your load control to motor type. Email me your loco profile & let me have a look at it.

Cheers Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline applor  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2017 03:29:02(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Does the chuff sound frequency not relate directly to the speed step being applied? If so I'd expect that the speed step is the speed step regardless of which protocol selects it (DCC, MM, MFX).
However if you remap the speed step range (so that 255 is the Vmax you have set for the loco, and not the highest speed step the decoder could produce) that this creates a mapping from input speed step to output to the motor. Can you adjust your chuff frequency based on that ratio (Vmax set / 255) or some such thing?

This is just me guessing without actually having played with chuff settings on a decoder.

The problem is the MM protocol is 28 speed steps and MFX with 128 speed steps handle the sound chuffs completely different.
What happens is if the sound chuffs are synced (and yes for 2 cylinders) when I test with lokprogrammer using MM protocol its fine.
When I then test on my layout using MFX, the speed chuffs are about 4 times faster!

With the newer loksound 4.0 M4 decoder it is not a problem because you can test with DCC 128 speed steps but the older loksound 3.0 M4 does not support DCC so you can only test using MM on the lokprogrammer.

I think I will just need to program and then transfer to layout to get the speed chuffs rightCursing
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2017 04:55:38(UTC)
applor

Australia   
haha just to make things even more annoying:

Each time I re-program the lok to alter the chuff speed, it requires a re-registration of MFX for the lok on the layoutLOL
Offline applor  
#7 Posted : 21 October 2017 05:38:38(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Interesting, I have been testing speed chuffs at minimum speed but now that I have that correct and I increase the speed, the loco does not increase speed and only ever drives at minimum speed?!?

37074.jpg

the settings all appear correct, not sure what is going on here now. I will e-mail you the project Dave.
Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 21 October 2017 05:41:07(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Have you got it in switching mode? What I mean by that is F4 on. That will give you restricted speed. F12 will give you acceleration according to your Function mapping.
D.A.Banks
Offline applor  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2017 06:17:42(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Heh, as discussed on the phone definitely not:)

I took your advice though and first loaded the decoder defaults and found the motor operating correctly again.

I then loaded the ESU BR78 project that is included and proceeded to change all the values to my old project to copy the settings.

Motor is operating correctly again and with my desired settings.

Not sure what happened there, something went bad with the decoders settings as though max and min speed were both set to 1 or something.

Still need to test and get the sync correct for the chuffs but I think it might be correct after the last changes.
Offline Dave Banks  
#10 Posted : 21 October 2017 10:34:12(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Eric, Glad you got it sorted. DB...
D.A.Banks
Offline applor  
#11 Posted : 22 October 2018 00:15:58(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Incidentally I still have the same problem from the original post.
I have posted on ESU forums but no reply there either.
Offline Danlake  
#12 Posted : 22 October 2018 02:02:24(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Eric,

If you have a multi protocol controller (like Marklin CS) can you not just register it as DCC and run it like that on your layout?

Then you can test and run with same format.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline applor  
#13 Posted : 22 October 2018 02:35:12(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eric,

If you have a multi protocol controller (like Marklin CS) can you not just register it as DCC and run it like that on your layout?

Then you can test and run with same format.

Best Regards
Lasse

Hi Lasse,

The problem is not being able to test using the lokprogrammer whilst programming. It is labour intensive to continually swap the locomotive from the lokprogrammer over to the layout and then re-register each time (MFX re-registers after any lokprogrammer change).

Loksound 3.0 M4 decoder does not support DCC.
There is no problem with the newer loksound 4.0 M4 as these also support DCC (in additiona to MFX) so you can program and test with DCC using the lokprogrammer. DCC and MFX remain in sync as they use the same speed steps.