Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gwolski  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2017 21:21:46(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
EPISODE #1 – THE YARD QUEEN

BACKGROUND
We’ve all seen highly weathered locomotives, whether up close and personal in our travels or in pictures in magazines, books, and websites. Locos tend to get worked hard and maintenance is more important than keeping the paint current. This is especially true for the yard queens – locos no longer in use and basically abandoned until it’s time to scrap them.

I made a trip in the summer of 2015 to central Europe, and I have collected some of the trains I either rode on or saw as we travelled the rails. I decided a yard queen might be a nice addition to my collection.

THE INSPIRATION
I’m a big fan of Mig Jimenez and the Weathering Magazine – what an awesome resource for any modeler, including the model railroader. The techniques explained the magazine can really make a huge difference in having either a so-so model or a “wow” version! There is almost always a model railroad article (or railroad applicable article) in each magazine. Issue #17, Washes, Filters and Oils specifically includes a great article on weathering an Italian Railways yard queen.

THE VICTIM
I picked up the MTB ST43 diesel locomotive specifically for this project. Fairly simple design and the prototype definitely became weathered and worn!

THE TOOLS
With magazine and locomotive in hand, I decided which effects I wanted to apply and placed my order for the appropriate item. Here is picture of the items I used. You'll see thinner, effects (chipping, streaking), washes (vehicle and panel line), and more. I'll explain my choices in the article as I progress through them.

CAVEAT
I really think weathering is a personal choice – we may not only choose different effects to weather but we may also use different techniques to achieve the same goals. Don’t use my project as a step by step guide for yours – decide what works best for you and do it!

Remember, if you pay attention to the process you can almost always remove an unwanted effect. Clear coats can be used to create “save” points where you can “restore” if something goes awry. Most effects can be minimized if not completely removed with judicious use of sponges, brushes, and thinners. In fact, you’ll see this often mentioned in the magazine.

NEXT TIME
In EPISODE 2, I will prep the model, decide on a plan of action, and get started.
Gene Wolski
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline gwolski  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2017 22:12:57(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
EPISODE #2 - PROTOTYPE

I pulled some pictures from the internet for inspiration.

Wow! Pretty heavily rusted on the top and ends. Maybe missing headlights too. Might be a tad further gone that what I envisioned. Or not!

I like this shot more for the view of the roof - what did the diesel exhaust make the roof look like? Most other pics are side or end shots and missing this type of weathering. I plan to use this as a reference for sure!

Not much rust but this sure shows the streaking and grime on the sides. OK, this is a keeper, too!

What do you see in this picture? I found it very interesting in that someone appears to have painted over the rusted spots to freshen up this loco.

OK - another useful picture.

Next time - we'll disassemble the locomotive and prep it.
Gene Wolski
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline gwolski  
#3 Posted : 08 October 2017 00:03:13(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
EPISODE #3 - PREP THE LOCO

BUT FIRST...

I want to revisit the pics - I found what I think will be the main reference pic. The ST43 is in the pre 2008 paint (more on that in a second), and I like the combination of fading, streaking, rust, and oil stains. There are some really oily grimy stains on the sides with flow down to the under carriage. The roof shows pretty significantly darker gray with the expected rust on the ends. I think the PKP logo and numbers are raised on the sides where my loco has this as plain printing. I'm mulling over how to recreate this or simply adding character to the printed logo. More to follow as we progress.

To contrast this loco with a newer one, I pulled the pic from the Hataka set for this era. Although this loco is weathered, the paint colors are much brighter and newer than what i hope to achieve with fading and streaking.

I've removed the body shell from the chassis and marked which end is which. Not sure I can tell the difference but at least it should go back together properly! I'm leaving the details on the body shell, and I'm presently masking the clear parts after I give the whole thing a good rinse to give a nice clean surface to start with.

PICS TO BE UPDATED SHORTLY

Next time, we start with a clear overspray as a weathering base then jump into some washes...

Gene Wolski
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline gwolski  
#4 Posted : 01 December 2017 01:12:33(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
UPDATE - the real world caught up with me for a few weeks, so I'm just now getting back to this project. I'll have some updates over the next couple of days.

Cheers!
Gene Wolski
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gwolski