Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline strummer  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2017 04:21:28(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Hi everyone.

When I first received this loco, it of course did not run; "HOS", I suppose. After a good cleaning and lube, it did and has been running pretty well.

I purchased a set of brushes (part #8988), and decided to swap out the old ones for these. I figured that, since it runs ok with the old brushes, it will probably run REALLY well with a nice set of new ones. Or so I thought...

I changed them, put it on the track, and although the lights came on, the engine did not move. I thought the new brushes, because they are not worn down in any way, must be pushing too hard against the commutator, so I took them out and bent them ever so slightly to "relax" the pressure. Then it ran, but not very well, and I could feel that it was getting very hot.

I have put the originals back in, and it's running fine again; but eventually I'm gonna have to replace those. Has anyone here had a similar experience? What am I not seeing/missing here?

Mark in Oregon
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2017 05:49:39(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. I've been trying to come up with an explanation concerning your situation.

Is it possible the replacement brushes are not correct?

If this is not the case, I think the new brushes may not be shapped to the armature exactly and this causes one or more of them to not actually make contact. Now that they have been bent it is actually difficult to reverse this modification to make contact again. The pressure the modified brush causes may be excessive.

If the brushes are the correct ones and installed correctly it is always a good idea to give the motor spin or two just to ensure it contacts correctly. I usually have the motor out and just apply reasonable current. Excessive current could burn out the motor but just a slow spin will cause the brushes to settle in a bit. A few minutes is all I usually need. With the motor out it is easier to examine things and make small adjustments if necessary.

When something is not work I usually consider trying to reassemble it again. Modifications to the part may cause more problems rather then solve it.

Good luck. Hope I helped.

Dwight
Offline strummer  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2017 16:01:13(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Hi Dwight

Thanks for the thoughts. I discussed this issue over on another Forum, and I guess the general consensus is that I need to let the new brushes "break in".

In the meantime, the old (original?) brushes work ok, so for now I'll run it as is. The only reason I brought this up in the first place is because this is the first time I've encountered such an issue...in any scale. Anyway, thanks again.

Mark in Oregon
Offline strummer  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2017 03:38:52(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Dwight, et al

FWIW, I ordered a second set of brushes; although the brass(?) "arms" were exactly the same as the previous set, the little carbons were noticeably smaller.

In any case, I tried the new set, and Wow! whatta difference! The loco now starts at a much lower voltage, and is very smooth in all the speed ranges. I honestly cannot imagine a 5-pole equipped engine (of any type) running any better than this one does now.

So there you have it; one of those "you just never know" things, I guess.

Mark in Oregon
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2017 18:04:18(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. That is great. Go figure how the other's gave you problems. Good to know just trying again solved this one. That is an excellent loco. Should have no problems pulling a number of cars now. Best wishes.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme