Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mzecchi70  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2017 03:23:46(UTC)
mzecchi70

United States   
I purchased the Marklin 26922 Orient Express. Apart from the problem with the inside lightning, I notice that the locomotive does have enough force to pull the train even on flat track going through turnouts. Did anybody have the same problem? Can I add rubber bands to increase the friction between the locomotive and the rail? I even took one railcar out of the train to make it lighter but it is still not pulling.
Thanks.

Mariano
MrB32  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2017 09:00:19(UTC)

Call your dealer and ask for a replacement, there shouldn't be an issue like that with the model.
Offline foumaro  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2017 09:15:25(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am running the 42795 and 42796 car sets with 39020,39023 BR 18 locomotives with no problem at all.Cars and locomotives are similar to yours,so something going wrong with your locomotive.Maybe you can check the tyres.
Offline 1borna  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2017 20:15:12(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
How old are these locomotives? Tyes on wheels over time lose their elasticity and become hard and have no purpose.
However, newer tires may lose elasticity if the wheels are cleansed with some aggressive means.
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 03 October 2017 03:30:11(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mzecchi70 Go to Quoted Post
I purchased the Marklin 26922 Orient Express. Apart from the problem with the inside lightning, I notice that the locomotive does have enough force to pull the train even on flat track going through turnouts. Did anybody have the same problem? Can I add rubber bands to increase the friction between the locomotive and the rail? I even took one railcar out of the train to make it lighter but it is still not pulling.
Thanks.

Mariano

I bought this set less than a year ago when it first became available, so it can't be very old. Mine also has the interior lighting problems that are common to all of the Trix coaches converted to run on 3-rail by Märklin. But my loco pulls very well and has never had any problems when pulling all 7 coaches anywhere on my layout, including inclines, turnouts or curves.

Did you buy this from a dealer? If so you need to return it because there is clearly something wrong with your locomotive. If you bought it used you might want to have a dealer check it out, because it was not an inexpensive set and it should at least run well. It would have come with rubber traction tires originally, and if they are missing that might be your problem. Replacement traction tires are widely available and are easy to install. The lighting problem is harder to fix but it can be done and that job is currently on my (too long) repair list.

Good luck!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 03 October 2017 03:51:26(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mariano, you may can find the problem yourself by inspecting the rubber tyres if any are still on the wheels, if not go to your instruction booklet and find out which tyres you need and by removing the rods from the loco you can replace the tyres with new ones and this should dramatically improve the pulling power, if not go to your nearest dealer and he will do it for you.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 03 October 2017 15:34:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Mariano, you may can find the problem yourself by inspecting the rubber tyres if any are still on the wheels, if not go to your instruction booklet and find out which tyres you need and by removing the rods from the loco you can replace the tyres with new ones and this should dramatically improve the pulling power, if not go to your nearest dealer and he will do it for you.

John

I agree with John. At some point you need to know how to change the rubber tires yourself anyway and that may well be your problem. The first thing I would do is to check to see if all of the traction tires shown in the booklet are present. If they are there then something more serious is wrong with this loco.

But I will add two observations of my own. If you install the traction tires yourself I recommend the Märklin tool set which includes nut drivers which make removing and reinstalling the rods much easier. The tool set does not cost very much and it can save the cost of replacing the tiny hex nuts if you migh happen to lose one. I also suggest at least letting your dealer know about this problem if you bought it from one. I have had multiple Märklin items delivered new to me in the last 18 months with missing, broken or improperly installed parts. My primary dealer is AKCKids in Wichita Falls and Guy has been very proactive in passing my concerns back to Märklin management, which may result in better quality control eventually.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline SteamNut  
#8 Posted : 03 October 2017 16:42:10(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Are the wheels actually slipping or is the motor straining? As for the lights there is a post about it, which if I remember, involves taking the roof off and pushing down the LED board which comes loose when shipping. I agree Marklin should have done a better job - Fred
Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 04 October 2017 01:52:34(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
As for the lights there is a post about it, which if I remember, involves taking the roof off and pushing down the LED board which comes loose when shipping. I agree Marklin should have done a better job - Fred

If just opening them once and pushing down on the PCB's fixed it Fred, it would irritating, but the problem is still not really resolved.

Opening the coaches and reseating the PCB's fixed the problem - but only temporarily. As time goes by they flash off more often but not nearly as much as they did when I first received this set. When I initially put it on my track there was never a time when all of the coaches had their lights on at once, whether they were running or sitting still. They didn't just flicker, which you expect to see a bit of, they flashed completely off and on in 3-5 second random sequences. Basically it made these intricately made and very pretty coaches look cheap and nasty.

The real fix is to solder wires from the wiper/slider posts directly to the PCB, bypassing the push on connection and the post to PCB connection. Also adding capacitors would make for a complete fix. But the coaches are a pain to take apart and they have tiny plastic parts, which must be removed to open the coaches. These plastic pipes are hard to remove and reinstall without breaking. So when they get bad enough again I will just removed the slider and run them unlit until I get the time to fix them properly.

Here is one of my earlier threads on this problem, with all the details and input from other users with the same issues!

https://www.marklin-user...2-Coach-Lighting-Problem
Regards,
Jim