Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2017 00:39:28(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
One of the advantages claimed for K track is that by using the Flex track you can build large radius sweeping curves.
Presumably if you have a section on a C track layout where a larger radius than R5 would be desirable you could just use one or more Flex tracks for the curve with K-C transition straights where the curve starts and ends. This seems obvious, are there any disadvantages to such a solution?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2017 02:38:16(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have this all over my layout and it works just fine. However, there is a height difference between the C and K track. So if you mount your K track on a cork roadbed it is approximately the same height as the C track. What I do for the transition track is build up layers of thin cardboard in various lengths to prevent it from floating in air between the C and K track.

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2017 20:32:09(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The benefits of K flex in an otherwise C layout are that you can make curves and routings that you cannot with the c track system. The gentle bends and weaves on a straight to large radius curves.. and size it to fit in one piece vs a mix of C track to match the 360mm grid. The only issue, as mentioned, is matching the transitions up. K track sits lower, so you need to raise it, the rail itself is different "code" sizing. The k track rail is taller than the C-track, so if you build your own transition and directly attach the K track to the C track after bringing up the K track so the top of the rails are at the same height, you will see the bottom of the steel rails don't align, so you need those transitioning rail joiners to connect things up there. (plus the electrical connections you have to make. That does allow transitioning from C->K and K->C in a more customized space than the straight transition pieces from Märklin.

My planned layout still includes the idea of using flex k-track on some longer opens spaces of non-turnout running, such as from one tunnel to the next. With K you then need to ballast it to match the C track (whose ballast you can colorize or amend), so there is more work to make it all look more integrated, but thats part of the modeler fun.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok