Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gwolski  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2017 20:19:31(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Prototype photo:

Model Photo:

SUMMARY:
The EU07 is a Polish electric locomotive designed as a mixed traffic locomotive, and as such is used both in freight and passenger traffic. Efforts in Poland to design and build electric locomotives post World War 2 were not entirely successful. The PKP decided to build on license using the British built EU06 design. The EU07 differed from the EU06 only in certain details (such as locally built compressors or heating devices) and, as such, were very similar in external appearance.

Production of these four axle locomotives started in 1965, although large scale production did not commence until 1968. When the production run ended in 1975, a total of 240 units had been delivered.

EU07 information: http://www.locomotives.c...c%20Locomotives/EU07.htm

This review is for the Piko 96374 EU07 PKP electric locomotive. This locomotive is in the Piko Expert Locomotive line and is a new item for 2017. The loco comes decorated in the PKP IC livery as seen pulling trains such as the TLK 23100/23101 Długosz.

See vagonweb.cz for other examples of compositions using this locomotive.

UP CLOSE:
The model uses the standard Piko packaging and is in great shape, even after the sadly rough international shipping adventure to get to my desk! Kudos also to the shipper for bubble wrapping the loco box – it really does make a difference!

Piko does not disappoint with the detail on the Expert line locomotives – handrails, windshield wipers, horns, steps, finely detailed pantographs, and roof details. There are driver’s compartments at both ends, and the loco sides and underbody are well represented.

3-RAIL:
Let’s knock this out early – this locomotive appears to be two-rail only. I did not see any mention of 3-rail in the catalog or (sometimes more telling) in the spare parts listing for the locomotive. However, there does appear to be room for a slider on the bottom of either truck along with the necessary vertical clearance. I do not plan to convert this loco to 3-rail, but I will update the review with clearance measurements to include a photo of a slider. You can, of course, run 3-rail using the overhead if the configuration jumper is set appropriately (and you’ve adjusted the wiring for the wheels).

PAINT AND MARKINGS:
The EU07 is painted in the modern PKP Intercity blue and gray scheme. Paint is smoothly applied with crisp demarcations between colors. I really like the fading dots logo on the sides. When compared to prototype photos, all markings appear to be present, in the correct locations, and accurate. Piko didn’t miss the blue loco number on the middle windshields on each end. Overall a great looking paint job!

DIGITAL:
The body shell comes off the chassis with some moderate pressure – no screws are used for retention. With the body shell off, the chassis reveals the PluX22 decoder socket with plug in addition to the speaker chamber. My ESU LokSound decoder is on order – I will update the review with the decoder install once it arrives. Per the instructions and per other Piko PKP locos, it should have bi-directional lighting along with directional cab lighting. If memory serves, you may have to fiddle with the decoder settings slightly but it’s easy to do using my ESU LokProgrammer.

NOTE: the circuit board appears to follow Piko practices and has solder pads labeled WR-AC for updating the right wheel wiring for 3-rail operation. As with other Piko locos, there is also a selector screw labeled AC, but I’ve not taken the time to determine what moving this screw from the DC position accomplishes. If someone else knows, please chime in!

CLOSING:
A solid offering from Piko! I can easily recommend this locomotive to others. I will probably pick up a second loco for multiple passenger trains. With some light weathering, this locomotive will really stand out on your layout. Pair it up with the recent Piko 58662 and 58663 coaches or with some of the outstanding PKP coaches from ACME.
Gene Wolski
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 20 September 2017 13:26:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Great review! Thanks! ThumpUp
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2017 09:26:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've bought a Piko loco recently and found out a few things afterwards I've looked at the circuit board. it was mentioned a 16Plux decoder which I've ordered but than afterwards I've realized it should have been a 22 Plux decoder, the extended 22Plux decoder gives the loco the interior light and high beam functions, although the high beam smd leds haven't been fitted (I've done this since than but it took me a while to figure out how to get an electrical connection from the light circuit board).

there are so many writings on the circuit board and in some ways very helpful if you can find out the meaning of these. like the DC and AC screw. apparently there is a white socket also on the circuit board which I've been told its for SUSI.

Mine is a DC model so I've ordered a pick up shoe and 2 more axles with rubber tyres, I also made an electrical contact for the pantographs.

regards.,

John

BLS 187 (8).JPG

BLS 187 002 1 (1).JPG

BLS 187 (6).JPG
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline gwolski  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2017 16:31:08(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I've bought a Piko loco recently and found out a few things afterwards I've looked at the circuit board. it was mentioned a 16Plux decoder which I've ordered but than afterwards I've realized it should have been a 22 Plux decoder, the extended 22Plux decoder gives the loco the interior light and high beam functions, although the high beam smd leds haven't been fitted (I've done this since than but it took me a while to figure out how to get an electrical connection from the light circuit board).

there are so many writings on the circuit board and in some ways very helpful if you can find out the meaning of these. like the DC and AC screw. apparently there is a white socket also on the circuit board which I've been told its for SUSI.

The Piko locos with the PluX22 socket appear to be wired similarly. I mentioned in my SP45 review that the 3-rail conversion was pretty simple by re-routing wires and adding the slider. As for the functions, it took a bit of fiddling, but I was able to get all of the lighting functions to operate. IIRC, Aux3 and Aux 4 are the cab lighting outputs.

I've not had the time to really examine the PC board. Theoretically, moving the screw from DC to AC might enable analog AC circuitry - totally not needed for a 3-rail digital conversion but essential if you run 3-rail analog. It's a moot point for me since I'm moving back to 2-rail digital. However, my dad is and will stay 3-rail digital so I try to keep current on on 3-rail digital.

Cheers!
Gene Wolski
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by gwolski