Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2017 01:48:27(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi All,

I'm trying out my first ESU 54631 Conversion kit on a Marklin 3086 steam loco, to see how I like it. This kit retains the original 3 pole marklin motor, and simply swaps the coil winding for a permanent magnet.

I"m reassembling the motor now, and I realized I should pay a bit more attention. The original marklin motor cover plate had two capacitors like all analogue marklin locos do- should I remove these or leave them in place?? If memory recalls I leave the one between motor leads and pull the one that goes to ground out.

Also, there are two new resistors included with the kit- where/how should these be wired? I'm assuming to each sdie of the motor lead. Does it matter which direction these are soldered in? (if I remember right it does?)

Thanks in advance! The kit didn't really have any instructions...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2017 08:08:28(UTC)
H0

Hi!

You're correct about the capacitors - leave the one between the motor leads, remove those towards .ground (one or two).

The "resistors" are actually chokes - one for each motor lead, direction does not matter. Instructions come with the decoder (and chokes are not shown in the instructions). The set should include the thick decoder manual.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline French_Fabrice  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2017 08:10:11(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
If memory recalls I leave the one between motor leads and pull the one that goes to ground out.

Yes, you are right.
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Also, there are two new resistors included with the kit- where/how should these be wired? I'm assuming to each sdie of the motor lead. Does it matter which direction these are soldered in? (if I remember right it does?)

They are not resistors. They are chokes with value 4.7µH (yellow, purple...).
Each choke must be soldered on each motor lead, and the other side of the choke connected to one of the motor wire of the decoder (orange or gray). The direction of the choke doesn't matter.

Cheers
Fabrice

Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2017 15:47:42(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks gents! I'll wrap up the project tonight.

Tom- you are correct. The manual had the wiring diagram (which I know thankfully), but not the choke placement.

Have a great day!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2017 17:45:40(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Interesting note: the ESU magnet did not get along AT ALL with the marklin cover plate/motor casting. It seemed to fit fine but there must have been an issue or a machining problem somewhere. In the end I used my spare marklin 60943 motor kit to complete the job...

I'm hoping the magnet does not give me trouble the next time I try it in another loco...
SBB Era 2-5