Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BR221  
#1 Posted : 31 August 2017 06:26:52(UTC)
BR221

Australia   
hi Fellow model train enthusiasts,

I am new to the hobby and have recently purchased , the Fleischmann FLE931781 starter kit which includes the Z21 start controller, N gauge.

I also have new Marklin m83 (60831) decoders that I would like to operate the 4 solenoid operated TRIX turnouts, in DCC mode with.

Could anyone please advise:

1. If the Z21 start controller is compatible to operate the m83 (60831) decoders that I would like to operate the 4 (TRIX 14934) solenoid operated two way (TRIX 14955) turnouts.

2. If it is compatible, could anyone advise what should I set the micro switches on the decoder so that I can operate the four TRIX solenoids.

Best Regards.

BR221
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 31 August 2017 07:53:28(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

Re 1: Decoder and controller should be compatible.

Re 2: Set the decoder to DCC mode. Refer to the manual. Maybe try different addresses - if small addresses do not work, make a test in the 100+ range.
DCC is an international standard, but I seem to remember there are different implementations with respect to low accessory addresses.
I think the Z21 also supports MM protocol for turnouts. Testing the decoder in MM mode will be worth a try if you cannot get it going with DCC.
I would definitely try DCC first.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline BR221  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2017 08:40:42(UTC)
BR221

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

Re 1: Decoder and controller should be compatible.

Re 2: Set the decoder to DCC mode. Refer to the manual. Maybe try different addresses - if small addresses do not work, make a test in the 100+ range.
DCC is an international standard, but I seem to remember there are different implementations with respect to low accessory addresses.
I think the Z21 also supports MM protocol for turnouts. Testing the decoder in MM mode will be worth a try if you cannot get it going with DCC.
I would definitely try DCC first.

Tom, I thank you very much for the very prompt and encouraging advice and for welcoming me !

I must confess. I can not make any logical sense out of the CV program addresses (even though ive been pouring over the manuals for a few hours!) and I am fearful that if I "tinker" around I may cause some disaster to the equipment that has been sent from Germany!...

So if any one can provide advice that is a bit more specific on the Dip switch settings that are known to work...even if just to be able to prove that one turnout works! That would be GREAT!!!!

PS. ...Ive understand that Dip switch 10 should be in the ON position for DCC.

Best Regards:
Evan.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 31 August 2017 23:34:09(UTC)
H0

I once heard that wee addresses can cause problems with some controller/decoder combinations as there could be an offset.
I think no problem in the three-digit range.
Just try e.g. address 100 or 200 or so.

If you set the DIP switches for DCC address 12 and 12 does not work, then try all addresses from say 1 through 24 and see if one of those works.

I think there are not many Z21 users on this site (and I admit I am not).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline BR221  
#5 Posted : 02 September 2017 04:10:35(UTC)
BR221

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I once heard that wee addresses can cause problems with some controller/decoder combinations as there could be an offset.
I think no problem in the three-digit range.
Just try e.g. address 100 or 200 or so.

If you set the DIP switches for DCC address 12 and 12 does not work, then try all addresses from say 1 through 24 and see if one of those works.

I think there are not many Z21 users on this site (and I admit I am not).

Hi Tom,

Again I'm very grateful that you have replied once more. I think I need to study and "possibly" understand how to program Cv values before I try anything. I guess I need to program the Multimaus controller to recognize the switch settings (as I can not yet unlock the z21).

Many thanks
Evan
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 02 September 2017 09:38:40(UTC)
Goofy

You can use decoder like Märklins so long there is protocol that supports by of digital system.
Z21 dark box and z21 white box do have MM and DCC protocol.
When you set Märklins decoder m83 (dip switch) to DCC make sure there is no power switch on!
You can use low adress too.
Trix motor are magnetic switch.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline DB Fan  
#7 Posted : 02 September 2017 21:30:48(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Hello
I just watched the introduction for the z 21 on you tube by modellbahn shop Lippe. The unlocking of the z 21 refers to if you buy a wireless controller/ maus and you have to unlock the z 21 to make it work. The controller/maus is not programmable. The z 21 box is the "brains" and the maus is just, well a controller. That's what I got so far out of the introduction. Even so I don't have a z21 I thought that the box looks very close to the ms 2. They have another episode where they are going to explain more about how to use it also with marklin. All the videos are in German so if you aren't fluid in German maybe ther is somebody near you who could help you with that. Hope this helps.

Happy Model Railroading

Robert
Offline BR221  
#8 Posted : 03 September 2017 02:38:41(UTC)
BR221

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
You can use decoder like Märklins so long there is protocol that supports by of digital system.
Z21 dark box and z21 white box do have MM and DCC protocol.
When you set Märklins decoder m83 (dip switch) to DCC make sure there is no power switch on!
You can use low adress too.
Trix motor are magnetic switch.

Goofy,
Thanks for the advise. Not sure if Ive tried changing the switches with power on!...Hope I have not wrecked a brand new decoder!!!!

Evan
Offline BR221  
#9 Posted : 03 September 2017 02:49:13(UTC)
BR221

Australia   
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
Hello
I just watched the introduction for the z 21 on you tube by modellbahn shop Lippe. The unlocking of the z 21 refers to if you buy a wireless controller/ maus and you have to unlock the z 21 to make it work. The controller/maus is not programmable. The z 21 box is the "brains" and the maus is just, well a controller. That's what I got so far out of the introduction. Even so I don't have a z21 I thought that the box looks very close to the ms 2. They have another episode where they are going to explain more about how to use it also with marklin. All the videos are in German so if you aren't fluid in German maybe ther is somebody near you who could help you with that. Hope this helps.

Happy Model Railroading

Robert

Robert,
Thanks Pal. Yeh, I spent a day trying to get the Z21 (with modem) to communicate with my android tablet, and finally realized there were some instructions on what seemed a very long process to unlock it. However, when I put the codes in (Roco site, on-line) it wont give me the unlock code. ....Ive emailed Roco of the issue (more waiting). I cant believe what the Z21 will do in terms of the graphic interface!!!!!!..its now a long and arduous learning curve for me.

Thanks for advice on youtube. Wish I paid more attention to learning German back in high school!

Evan
Offline DB Fan  
#10 Posted : 03 September 2017 03:26:29(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Evan
You can pm me if you like for specific questions you have and I will do my best to translate the info from the video. Did you purchase the wireless router? Also in the new video they are going to explain how to operate marklin c track switches with a built in decoder.

Happy Model Railroading

Robert
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 03 September 2017 07:39:13(UTC)
Goofy

One more thing to know about Rocos Z21 and z21.
You can upgrade system too via PC.
If you have Mac computer,it´s not possible to upgrade system because Z21 and z21 allows only Windows operative system.
If not less you do boot the Window to the Mac computer...

I hope you did solved the problem with the Märklins turnout decoder m83.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline BR221  
#12 Posted : 03 September 2017 13:15:12(UTC)
BR221

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
One more thing to know about Rocos Z21 and z21.
You can upgrade system too via PC.
If you have Mac computer,it´s not possible to upgrade system because Z21 and z21 allows only Windows operative system.
If not less you do boot the Window to the Mac computer...

I hope you did solved the problem with the Märklins turnout decoder m83.

Thanks Goofy.
I already have the modem and android tablet. Just need to get the Z21 unlocked.

have not been bold enough to try M83 issue until I workout the DP switch settings for DCC.

Best Regards
Evan
Offline BR221  
#13 Posted : 07 September 2017 02:00:42(UTC)
BR221

Australia   
Hi Gents,

Im pleased to report that after unlocking the Z21 start, everything is fully functional !

One thing that I had to do was set the configuration for it to add +4 to the Cv values using the Z21 maintenance program. This enabled the recognition of the Marklin 60831 decoder thereby enabling actuation of turnouts!

I did not have to program an Cvs. it found everthing itself! (Ill dwell on Cvs later on perhaps.)

WHAT a FANTASTIC device this Z21Start is!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help Lads!

Joy!!! BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
Evan