Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jeffd  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2017 16:59:45(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
I am new to Marklin and recently received a number of Marklin locos and rolling stock that have been sitting in a case behind glass for about 27 years untouched except for a dehumidifier that has been running in the room during the summers. Prior to this resting period they were well cared for by a meticulous 27 year Marklin collector. All the pieces are older and were purchased on the secondary market between about 1963 to 1990. I plan to sell on Ebay the pieces I will not be adding to my own collection (unless there is a better way?) but would like to take each loco on a short test run before I sell them to confirm they run and have no issues. I am looking for some advice as to what maintenance I should take with the locomotives to ensure no damage is done during the short test runs on my layout. I just ordered a bottle of LGB Marklin Trix oil with a needle applicator so I hope I am on the right track.

Any advice would be appreciated by this new Marklin fan.
Offline jeffd  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2017 17:17:13(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
All of the locomotives are HO
Offline PhredD  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2017 03:21:06(UTC)
PhredD

United States   
Jeff,
When I brought my old (analog) loks out of storage after 30 plus years, I basically only needed to do a light (operative word: light!) oiling per the instruction manuals. I needed to replace a few springs on some reversing units, and one lok needed new traction tires. Apart from that, they were good to go. I then bought a few (again, analog) locomotives off eBay, and some needed the gunk that was stuck in the gears and wheels cleaned out - after that and the oiling, they run just fine. The older loks are very hardy beasts.

There's a very useful Märklin service manual for the analog engines - item number 0733. i just did a search on the site but none of the links appear to be working any longer (or at least for me.) Someone here may have an electronic copy - otherwise, I can make a pdf for you of the hard copy I previously printed out.
HTH,
Fred
PhredD
Burke, VA USA
Offline jeffd  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2017 13:14:59(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
Great, I was able to find the manual on line. Really appreciate your help !
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeffd