Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2017 23:41:44(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Now that Scarm is no longer freeware it is perhaps time to compare what it offers, for its price, compared to other commercial programs.
Freeware Scarm has certainly been found an excellent tool by many on this site. It's introductory price of Eu 30 makes it still the cheapest product on the market compared to WinTrack, AnyRail, etc. But are there other features from paid competitors that should be taken into consideration before we buy Scarm 1.0, since we now have to buy some program, Scarm or other, to continue to avail ourselves of more than minimal capability track planning software?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline Ausipeet  
#2 Posted : 12 August 2017 00:13:10(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
i tend to agree with this but at the same time if one looks around on the net i am sure that some where out there there still lurks a version 6 of wintrack which is still considered one of the better options for track planning software.
also seem to recall that some one on this forum might have this unit for download.
Offline Legless  
#3 Posted : 12 August 2017 10:37:39(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
I'm happy with Scarm. With Mixy helping when needed.
I've downloaded the latest and purchased a license. 😀
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Legless
Offline loderunner  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2017 15:26:43(UTC)
loderunner

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Legless Go to Quoted Post
I'm happy with Scarm. With Mixy helping when needed.
I've downloaded the latest and purchased a license. 😀

I think AnyRail and SCRAM are comparable programs. AnyRail is very user friendly as compared to SCRAM. I have paid subscription for this and won,t bUY SCARM-It is a "bit" crude program. Therefore, I won't buy a program like SCRAM which is somewhat primitive.

BTW David from AnyRail is very friendly and helpful.

One cannot compare SCARM with WINTRACK. WINTRACK is much more sophisticated program.

Sorry I misspelled SCARM in my previous post
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by loderunner
Offline GlennM  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2017 01:06:28(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I like WinRail ThumpUp
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2017 21:33:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I've used WinTrack a limited bit (Just purchased it recently to do my layout planning) and I do like that you have/can get footprints/models of accessories from makers like buildings, platforms, etc... so you can use that on the layout planning and take it into account for spacing, etc. The size of the ecosystem and its current-ness for any planning program is important if your doing anything beyond a simple tabletop layout.

On the downside, WinTrack (not sure others have this either) doesn't support a multi-level layouts in its 3D rendering - so if you are like me and building a multi-level shelf layout - where you have a base board for one level (and then another baseboard for the other level above) then the 3d engine cannot render that in a way that lets you see the lower level. So you need to effectively create one layout per level to get renderings.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Jabez  
#7 Posted : 15 August 2017 00:01:55(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I didn't realize that WinTrack and WinRail were actually different programs. Thanks.
PS I just downloaded the demo version of WinTrack to have a look at its capabilities and ease of use.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline DV  
#8 Posted : 15 August 2017 04:33:37(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Came across this web based program where your design is saved on cloud.

OK, it's not a paid program, it is (stated) free (and has some connections to SCARM, with the help of libraries), but still worthwhile to be looked at.

You have to register (free) and then sky's (cloudBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin get it) the limit.

Trax Editor

Haven't tried it....yet (too busy doing other thingsBigGrin BigGrin Blink BigGrin BigGrin )

I did have a look at the videos, and I must say, I was impressed. But it might not be your cup of tea (especially old farts like me) if you haven't embraced saving all your 'stuff' in/on 'The Cloud'.

You have to register everytime you want to use it (I suppose like this forumSmile ).

If you're solely into using a tablet, then this definitely is for youThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

If some of you designers would like to have a crack, go for it, and maybe give us a quick report on how well it operates ThumpUp ThumpUp

Sorry for all the clichesBlushing Blushing Blushing Blushing
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 15 August 2017 05:35:38(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Offering software for free is pretty common and acceptable practice. You get to use something for free, and have some influence in its design, while the programmer gets to see if there is interest in their idea, how hard it will be to maintain, and get a feel for the likelihood that they can afford to live on the income. I can tell you that it is very hard work to write something like SCARM, and they are unlikely to be the next Bill Gates from their venture either.

Some programmers, use a "light" (or lite as they say in the USA) version as a way to attract potential customers.

So, those of you using SCARM should blow out the moths from your wallet, like our friend Legless, and support the starving, but very talent programmer. BigGrin
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup