Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Br01  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2017 02:23:37(UTC)
Br01

Portugal   
Hi,

I just bought the cs3 60226 and cannot find a way to find a locomotive address (non mfx) when adding a new loco. This is specially useful for non marklin locos, with esu/loksound decoders or M models not in the database or even M models without the default address.

With cs2 there is a button with a locomotive and an arrow that starts a search for the address and configures the locomotives after it founds the address. Also cs2 has dcc, mm and mm2 programmable options whereas in cs3 I only found dcc and mm..

I have a loksound 4 that with mm2 type the cs2 founds the address 101 and configures it well and in cs3 even if I mannually put mm 101 it doesn't work or read the decoder parameters..

Anybody knows how to put the cs3 searching for the loco addresses and configure itself (functions) for non mfx?

Kind regards,
John
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2017 04:03:19(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Br01 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I just bought the cs3 60226 and cannot find a way to find a locomotive address (non mfx) when adding a new loco. This is specially useful for non marklin locos, with esu/loksound decoders or M models not in the database or even M models without the default address.

With cs2 there is a button with a locomotive and an arrow that starts a search for the address and configures the locomotives after it founds the address. Also cs2 has dcc, mm and mm2 programmable options whereas in cs3 I only found dcc and mm..

I have a loksound 4 that with mm2 type the cs2 founds the address 101 and configures it well and in cs3 even if I mannually put mm 101 it doesn't work or read the decoder parameters..

Anybody knows how to put the cs3 searching for the loco addresses and configure itself (functions) for non mfx?

Kind regards,
John

Hello John,

if Spanish is for you easier to read than English or German, then please download the latest 60226 manual from the Maerklin database. Now there is a Spanish version included.

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/60226/

I refer to the German version, but as far as I understand these manuals, all page numbers equals at the various languages.

On page # 11 of the manual is documented adding locomotives manually. This you have to do, if the loco does not have a mfx decoder on board or is not in the CS 3 database. The manual describes to add locos from the database inside the CS 3. If your loco is not yet in the database you have to add it completly manually. If you have a CS 2, have you tried to bring your data directly to the CS 3?

On page 6 is a desription to import data from CS 2 to CS 3. The only data you cannot transfer is one from the layout. This you have always to set up completly new at the CS 3.

Also recommendable is the Maerklin digital book

https://www.maerklin.de/...digital/digitalbuch-cs3/
https://www.maerklin.de/...te/details/article/03092

Unfortunately the English version is obviously not yet published, although Maerklin announced it for the first time for April 2017.

regards

Wolfgang

Edited by user 04 August 2017 16:36:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Joan Ferrer  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2017 08:51:17(UTC)
Joan Ferrer

Spain   
Hello John
Look what software version has its CS3 60226, if it is not 1.3.0 should update it to this version, I think the base of locomotives is wider than the previous version.
In case you already have it to version 1.3.0 you should consult the Märklin service to see if this is normal in this central.
I can not tell you anything else, I do not mean to test CS3 60226, since I have the CS3 plus 60216 and do not have this problem.
Greetings from Joan Ferrer
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joan Ferrer
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2017 16:26:53(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Joan Ferrer Go to Quoted Post
Hello John
Look what software version has its CS3 60226, if it is not 1.3.0 should update it to this version, I think the base of locomotives is wider than the previous version.
In case you already have it to version 1.3.0 you should consult the Märklin service to see if this is normal in this central.
I can not tell you anything else, I do not mean to test CS3 60226, since I have the CS3 plus 60216 and do not have this problem.
Greetings from Joan Ferrer

Hello Joan,

last year I bought a CS 3+ (60216) and the attached manual to the delivered controller is actually not an operations manual, only a short instruction and not very helpful. First you have to download an operations manual from the Maerklin homepage (see link above). Meanwhile (what a luck!) this manual is in 6 languages (even in Spanish BigGrin) available.

For an easy handling I downloaded the file and made only for the German manual section a print out (altogether 39 pages, whereas the complete file with the 6 languages has already 235 pages).

Yes, update 1.3 included an update for the mfx loco database too. Nevertheless as in my post #2 written, you must not ask the Maerklin service for not listed locos. Just have a look into the downloaded manual. There are the all procedures documented for installing all kind of locos on a CS 3. (mfx, fx, MM, DCC). They even describe, how to search and find a missed mfx loco. Because it might sometimes happen, that the controller has this problem.

By the way, on page 7, 2nd paragraph (from top left corner) of the downloaded manual, you find in bold letters the information, why this manual is valid for a CS 3 (60226) as well as for a CS 3+ (60216). The differences of both controllers are mainly the hardware. The software is in both devices the same.

regards

Wolfgang
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Br01  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2017 13:58:23(UTC)
Br01

Portugal   
Hi,
Thanks for all your valuable feedback. For searching the address (when you don't know it) I found the procedure is different in cs2 and cs3.

In cs2 in the menu of manually add locomotive you have an icon with a locomotive and an up arrow. You select the protocol (mm, dcc, mm programmable) and then click that button. This works in most "digital" locomotives (in delta or older decoders doesn't work but you can try all 16 addresses quickly). You have to repeat with various protocols if you don't know what decoder is inside. This is useful when you buy a used locomotive (+90% of my stock) with changed addresses or esu/dcc decoders.
R
In cs3 (v1.3) this button is not active/present when you add a locomotive. Instead you have to create a locomotive with mm or dcc protocols with any address and then click ok. After that you edit the locomotive and the locomotive with the up arrow icon appears next to the address. You can now click and it searches the address and changes it accordingly. If it doesn't work you can delete the locomotive and create a new one with other protocol (dcc or mm) and try again.

If it is a marklin locomotive I found that is best if you create the locomotive by searching item number (e.g. 37970). In cs3 there is an icon (folder I guess) next to the address in the create locomotive menu. This configures the function icons correctly and in most cases the loco figure/icon as well. If you don't know the marklin number you can google "marklin" + "road number of the locomotive" printed in front and/or sides. E.g. "Marklin 18 466". You often find a link with the web with marklin part number. In the above example it is 29857.

Imho the cs2 approach is more intuitive, maybe something that marklin may improve in future cs3 updates.

Kind regards,
John

Edited by user 23 August 2017 00:31:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br01
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 05 August 2017 22:31:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Br01 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Kind regards,
John

It is possible with the current Maerklin controllers to search for a locomotive (mfx). As far as I know, it is not yet capable of locating the address of non-mfx decoders on older models and models not made by Maerklin. Once a locomotive has been added to the database, it can locate that locomotive if it is removed from the layout and then eventually returned.

Most AC locomotives from other brands are delivered ex-factory with '03' as the default address for Motorola. Some models with DCC capable decoders may have an extended address for DCC operation. That information is usually contained in the instruction manuals for either the model or for the decoder.
In cases where I have modified the original address, I register that information in a database (Excel or Word) that I can use to reference that information in the future. The information is listed as follows:

Company - Model # - Railway - Lok Type - Road # - Digital Address - Other (Features)
e.g.

Roco - 68503 - Crossrail - 185 - 185 567 - 56 - LDL (Long Distance Lights)

If anybody can confirm that the latest CS(3) can detect PnP decoders (other than mfx), it would be appreciated and would this also apply to Zimo Plux and other manufacturers that used to provide PnP OEM decoders?

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2017 17:44:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello Mike C,

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

It is possible with the current Maerklin controllers to search for a locomotive (mfx). As far as I know, it is not yet capable of locating the address of non-mfx decoders on older models and models not made by Maerklin.

This is correct, except for the M4 decoder from ESU. This should be the only one with mfx capabilities beside the Maerklin decoders. But I do not have any experience with this decoder.

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

If anybody can confirm that the latest CS(3) can detect PnP decoders (other than mfx), it would be appreciated and would this also apply to Zimo Plux and other manufacturers that used to provide PnP OEM decoders?

No, I cannot confirm this. Because only Maerklin and the M4 decoder from ESU have the technical conditions for the mfx format to be detected by a CS 3 or MS 2 automatically.

If other locos with other decoders are not listed in the Maerklin database, they have to be fed into the Maerklin database manually. It does not matter who produced these decoders as long as they understand the format fx, (= MM 1), MM (= MM 2) or DCC.

After feeding the database, then of course they were known by Maerklin's CS 3 or MS 2 as long as you do not delete them.

By the way, if you were feeding a database in a CS 3 with the technical parameters of a non-mfx format decoder, then the digital address, which is already assigned to another decoder, remains in red. You have to go forward with the digital addresses still a black one occurs. In my opinion you do not need your Excel sheet any longer. The administration of all your locos inside a CS 3 are managed by the CS 3. And of course you always can look them up and alter the stored information.

regards

TEEWolf
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 09 August 2017 04:51:48(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
There is another way to skin this cat.

Maybe you do NOT have to know the address of the loco if you can change it WITHOUT KNOWING ITS PRESENT ADDRESS.

This is what I do from time to time with my wireless remote control set.

In fact, just this weekend when I tried to register the new 30390 loco, I had a problem with my MS2 and ended up having to reset it.

The 30390 worked fine after that, but I lost the ability to run 3 of my fx locos since I did not remember their addresses and had not written them anywhere. Blushing

I tried to guess, no way Jose'.

So, I just dusted my old faithful wireless remote control set 29181, turned to page 14 of the REMOTE CONTROL instructions and CHANGED the addresses of two of these locos (the third one I guessed right from the 4 addresses set out in the remote control configuration) and voila' LIFE IS GOOD.

It is a VERY simple procedure. Takes literally 30 seconds to do.

If you do not have this set, you can buy a similar one for relatively little or go to a Marklin store that sells one of these wireless sets and have them do it for you for a small fee - maybe 20 Euros.

I can scan the appropriate page of this manual (NOT available on the Marklin website - I tried)if it can help anyone.

Silvano

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 09 August 2017 13:40:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The MS2 has an option to "Find" a loco address. It has to be the only loco on the layout and doesn't work for all types of loco, but it almost always works. I believe it does it by scanning through the addresses in order and sensing the current drawn by the loco when the lights come on in response to its correct address.

Is this option not available on the more "advanced" controllers?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline baggio  
#10 Posted : 09 August 2017 13:47:31(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Ray:

I tried the "find" function but it did not work.

However, I had MFX locos on the layout when I did. I am not sure if that made a difference.

I know that when you ADD a loco you cannot have other FX locos, but it is OK to leave MFX locos on, apparently.
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 09 August 2017 14:25:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Ray:

I tried the "find" function but it did not work.

However, I had MFX locos on the layout when I did. I am not sure if that made a difference.

I know that when you ADD a loco you cannot have other FX locos, but it is OK to leave MFX locos on, apparently.

Hi Silvano,

The "Find" function won't work if any other loco is on the track. Take the mfx locos off the track and try it again. You should find it works.
Ray
Offline baggio  
#12 Posted : 09 August 2017 14:35:38(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I will and report. BigGrin
Offline baggio  
#13 Posted : 10 August 2017 19:24:19(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Ray:

As promised, I am reporting on the "Find" function. Unfortunately, I tried 3 different locos and it did not find any. Cursing

As a result, for me one additional reason to LOVE my wireless remote control set is to be able to set a new address (from the four allowed) WITHOUT knowing the loco's address. BigGrin ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 10 August 2017 22:44:02(UTC)
TEEWolf

In fact, just this weekend when I tried to register the new 30390 loco, I had a problem with my MS2 and ended up having to reset it.

The 30390 worked fine after that, but I lost the ability to run 3 of my fx locos since I did not remember their addresses and had not written them anywhere.

Hi Silvano,

you do not have to remember the loco address, if you have them not altered before.

The mfx locos managing automatically their addresses. For all locos you find the address always in the manual for them. There I do not think, that you got so many locos getting the same digital address twice, just use the address form the manual. By the way a CS 3 is managing all addresses in their database automatically. The CS 3 does not allow you to give two locos the same digital address. Used addresses are blocked for others.

But doing a reset of a MS 2, you always have to feed the MS 2 completely new, for all locos. A solution will be using the loco card. Anyway they make life easier, if you alter plenty of the standard factory settings.
Offline baggio  
#15 Posted : 11 August 2017 01:29:43(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Wolf:

Yes, I do forget addresses Blushing .

The locos I was talking about were Fx.

Re-entering MFX locos is a cinch. No problema. That is why I no longer buy Fx locos if I can help it.

Even the 30000 as part of a set is an MFX loco - but if you buy it individually, it's Fx. Who knows why.

Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 12 August 2017 07:59:16(UTC)
H0

Even the 30000 as part of a set is an MFX loco - but if you buy it individually, it's Fx. Who knows why.
The "30000" from a set is not a 30000, it has the number of the set.
The 30000 had a Delta decoder at first, later came a silent upgrade to the current fx version with a new running number.
It would not surprise me to see another silent "upgrade" to mfx one day, seeing that many starter sets now include mfx locos.

fx decoders are a few cents cheaper, but stocking two different decoder types instead of just one also costs money. They have to get rid of their stocked decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 15 August 2017 04:07:59(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi, Wolf:

Yes, I do forget addresses Blushing.

Me too.BigGrin

The locos I was talking about were Fx.

Re-entering MFX locos is a cinch. No problema. That is why I no longer buy Fx locos if I can help it.

Hello Silvano,

good idea, if possible, but unfortunately not always actionable. Most of the decoders are only fx ones. Buying a non-Maerklin loco or decoder they are not able to recognize the mfx signal. So you have to enter them manually. Or if you use DCC, you always have to feed your MS 2 manually too. Doing a reset (as you did already and got the experience) you have to enter all data manually again.

For all this purposes Maerklin offers the loco card. This actually makes fx, DCC and other foreign decoders to a “manually mfx” decoder, once you have saved the data on the card. Beside this you always have a back-up for your loco data and perhaps once you have more than 11 locos running on your nice layout, it is an easy way changing the locos on your MS 2.

With a MS 2 you have a fine tool for handling these loco cards easily.

Ok, they cost some money
https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60135/

In a German MRR community a member reported about his tests with regular chip cards and they were also functioning, but much cheaper as the Maerklin ones. He recommended these cards

https://www.reichelt.de/...E=37024;GROUPID=;SID=313

regards

Wolfgang
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline baggio  
#18 Posted : 15 August 2017 05:02:33(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
In a German MRR community a member reported about his tests with regular chip cards and they were also functioning, but much cheaper as the Maerklin ones. He recommended these cards ...

These are about 1/3 the price, a good buy indeed. BigGrin

Having said that, what else do these cards do other than carry the address no?

I mean, if I had been a bit more careful, I would have written down the address no. of the locos on a sheet of paper (or in a computer file) and voila' I would have been able to run the loco in a flash. Am I missing something? Confused
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 15 August 2017 14:34:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The cards record more than just the address. When you add a loco to the MS2 from a loco card it will have the correct address, loco picture, function assignments and function pictograms. Many of my locos have their corresponding card so that I can use them straight away without having to make a new entry in the MS2.

The cards are most useful for non-Marklin locos and Marklin locos that have been converted to digital with non-mfx decoders.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF