Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline profher  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2017 21:41:03(UTC)
profher

United States   
Wiring C-track layout with digital train control and analog accessories (using separate power for each). Marklin warns not to put accessories on same circuit as tracks. However, when using circuit tracks to power accessories such as turnouts, wouldn't the accessory have to be on the track circuit in order for the momentary lever grounding to create a pulse to switch it? That's the only way I was able to make it work. Is there a problem with that? Also, am now having difficulties adding a 72720 control box to this arrangement so I will be able to manually override and activate the turnout. Thus, I have circuit tracks controlling "straight" and "branch" on my turnout and now want to insert a control box to do the same. Any suggestions for proper wiring? Thanks.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2017 22:01:54(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by: profher Go to Quoted Post
Marklin warns not to put accessories on same circuit as tracks.
Never use one power supply for your digital controller and analogue accessories at the same time.

Having one power supply exclusively for the digital controller and one power supply for the accessories is no problem. A "common ground" between digital track and accessory transformer is no problem either.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline profher  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2017 16:14:39(UTC)
profher

United States   
Thanks, Tom. Will try the "common ground" notion to keep power supplies separate but still be able to use circuit track to actuate an accessory. Still need help on wiring control box into circuit track-accessory path so I can override when necessary. Any ideas?
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2017 18:40:00(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: profher Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Tom. Will try the "common ground" notion to keep power supplies separate but still be able to use circuit track to actuate an accessory. Still need help on wiring control box into circuit track-accessory path so I can override when necessary. Any ideas?

Here are the wiring for a completly digital connection (pic 2)
and a digital circuit track with an analogue circuit connection for the acessories. (pic 1). Even Maerklin recommends this form of mixture digital/analogue connection, because you do not "waste" digital current for acessories and the transformer can be used as a dimmer control for the lights on the layout. But one thing keep in mind: if you have decoders for acessories working, you always must do for them a digital wiring as shown in pic #2. Otherwise you destroy your decoders. They cannot be used with an analogue current supply.

As far as my understanding of today is, that a control box - as 72720 - is not possible to attach to a digital circuit. For digital circuits you need decoders for all accessories like turnouts. Then they are toggled via the digital controller device boxes like a CS 3 or MS 2. A control box is in my opinion not possible.

In the Maerklin Magazin 2017-03 page 93 are wiring graphics, how to drive your layout alternatively either digital or analogue. The selection can be done with a toggle switch.

But I am not shure, if this helps you to solve your problem. The article is in German, if you want to get the article in German with the wiring graphics, please let me know.

regards

TEEWolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf