Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Irishrail201  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2017 00:47:22(UTC)
Irishrail201

Ireland   
Hi guys,
New to the marklin forum,
I recieved set 29522 as a present a few years ago and have used it to start my layout,
I really enjoy using the marklin stuff ..the loco is very reliable and a joy to use.
Iv serviced it but lately the pick up shoes started making a clicking noise that stopped but now it makes a noisy rubbing sound,
Iv checked the slider and doesn't seem bent in any way but has a black mark along the middle from the studs,
Do these wear out or is there a way of maintaining them,
I actually can't find much online about them I use C track by the way
Thanks in advance guys 😃
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2017 05:59:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Irish, just make sure the pickup shoe is level and not bend, older pickup shoes (hole in the middle) are making a noise on C-track but the new pickup shoes shouldn't do this as the slider's surface is continuous, the black mark (wear) could indicate your slider is not completely level and by taking it off and looking it from the side or place it on a flat surface you should see if the slider is level.

regards.,

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline dickinsonj  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2017 01:35:14(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
the black mark (wear) could indicate your slider is not completely level and by taking it off and looking it from the side or place it on a flat surface you should see if the slider is level.

regards.,

John

I agree - and if it is not level you can either bend it as needed or even buy a new one. I have bent many sliders back into alignment and proper tension and had them function perfectly. Don't be afraid to experiment with the mechanical bits as this tech is not bullet proof and it benefits greatly from user intervention. BigGrin

A black streak on a slider can also come from running it on incredibly dirty track, which could be the case with any used set. As with all MRR stuff it can never, ever be too clean. I would check the track and clean it in addition to paying close attention to the alignment of the slider.

Have fun with this cool set and be careful, because getting a set like that as a gift is how I started a full scale Märklin addiction. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Irishrail201  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2017 03:16:21(UTC)
Irishrail201

Ireland   
Thanks for that guys,
il have a fiddle with the slider and and give the track a good clean,iv been cleaning it but paying most attention to the actual rails il give the studs a going over
Offline Douglas  
#5 Posted : 03 August 2017 23:52:16(UTC)
Douglas

Scotland   
Hello, sorry, new member and this is my first post, I hope nobody minds me stopping here, but, I have just bought the aforementioned set, 29522 second hand (a classified on Facebook) and have never had any Märklin models before (but I used to model UK outline trains for years, and also have some other foreign models, mainly German from Roco and Fleischmann).

Anyhow, being so used to two rail modeling I am somewhat bemused by the slider, and have some questions.

It is clearly a 3 - rail system, but can the slider be taken off and run as a conventional 2 rail train?

I have not yet been able to try a 2 rail loco on it, but is this possible, or is this a seperate system?

How does it pick up, through the nails in the middle of the track?

Sorry, if these are stupid questions, I have only set it up and am now starting to look up what this actually is.

The loco (RE 481 003) looks amazing and is running nicely by the way!

Thanks.

Edited by user 04 August 2017 21:38:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 04 August 2017 00:17:05(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
It is a real three rail system. Power comes through the slider and is "earthed" on both rails. If you were to place a three rail loco or wagon on a two rail layout they will short-out the layout.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Douglas  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2017 00:33:24(UTC)
Douglas

Scotland   
Thanks for the quick reply, that is interesting, I always thought 3 - rail systems were of the past - Here in the UK, the most common image is of the old Hornby Dublo models up until the '60s', hence why I am somewhat bemused by this!

I bought it relatively cheaply from a guy who seemed to know little about it (he bought it from someone else and had intended to set it up, start out in the hobby, etc etc, but never did), and to be honest with you, I was thinking of using the track for display purposes, so I can keep it as a quirky curiosity and build on it with more 3 rail items!

Just another question, whoever has had it before has broken one of the pantographs on the loco, so where can locate a new one? I am guessing Ebay, but are they easily available??

Thanks.

Edited by user 04 August 2017 21:37:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 04 August 2017 00:47:35(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Once you have worked out the part number, you can:
- Go to your local dealer (not too common in the UK I believe)
- Buy online from Marklin's own spares shop (Freight is expensive and often you cannot just buy one)
- eBay is really the best bet, but make sure that you buy from a reliable seller (i.e. 99%+)

Sometimes a pair of pliers is all you need to fix pantographs.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Douglas  
#9 Posted : 04 August 2017 01:01:45(UTC)
Douglas

Scotland   
This is complete, but missing the head unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks again!
Offline Douglas  
#10 Posted : 04 August 2017 01:30:17(UTC)
Douglas

Scotland   
But, wait..... You said.... 3 rail wagons?? ....Really? Huh

And can normal 2 rail wagons of coaches be run on it (presumably if they have plastic wheels)??

Thanks

By the way, sorry for 'Hijacking' the thread, but it is the same set as discussed above, so, I just hoped nobody would mind.Blushing
Offline xxup  
#11 Posted : 04 August 2017 01:48:03(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
You can run two rail wagons on three rail track, but you can't run three rail wagons on two rail track without changing the wheels. The reason is that three rail wheel sets are electrically conductive across the axle as the rails that they run on are "earthed". If you place a three rail wagon on two rail track, which for simplicity purposes has a +ve and -ve rail on each side, the you have a short.

No such problems with two rail wagons running on three rail, but if they normally get power through the wheels to run things like searchlights or missile launchers or passenger wagon lights then the electrical parts will not work even though the wagons will mostly run on the three rail track.

The only other problem is that some two rail wheels might be too big (diameter) for the three rail track and the flange will hit the track sleepers or at least the clips that hold the rails to the trackbed/sleepers.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Douglas  
#12 Posted : 04 August 2017 02:43:12(UTC)
Douglas

Scotland   
Thanks, this is interesting!
Up until tonight, I only had a vague memory from quite a few years back of seeing modern 'foreign' locos being sold as 3 - rail, but being more of a UK modeller, I never thought more of it (I assumed it was something like an optional extra that could be added/removed or something)..... Until I saw my new model and the rather rusty coggs regarding it all started to turn again (Owww, no wonder I have a headache!).

Just one more question, are 3 - rail systems like this still common, or is it more of a niche/less popular market? I see that what I have bought is a 'Starter Kit', so clearly it cannot be all THAT rare, but, still, I am curious as I genuinely know nothing about these models!

Thanks.
Offline dickinsonj  
#13 Posted : 04 August 2017 03:06:10(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Douglas Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, this is interesting!

Just one more question, are 3 - rail systems like this still common, or is it more of a niche/less popular market?

Märklin has a large presence in Europe with their 3 rail only system, but offers similar models in 2 rail format in their Trix lineup. Overall 2 rail systems are much more common than 3 rail.

3 rail systems are even less common in North America, unless you are a hard core Märklin collector like I am. They both have advantages and disadvantages which are less meaningful with modern technology. Many of us collect 3 rail simply because that is what we started with many years ago.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Douglas  
#14 Posted : 04 August 2017 03:27:16(UTC)
Douglas

Scotland   
Thanks, yes I looked it up and saw it has advantages and disadvantages, and also that Garden modelers like it (something which hadn't even occurred to me..... The preferred system I mean, not garden railways).

Thanks all, tonight has been most illuminating!
Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 04 August 2017 07:56:32(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
.... Just one more question, are 3 - rail systems like this still common, or is it more of a niche/less popular market? I see that what I have bought is a 'Starter Kit', so clearly it cannot be all THAT rare, but, still, I am curious as I genuinely know nothing about these models!
Thanks.

Hi Douglas,
I believe Marklin "own" the German model train market, with 60% of railway modellers in that country being customers of the Marklin brand.
It also has a high profile following in Holland, Belguim, Denmark, Italy and other countries adjacent to Germany.

Historically, Marklin were the initial marketers of digital control for model trains, I think back in the 1980s.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Michael4  
#16 Posted : 04 August 2017 10:09:48(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   

Just one more question, are 3 - rail systems like this still common, or is it more of a niche/less popular market? I see that what I have bought is a 'Starter Kit', so clearly it cannot be all THAT rare, but, still, I am curious as I genuinely know nothing about these models!

Thanks.

Apart from enthusiasts Marklin has a virtually non existent presence in the UK market. Try finding a supplier who actually has stock!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Online pederbc  
#17 Posted : 04 August 2017 10:17:41(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

The most important "feature" with 3-rail is that you never have to worry about return loops and switch polarity. And with the C-track you will have a very reliable railsystem.

My opinion Cool /Peder
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 04 August 2017 11:31:25(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!

The loco has plastic axles and can easily be converted to two-rail.

Just in case you bought the three-rail set by accident, you can keep the train and convert it to two-rail and maybe sell the tracks.
Or combine both track systems on one layout.

Märklin items for two-rail are sold under the Trix brand. OTOH you can get three-rail locos from Roco, Fleischmann, Brawa, and many others.

BTW: The Re 481 cannot operate in Switzerland. A nice starter-set for a Germany-themed layout.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Douglas  
#19 Posted : 04 August 2017 21:54:39(UTC)
Douglas

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Welcome to the forum!

The loco has plastic axles and can easily be converted to two-rail.

Just in case you bought the three-rail set by accident, you can keep the train and convert it to two-rail and maybe sell the tracks.
Or combine both track systems on one layout.

Märklin items for two-rail are sold under the Trix brand. OTOH you can get three-rail locos from Roco, Fleischmann, Brawa, and many others.

BTW: The Re 481 cannot operate in Switzerland. A nice starter-set for a Germany-themed layout.

Hello, to be honest with you, I didn't so much buy it 'by mistake', yes, it threw a definite curve ball at me as I was looking at it (it never even occurred to me to look for the slider in the pictures, why would it?), but I was really curious as to why it was there and what I could do with it. I had already decided to buy it anyway, so I was going to get it home and then figure it out later.

Unfortunately, all I got was a quick look at it when I got it home due to various reasons, so it was only later that I was able to sit down and look at it all properly.

As for converting it back to 2 rail, no, I think I'll leave it, certainly for now anyway.

Also, Trix?? I have an old 2 rail N - Gauge, DB class 184 somewhere, so I have had a Märklin of sorts before after all!

Thanks for the reply!
Offline Douglas  
#20 Posted : 04 August 2017 21:57:43(UTC)
Douglas

Scotland   
Thanks for all the replies, I have learned about part of the hobby I knew very little about!!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#21 Posted : 06 August 2017 15:46:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks for all the replies, I have learned about part of the hobby I knew very little about!!

Welcome to the Forum Douglas.

We have several members in Scotland, who may be able to meet with you and help you, but i see so far none of them have said anything on this thread.

Just whereabouts in Scotland are you?

Alan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Ian555  
#22 Posted : 06 August 2017 21:12:52(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Welcome to the Forum Douglas.

I live not far from Edinburgh, send me a PM and we could arrange to meet up.

Ian.
Offline steventrain  
#23 Posted : 06 August 2017 21:19:10(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Irishrail201 Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys,
New to the marklin forum,

Hi and Welcome to the forum.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline steventrain  
#24 Posted : 06 August 2017 21:21:24(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Douglas,

Welcome to the forum.Smile

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain