Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zoomtrain  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2017 20:05:23(UTC)
zoomtrain

United States   
Hi, all! I built quite a collection of Marklin cars, track, and rolling stock as a kid and now that my son is old enough, I'd like to get back into the hobby. My problem is that since I've been gone, digital has come on the scene. I like the C track (getting familiar with it from the MyWorld battery sets I've gotten for my son), and I'd like to get it powered and run my stuff on it. My main concern isn't to go full digital as yet, but just to run my old gear (mostly analog locos with a couple digital) on the new track with an upgraded and updated controller. I'm currently using a very ghetto transformer and an old 37540 throttle control (the blue plastic one). What should I buy to simply plug in and run? I'm considering the 29000 digital starter pack. Will that work?

A related question is about the small controllers that come with start up pack likes this one http://www.ajckids.com/products/Marklin/29140 Are they programmable or engine specific? Will they run analog trains?

Thanks!
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2017 20:54:21(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, this controller is very basic. I would recommend you to get a starter set with a MS2 wich is basic but allows you to program decoders and control also turnouts. An analog engine cannot be controlled by means of any digital device. In digital the track is always powered and commands travel via electric pulses to the loco decoder, so, an analog engine will run at full speed, with no control in a digital controlled track.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2017 22:09:07(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
And converting older Analog engines to digital is not really hard if you can manage a small soldering iron, or one of the many dealerships in the USA can convert them to digital or even digital with sound. But a small starter set with the MS2 is the cheapest way to get going. I have been trying to sell my German starter set so I can get a Swiss starter set. While not a sound equipted engine, it is the nice new style BR24 2-6-0 that is all metal. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2017 23:44:36(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
AJCkids(where I get most of my brand new M from) has both full starter sets, or you can get a track and mobile station 2 set for $159. I think the least expensive starter set with a MS2 is either a German or Austrian diesel powered set that comes with the MS2. The C track turnouts are easily converted to powered and an internal decoder(2 seperate items). Then you can control the turnouts right from the MS2. This is what I do. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline rugauger  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2017 15:48:22(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
+1 for the Mobile Station. It's a great controller, especially if you're not planning on switching your turnouts digitally. You will have to hang on to your analog controller, though, unless / until you have converted your older locos to digital.

Be especially careful with what controller is connected to the the track - if you accidentally plug in your digital controller at the same time as the analog, you will likely fry the digital controller!
Richard
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2017 16:38:47(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Zoomtrain, and welcome to the forum. BigGrin

A few personal observations:

1. Do NOT buy a set that comes with a WIRED remote control as the one you showed us. I have one and do not like the wired remote at all. It is a cheap piece of plastic that Marklin should not have put on the market. The track piece it attaches to is even worse. Looks like a home-made job.

2. Having said that, very similar sets exist that have a WIRELESS remote control and they are very good. I have two full sets of remote and control track and I love them. So does my grandson (3).

You can also buy one or more wireless remote controller(s) (not expensive) and then you and your kids can each control a train on the layout. ThumpUp

These sets have one issue, though, they automatically shut off after three minutes. You need to have this "feature" (I call it a defect) fixed so that does not happen if it bothers you (it bothered me). There is lots of info on this forum on point.

3. As for buying a set with an MS2, maybe. The MS2 (do NOT confuse it with the old MS or MS1 as it is called) is a fairly complicated controller to use, at least for me. Unless you are certain you will go ahead with Marklin digital, it may be quite an initial expense, even in a starter set. Please note that you cannot use the wired remote if you use an MS2 (or MS1 for that matter).

4. I would not worry about digital turnouts for now. Unless you have turnouts far from where you are sitting, they are not necessary. I had to buy a separate set of digital turnouts that work very well for this reason, but otherwise, why pay the additional money?

5. Blue transformers are a fire hazard - please do NOT use them. You can read up on point in this forum. Buy a used white analogue transformer and you will be free from these concerns.

5.1 These transformers can blow the decoder in your digital loco.

Bottom line:

In your shopping list I would put, in this order:

A. White transformer for analogue locos (you CAN run digital locos in analogue mode with these transformers without fear of putting the house on fire or blowing the decoder), see below;

Transformer

b. Wirelesses remote controller set; and

c. One or two extra wireless remote(s).

Happy train running. ThumpUp

Offline baggio  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2017 18:16:04(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I happened to see a much better value for your starter set, for about the same cost:

Digital starter set with wireless IR remote
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 17 July 2017 04:40:51(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Is it possible to run these controllers [http://www.westendtrains.com/html/29166.html ] in conjunction with an MS2.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline baggio  
#9 Posted : 17 July 2017 05:09:31(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Is it possible to run these controllers [http://www.westendtrains.com/html/29166.html ] in conjunction with an MS2.
Dereck

I hate to be categorical about this, but I doubt it very much. If you can, you would have to do some very fancy electronic work that I know nothing about.

Certainly, Marklin never shows these sets, or even just the remotes, as being possible to be used in conjunction with an MS2.

Sorry.