Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2017 06:51:41(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Has anyone besides me broken a detail part on one of your locos? Tonight I cracked the handrail on the tender of one of my steam engines Cursing. During some gentle handling while adjusting the Loco on the track I wasn't paying attention and put too much force on the railing. It's very frustrating and it hurts to damage a beautiful model Crying.

Regards,
David
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2017 07:56:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes, I've done that to some of my 1 Gauge locos quite a few times. Since G1 locos are relatively heavy (and expensive!), handling and unmounting and mounting them on their bases can cause small pieces to break off and or break entirely. Sometimes they can be glued back on, sometimes I don't bother as I know they will come off again.

You certainly quickly learn where you can handle them and where you can't due to breakages (although the manuals give some guidance on correct handling). After a show where we have G1 locos running we always perform a layout and floor inspection looking for pieces that have come off locos and coaches / freight cars, as we know it inevitably happens.

I've only had one instance of where stuff got broken off due to someone else mis-opperating a loco. I think they were trying to find a loco's address by calling addresses up on the controller and setting a speed. In doing this they accidentally called up my loco and drove it into the turntable pit off the turntable spur where it had been parked. Although this broke stuff off the loco, at least it wasn't driven in the opposite direction because if that had happened the loco would have driven off the layout on to the floor (we had no stop buffers on the track, which we make sure we do now...). However I recall someone else catching another rather expensive loco in time before it hit the floor due to the same person dailing up locos on the controller somewhat willy nilly - in fairness to them they were around the far end of the layout and might not have been able to see the turntable area and been aware of the havoc they were causing.

We now make sure we publish lists of loco addresses, and restrict who has access to controllers. Letting kids play with wireless remotes unsupervised can also cause trains to rear end another train, so we avoid doing that!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 28 June 2017 08:37:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I also have a Marklin 39020 I bought used. It was in perfect condition when I got it, except for one of the tender handrails being broken in half. I'm not sure how to fix it, thoughts range from 3D printing a replacement to using a handrail piece from a kit (a Faller bridge kit I have has some leftover handrails that might be able to be made to fit).

I agree, it can be a bit disheartening when something is broken off by accident. The best you can do is find an ingenious way to fix it!
Offline Janne75  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2017 20:44:45(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I have also broken my 1 Gauge 54325 DB BR 260 switch engines plastic handrail by mistake. Why Märklin doesn't make these also from metal like the loco body is made of? It was almost factory new when this happened...
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 02 July 2017 03:31:57(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I'm not particularly proud of the fact, but I have actually damaged details on two HO locos when servicing them before I ever ran them and I really do try to be very careful with my expensive toys.

I started collecting Märklin in the 80's and you could be pretty rough with them back then, as they had very few details. I have since learned to be extremely careful with my newer models and I still can't promise that something won't get broken.

I guess it is just the price we pay for the amazing level of detail on some of today's locos, and of course on my fat, clumsy fingers too. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline artfull dodger  
#6 Posted : 02 July 2017 04:08:24(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
The best way to handle gauge one is not to handle them! That being said, many guys on the live steam side of gauge one make a carrier that can be placed on the track and the model ran up a ramp and into the carrier without touching or at the most, pushing it from the end carefully. I have seen one that would make contact with the rails to provide power to the ramp and carrier rails so that a powered model could be driven up into the carrier. Once in the carrier, the end ramp was folded up and latched and the model carried in the carrier without ever touching it. Not sure one could do this in HO scale, but anything is possible. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!