Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Santa Fe 3751  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2017 20:35:44(UTC)
Santa Fe 3751

United States   
Hello All,

I hope this post is in the correct place!

Since I am an American, I am wondering if marklin Motorola protocol decoders can be used with Lionel (TMCC/Legacy command control, not "conventional") and MTH (again, DCS not "conventional") electric trains. The reason I am wondering is because I want to "build" my own Marklin decoders with Arduino to run inexpensive sound cars. I am hesitant because I have done research and I see that the marklin digital system puts (as far as I know) additional (app 14v) AC voltage on the track, causing "voltage spikes." If this is true, then Lionel and MTH could not withstand that, as they require a steady 18v AC at all times, NO VOLTAGE SPIKES!

Thank you for your time,
Santa Fe 3751.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2017 22:09:05(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by: Santa Fe 3751 Go to Quoted Post
I am hesitant because I have done research and I see that the marklin digital system puts (as far as I know) additional (app 14v) AC voltage on the track, causing "voltage spikes."
No, Märklin Motorola is clean "bipolar pulsed DC".
All protocols widely used in Europe (MM, DCC, mfx, SX) use the same voltage levels and can be used on the same track pseudo-simultaneously.
They are all "bipolar pulsed DC".
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Santa Fe 3751  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2017 23:23:20(UTC)
Santa Fe 3751

United States   
Thank you sir, but that still does not answer my question of "will Marklin decoders work on Lionel 18V steady AC current?"
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2017 07:54:15(UTC)
H0

Thank you sir, but that still does not answer my question of "will Marklin decoders work on Lionel 18V steady AC current?"
Lionel uses 18 V, but as far as I can tell this is not "AC", but "digital". According to Wikipedia it is similar to NMRA DCC.
https://en.wikipedia.org...inmaster_Command_Control

Märklin controllers produce track voltages that are somewhere between 16 V and 22 V (maybe even 23 V), so 18 V are not a problem in general.

You wrote you want to build your own decoders, so why is this relevant?

If there really is 18 V AC on the track, the Märklin locos will probably run full speed all the time until they burn out.

I don't know what "Märklin decoders" will make with Lionel track voltage if it is "digital" track voltage. Locos will probably stand still and do nothing, but they might get going, either in digital or in analogue mode. Must be tested with a sample of any type of "Märklin decoders" - and there are several different types from different manufacturers.

Maybe someone else tried that.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Santa Fe 3751  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2017 14:47:02(UTC)
Santa Fe 3751

United States   
Sir,
Thank you for your response. Yes, tmcc is similar to dcc, however, the codes are transmitted through the air rather than through the track. Also, the voltage is just 18v ac, no digital component.

I am nervous about this because I heard that digital signals can burn out Can motors common in lionel engines. Is this true, or nothing to worry about?
Offline DB Fan  
#6 Posted : 25 June 2017 19:22:14(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Can you clarify what you want to do? Do you want to control legacy and MTH decoders with a marklin controller or do you want to control marklin decoders with a Legacy/MTH DCS controller? As far as I remember both systems are very limited for controlling any other decoders(if at all) then there own decoders and when I had the systems and read up on them both systems stated that they where not dcc but there own digital control system.

Happy Model Railroading

Robert
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 26 June 2017 07:33:39(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I am nervous about this because I heard that digital signals can burn out Can motors common in lionel engines. Is this true, or nothing to worry about?
Some DCC controllers allow operating an analogue loco on a digital layout.
Only robust locos should be used for that. Coreless motors (motors with bell-shaped armatures) are at great risk and Trix disallow using their locos in this mode, even for locos with the famous Märklin "coffee grinder motor" (a motor that is rather robust IMHO).

This does apply to analogue DC locos where the motor is directly connected to the track voltage. AC or digital track voltage might be harmful.
AC locos are a completely different story.

This does not apply to locos with a decoder. There shouldn't be issues if the locos are equipped with electronics for a multi-train system.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage