Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2017 15:54:36(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Hi everyone,

I went to a local model train show on Saturday. They only had one layout (modular type), very few bits of used Marklin catenary for sale, and very few European trains for sale. These included some Roco, A.C.M.E., Fleischmann, and Lilliput. I would like to see more interest in Marklin and European trains in general around my area. It was neat to see a lot of vintage American trains and manufacturers though. Just my thoughts...

Regards,
David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AmalfiCoast
Offline sjbartels  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2017 17:39:06(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Unfortunately that's the sad reality of living in the United States. In a country where the likelihood of walking into a model train store (if the city in question even has one) even carries Marklin is extremely low, the likelihood of going to a model train show and finding anything European, much less Marklin, is going to be unfortunately quite low as well. I'm at the point of simply watching the Piko Facebook page, they list any shows they'll be attending, and thats a good gauge of where I am more likely to find anything European wise. Another place I watch is the ETE site (European Train Enthusiasts) is a good one as well. There are others of course, but sadly we are limited in the US, yes.
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2017 21:52:42(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The issue is, of course, compounded by US side organizations such as ETE and others standardizing around DCC, which makes Märklin trains not easily integrated into a modular official layout.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Online 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2017 22:12:35(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: AmalfiCoast Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

I went to a local model train show on Saturday. They only had one layout (modular type), very few bits of used Marklin catenary for sale, and very few European trains for sale. These included some Roco, A.C.M.E., Fleischmann, and Lilliput. I would like to see more interest in Marklin and European trains in general around my area. It was neat to see a lot of vintage American trains and manufacturers though. Just my thoughts...

Regards,
David

I'd say if you saw ACME, Roco, Fleischmann and more it was a pretty darn good show for European trains in America...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2017 02:38:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you are talking about the show in Timonium, MD, I know that one US European dealer (EuroTrainHobby) announced that they would be in attendance. They are not known as a Maerklin dealer, but do stock Roco, Fleischmann, LSM, ACME and other brands.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline sjbartels  
#6 Posted : 20 June 2017 05:00:49(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
If you are talking about the show in Timonium, MD, I know that one US European dealer (EuroTrainHobby) announced that they would be in attendance. They are not known as a Maerklin dealer, but do stock Roco, Fleischmann, LSM, ACME and other brands.

Regards

Mike C

I've purchased some stuff from EuroTrainHobby online actually, good dealer, never had any issues
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline Brakeman  
#7 Posted : 23 June 2017 01:51:32(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Hi David,

not sure if you mean there was just one European layout in the show or just one layout.
Our club ETE SoCal participates about four shows in a year in San Diego and LA area plus the EuroWest in San Francisco Bay Area. In local shows we're used to be the only European theme layout among roughly five other layouts.
The show business is consolidated into one main operator TrainShow Inc http://trainshow.com/. They try to profile the shows a bit, and World's Greatest Hobby -show typically has a few manufacturers or distributors attending. Otherwise the vendors to me are on flea market level. You see same people selling same old stuff show after show, wonder how they get their expenses paid.

EuroWest is different, typically three European layouts from western clubs, a few local dealers and tons of euro stock to buy. Next year EuroEast is planned to be in your area,please visit the ETE website http://ete.org/euroshows

One more thing, sign up for ETE membership!

Regards,
Juha

Offline Brakeman  
#8 Posted : 23 June 2017 02:19:55(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
The issue is, of course, compounded by US side organizations such as ETE and others standardizing around DCC, which makes Märklin trains not easily integrated into a modular official layout.

Hi Thomas,

I don't see the command protocol being a separator, we run all the time MM, mfx and DCC simultaneously with ECoS and CS -boxes. The main difference is us being 3-rail and American HO clubs being 2-rail. At least in this side of Mississippi. And of course European and American layout themes won't mix.

California is 90% Märklin -country, but we run also 2-rail trains for a couple of hours in every show on our layout. The K-track system supports isolating all 3 rails from each other. Again, this is not protocol dependent.

The distances here are long and we don't even anymore plan to connect our SoCal modules with Bay Area or Sacramento. Also I don't see a Fremo type of concept thriving in here.

Do you belong to ETE Pacific Northwest? Hope to see you in EuroWest,
Juha
Offline DB Fan  
#9 Posted : 23 June 2017 03:03:41(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Hello
I looked at the ETE website and I was somewhat puzzledConfused why the 2018 EuroEast is in January in MA. I live in SC and would have liked to go to it but not in January in MA when a winter storm can hit at any time. Its not that I can't drive in snow( grew up in Germany and Ohio) just don't like to take the chance to be stuck or in the ditch because of it. Is there a chance that the show could come further south like to NY or NJ in the future? Thanks

Happy Model Railroading

Robert
Online 5HorizonsRR  
#10 Posted : 23 June 2017 15:45:14(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
Hello
I looked at the ETE website and I was somewhat puzzledConfused why the 2018 EuroEast is in January in MA. I live in SC and would have liked to go to it but not in January in MA when a winter storm can hit at any time. Its not that I can't drive in snow( grew up in Germany and Ohio) just don't like to take the chance to be stuck or in the ditch because of it. Is there a chance that the show could come further south like to NY or NJ in the future? Thanks

Happy Model Railroading

Robert

Hi- the reason for MA is it takes place within the largest train show in the Northeast- the Springfield meet. It is a HUGE show drawing tons of people. Agreed the weather is terrible, but its a much bigger machine than just ETE. I'd say the ETE section (which is extensive) is maybe 3% of the whole show footprint. If that even!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#11 Posted : 23 June 2017 17:40:10(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,

Yes, Euro Train Hobby was the vendor present at the show in Timonium last weekend. I was specifically looking for Marklin but it was nice to see the other Euro brands mentioned. I did not see the LS Models brand at the table, though I may have just missed it.

Respectfully,
David
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#12 Posted : 23 June 2017 17:45:43(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Originally Posted by: Brakeman Go to Quoted Post
Hi David,

not sure if you mean there was just one European layout in the show or just one layout.
Our club ETE SoCal participates about four shows in a year in San Diego and LA area plus the EuroWest in San Francisco Bay Area. In local shows we're used to be the only European theme layout among roughly five other layouts.
The show business is consolidated into one main operator TrainShow Inc http://trainshow.com/. They try to profile the shows a bit, and World's Greatest Hobby -show typically has a few manufacturers or distributors attending. Otherwise the vendors to me are on flea market level. You see same people selling same old stuff show after show, wonder how they get their expenses paid.

EuroWest is different, typically three European layouts from western clubs, a few local dealers and tons of euro stock to buy. Next year EuroEast is planned to be in your area,please visit the ETE website http://ete.org/euroshows

One more thing, sign up for ETE membership!

Regards,
Juha

Hi Juha,

As far as I could tell, there was only one layout in the entire show - the rest of the space was vendors. Regarding your comment about people selling the same items show after show, I got the same impression about this particular show.

Thank you for the information on the EuroEast show - I will make it a priority to attend.

Respectfully,
David
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by AmalfiCoast
Offline artfull dodger  
#13 Posted : 24 June 2017 03:16:29(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
The last time I was real active with Marklin HO trains was while we were living in Erie, PA. Which is kind of a long ways from anything hobby shop wise. One has to go to Cleveland(Medina) to find Marklin or Buffalo NY for other non European brands. So the yearly show in Erie was the place to be. I had my little 1960's era Marklin layout set up each time. And after the first year or so, I had dealers walking down to my layout display before the doors opened to the public with boxes of odd ball European stuff and Marklin. They were tired of taking it to other shows, and taking it home again. I got several nice boxes of mixed brands of Euro trains really cheap. I find the challenge of finding that one odd ball Marklin or other European item among all the USA stuff part of the fun. Instead of being overwhelmed and over budget with so much to choose from, finding one or two cars was a successful show. Many times I would get the cars for a very keen price as the seller was glad to be rid of that "odd ball" European stuff! You always find one that thinks because it says "Marklin" on it that its worth loads of $$, even if its a lowly 3000 series 0-6-0. I would leave him with my standing offer for the item(s) and walk away. Most would see me at the Erie show the next year and many times, would accept my offer to just be rid of it. Train shows in general have declined in quality in the USA in recent years. Many factors are causing this, between Ebay, high costs of various things, average age of modelers getting up there and many passing on, the list goes on and on. Many trains that were out of reach for me a few years ago, are affordable now. Not cause I making more $$, far from that, but the prices have really come down with the glut of used trains coming on the market from estates. Cheers Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline seatrains  
#14 Posted : 25 June 2017 19:38:50(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
David, echoing the comments on the thread, by most local show (not the big traveling trains shows like "Worlds Greatest Hobby" or "Great American Train Show") standards you encountered what most of us Euro modelers experience in the USA and I would say you actually found a lot! It was disappointing that there was only one modular layout, but one of the shows that I attend in a small town out here only has 3 or 4 layouts. One of our ETE members runs Euro Trains on a NMRA modular layout and also has his own Kibri preformed Marklin layout that he displays and just his presence at local shows has caused the train vendors to bring more European product to shows and we all can benefit from that. I joined the local NMRA group and they introduced me to a couple of fellow euro train folks. I joined the ETE and we have a small group of euro train folks that meet intermittently. Also talk to the vendors. I once bought a ton of vintage marklin because I told the vendor at the table that I was disappointed that there was none at the show and he had 4 boxes of loks, cars, tracks, transformers etc and wanted to get rid of it. Vendors have introduced us to fellow euro train folks, so over time a little network has formed out here in the Pacific Northwest. Also there maybe someone in this group who lives near you that you can link up with. I have met folks from this list in person. My two cents...
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by seatrains
Offline sudibarba  
#15 Posted : 20 July 2017 05:17:21(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
Hello

Happy Model Railroading

Robert

Hi Robert - it's Eric.
Been to that show about 5 times. Weather not always too bad (I lived in MA at the time) certainly not much worse than Germany in the winter.
There were times when I walked in in a light sweater. Not too much Marklin but there were some vendors and a layout. Layouts in general at shows are not
much but you can talk to the members.
I would like to go to the fall show in Milwaukee as Maerklin is there in New Berlin and Miwaukee is a great town to visit. Usually the first part of November.

Anyone been to that show?

Eric