Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2017 01:25:18(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
What's a good loose ballast match for M Track? Martin in Sweden recommends Woodland Scenics Buff, but apart from that one are there any others commonly available that suit?
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline Ausipeet  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2017 04:41:40(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
I have used beach sand from different locations, aswell as having gone to local sand suppliers and obtaining several buckets of material as close as possible to the rtequired color then at home using sifts to get the right grade to use as ballast, then to apply this i use a solution of wood glue and water make this to a brusheable consistancy and then sprinkle ballast over the glue area allow to dry and eiter use a hand held vacuum cleaner or brush it off and make sure it is still useable for next section.
Hope this helps
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ausipeet
Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 15 June 2017 07:18:50(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
When I was on M tracks, Chinchilla sand from the local pet store provided the nicest color/granularity combo for me. Cool

IMG_0369.JPG
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 15 June 2017 09:09:58(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Jabez,

Just a word of advice regarding ballasting M tracks fully.

Unless you have access from underneath, it is very likely that at some stage you may have to replace a track or a turnout solenoids.

I bought brand new tracks (manufactured in the 80-90), but still have to occasional tweak the turnouts (due to derailments) or change a solenoids.

I only ballasted up to the bottom edge of track, but it was still a big job getting access (c track you can bend upwards and downward to dismantle, but with M track you need to almost start from the beginning to dismantle...).

Unless you are using K tracks (with solenoids access) or under board access to turnout I would not recommend complete ballastingCrying

Regarding ballast I also used WS buff. I don't know why but sometimes it actually also looks good to just do a contract ballast. Have a look at Marklin exhibition layout (grey C track tracks on light brown dirt).

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Jabez  
#5 Posted : 16 June 2017 00:21:31(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jabez,

Just a word of advice regarding ballasting M tracks fully.

Brgds Lasse

Thanks Lasse,
I was thinking on trying out the method advocated by Martin of Sweden in his tutorial video. I.E. Cut thin polystyrene sheets to fit the inter-track, prepare these by glueing ballast to them, glue or pin them in place between the tracks, and finish off with a loose ballast sprinkling. That should make it easier to lift the tracks should it be necessary, although it is only an experiment for me.

Jabez
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 16 June 2017 00:26:39(UTC)
applor

Australia   
On my original M track layout I used coloured plaster/filler on the sides to give a smoother gradient of the ballast slope and then ballast material over the top.

I can't remember what ballast material I used, probably whatever was locally available that looked comparable (likely WS)

Of course I wouldn't use M track ever again but if you are committed to M track and want a better look (bit of an oxymoron if you ask me), I'd likely get some granite ballast (Granitschotter) from ASOA:

http://www.asoa.de/spurh0.htm

granite ballast
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Jabez  
#7 Posted : 16 June 2017 01:18:25(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
if you are committed to M track and want a better look

Thanks. It's only for a trial in what will be a hidden M section before I apply the method to visible C track.
Jabez
Offline marklinuser  
#8 Posted : 01 October 2018 05:59:56(UTC)
marklinuser

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
eiter use a hand held vacuum cleaner or brush it off and make sure it is still useable for next section.
Hope this helps

For me using a wireless vacuum works fine, but you should also be sure that you can find a propper nozzle to access hardly reached places
At least you can find a good solution from this review: https://wisepick.org/best-cordless-vacuum/, BISSEL can perform great!
Offline Gregor  
#9 Posted : 01 October 2018 09:12:40(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi,

I use ballast from TAMS electronic (...) for my M-track.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The walking path next to the tracks are made from the N/TT version of the same brand.

Available at http://tams-online.de/ep...0e4/Products/79-10203-01

Best regards,
Gregor
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline perz  
#10 Posted : 17 October 2018 22:59:56(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I have used beach sand mixed with medium ground black pepper. Even though I haven't embedded the tracks, you can see that it blends in quite well.

www.persmodelrailroad.com/lp/lp_yard_s.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by perz
Offline Jabez  
#11 Posted : 18 October 2018 21:47:36(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: perz Go to Quoted Post
I have used beach sand mixed with medium ground black pepper.

Just as well Vasco da Gama in 1497 pioneered that sea route to India which brought down the price of importing pepper to Europe, though I doubt if he had model railway ballast in mind.BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 18 October 2018 21:58:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Ballast is not all one colour. Oil and different colour of stones along with weeds (weeds also of a different colour)

Pepper makes me sneeze lol.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.