Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamBob  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2017 00:27:50(UTC)
SteamBob

United States   
I am new to Marklin Gauge 1.
I have some newer and some older Gauge 1 Marklin freight cars that I want to install the 56101 couplers on.

I purchased the couplers, but no instructions came with them.

I have looked at the standard couplers on the cars but it is not apparent how to remove the original and install the 56101 prototype couplers. Unfortunately no help on Marklin website.
I don't want to break the old coupler prying it apart if that is not the right approach.

Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2017 03:09:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The claw couplers are normally held in with a screw, so replacing them is simply a matter of finding and undoing the screw.

Not sure if the 56101 couplers are held in with a circlip, but it seems the spring is needed.

56101 description

"Detailed miniature reproduction of the original prototype coupler as used in real life on the railroad. Works like the prototype. With mounting spring. Contents 10 pieces. The standard 1 Gauge models produced since 1987 can have the regular claw coupler replaced with this reproduction prototype coupler. This coupler looks and works like its real life prototype. Running a train with this coupler usually requires a very wide minimum radius of 3.0 to 3.5 meters or 118" to 138", depending on the models. Current standard 1 Gauge models that can be retrofitted with this coupler can be identified by the symbol shown below."
Offline SteamBob  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2017 03:32:26(UTC)
SteamBob

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The couplers are normally held in with a screw, so replacing them is simply a matter of finding and undoing the screw.

The original is a complete coupler assy with shaft, pocket, spring, and coupler. The whole assy is held with a screw, yes. But the 56101 is only the small shaft with a hook and link on one end and no hole for mounting on the other end. Plus the shaft is too small for a screw.
There is a spring attachment. Not sure how it goes.
Have you seen one?????Confused
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2017 05:51:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: SteamBob Go to Quoted Post

Only a picture of them.

I know that a similar coupler on my KM-1 G1 loco was held in with a circlip. Is there a notch on the end of the coupler shaft?

It looks like from the picture that the 56101 couplers have a square shaft, which should fit into the square hole left from the removal of the claw coupler.

I would think the spring goes on the outside, and the circlip fits on the end of the coupler shaft inside the loco frame to hold it in place.

I'm guessing somewhat here, but that's how I think it works.
Offline SteamBob  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2017 09:55:06(UTC)
SteamBob

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: SteamBob Go to Quoted Post

Only a picture of them.

I know that a similar coupler on my KM-1 G1 loco was held in with a circlip. Is there a notch on the end of the coupler shaft?

It looks like from the picture that the 56101 couplers have a square shaft, which should fit into the square hole left from the removal of the claw coupler.

I would think the spring goes on the outside, and the circlip fits on the end of the coupler shaft inside the loco frame to hold it in place.

I'm guessing somewhat here, but that's how I think it works.

Yes there is a notch at the end of the shaft. Looks like that is to engage the circlip you mention on the spring.
My question is " How do you remove the Claw coupler from the pocket without damaging anything that is needed and then insert the new coupler with spring ( if that's the way you do it"). The screw you mention just holds the whole existing Claw Coupler Assy. to the car

I was hoping someone on this Forum has experience installing these.

I have plenty of experience installing Kadee, and other knuckle couplers as replacements for LGB type . But I don't want to damage something I need in trying to figure it out.
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2017 09:59:16(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Bob,

These pictures come from two different loco-instructions, but at cars it's the very same. I think they explain what to do:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards

Markus
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 14 June 2017 11:28:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Markus! So, the end of the spring acts as the circlip - makes sense.
Offline SteamBob  
#8 Posted : 17 June 2017 10:10:04(UTC)
SteamBob

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Bob,

These pictures come from two different loco-instructions, but at cars it's the very same. I think they explain what to do:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards

Markus

Many Thanks Markus,

That explains the couplers that are Body or buffer mounted. Not sure if it covers all. I will have to look again at some other cars.

Great Diagrams! Thanks again.

Bob
Offline Markus Schild  
#9 Posted : 23 June 2017 21:54:13(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi all,

I just noticed that Märklin changed the coupler last year. The pictures above are only valid for the older version. The version delivered now is the same than the old HÜBNER - coupler. More about this (in German): https://www.maerklin.de/...-1/aktuelles/kupplungen/
The new coupler has a small washer which holds the spring and is more detailed than the older Märklin-version.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Alazar  
#10 Posted : 01 April 2018 16:18:49(UTC)
Alazar

United States   
I just bought some of these and the clip is at the end of the spring. The instructions make it look easy, but they are a nightmare to install. If anyone wants some help, I can post how I finally did it. If you know an easy way to do it, please post.