Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cargodog  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2017 13:22:31(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Hi,

I've had a 7286 turntable with a 7687 decoder, and it has worked perfectly so far. I've had it powered by an ECOS 50200. The other day I decided to make some changes to my layout,which involved moving the TT. I literally moved it 25 cm/10". I connected everything the same way and, voilá! It didn't work.

So, here is what I've tried.

1) Checked all wires to make sure there are no loose connections,
2) Re-installing the TT on my ECOS,
3) Checked the voltage on the TT tracks, which is fine at 19V,
4) Taken the track off the TT and tried to run the motor in a rudimentary setup, just to see if the motor was turning. It wasn't,
5) I've re-wired the whole TT setup according to the ESU ECOS manual

Any good ideas?

As a side note, since I'm redoing a bit of the electrical, would it be an idea to go set up an ECO Booster to only power the TT and any lights I want on the layout? I have a spare Booster lying around, so I figured it'd be a good way to separate track and lighting. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

René

IMG_1625.JPGIMG_1626.JPGIMG_1627.JPG
If everything's under control, you're just not going fast enough.
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 31 May 2017 20:10:57(UTC)
Goofy

An question...did you changed anything on the Ecos keyboard?
Seems an adress code is missing?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Cargodog  
#3 Posted : 01 June 2017 07:19:38(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Hi Goofy,

Nope, initially I didn't change anything on the ECOS keyboard. I literally just moved the TT and reconnected everything the same way. There may be an address problem I'm unaware of, but, unless I'm mistaken, there are not that many mistakes to make in terms of addresses. When setting up the TT in the ECOS, there's only one place to alter address settings. It's defaulting to 225, which, as far as I understand, is the correct setting, unless you have more than one TT. Is there another place I can alter addresses for the TT?

Now it i possible that the TT just "magically broke/died" as I moved it, but it is definitely not probable. I know the TT is supposed to run on 16 volts, but since it's powered directly from the ECOS it runs on the 19-20 volt of the track. I wouldn't think that would be enough of a difference to fry the motor of the TT? IF that's the case, shouldn't the motor have been fried when I first checked connected it to 19-20 volt track power?
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Online JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 06 June 2017 23:38:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi René,

From your pictures, your 7286 seems not modified and not burnt.
I would check:
- normal operation with the control panel delivered with the 7286 (no ecos, only a good old transformer)
- if not working, check the flat cable for possible cut of one conductor (a test with a multimer between the contact on the cable and the rotating contacts (concentric disks) may be usefull),
- check the contact blades for proper position and alignment (a tooth pick in the center screw allows a vertical and proper drop in position of the bridge/table). Attention they can very easily come loose from their rail (the electric welding is weak)
- check the motor for possible mechanical "stuck".
When installing the TT it is vital that it sits on a flat plywood (not bent and preferrably horizontal).
Hope the above helps and sorry for telling you things your probably know already.

Cheers & good luck

Jean

My TT Video Click here
Offline Cargodog  
#5 Posted : 15 June 2017 14:44:54(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Thanks for your input, guys.

The problem is fixed and the TT is operating normally again. As embarrassing as it is I'll explain the reason in the unlikely event someone will be as daft as me.

As I wrote in my initial post, I moved the TT 25 cm and wired everything exactly the same way - or so I thought. After giving up on my TT, I noted the trains would short circuit the track when they crossed over from the ECOS section to the ECOSBOOST section. That had never been an issue before. I searched this forum for a possible answer. Whilst I didn't find an answer to my problem, it did get me thinking. I decided to reverse the polarity on the output from the ECOS. Voila! The trains didn't short circuit when crossing from one section to the other and more importantly the TT was working perfectly again.

When I moved my TT I also moved my ECOS command station. I had to remove the track power wires from the plug in order to fit the cable through the table. When reconnecting I somehow reversed the polarity relative to what is was before. No signs of unusual behavior was evident except for the TT not working. Train we're running fine, that is as long as they stayed on the same section. Stupid mistake. It cost me a new TT which I now have spare. Anyone want to buy a turntable, by the way? ;-)

Anyway, as always, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Cheers, René...