Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cmondialo  
#1 Posted : 30 May 2017 14:53:49(UTC)
Cmondialo

United States   
Watching the forum for a while, great resource. I have a few mfx all running on a mobile two. My 95.9 is the only noisy one and only in one direction. I have lubricated it at the points on the underside, tried reversing the center pick up as well, even tilting it a bit since it seems directional (plastic on one edge). All to no avail. It's a slight clicking, sounded to me like the gears meshing? And it's totally smooth in the opposite direction. I tried removing the four screws in the exploded diagram on the underside (part 13) but the bottom plate wouldn't come loose and I didn't want to force it. How does it come loose ? I'm thinking i need to get to the motor am I wrong? Any thouhts welcome.
Thanks again
C
Offline michelvr  
#2 Posted : 30 May 2017 15:43:22(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Cmondialo,

Could be gears or the slider?

Easy way to check is to use a small flash light and see if the slider in riding smoothly on the puko.

It's possible that the slider is not riding correctly on the puko.

I've had to straighten the slider or even bend it into a slight arc to get rid of the clicking sound. It does happen with some of the locomotives when they run in the opposite direction.

A little trial and error will eliminate the clicking sound.

If it's the gears the locomotive should hesitate and run poorly, could be dried up lubricant. If that's the case you will need to disassemble and clean and re-lubricate the moving parts as indicated on the diagram.

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Cmondialo  
#3 Posted : 30 May 2017 16:30:21(UTC)
Cmondialo

United States   
Thank you!!! I notice the slider has one end with a plastic leading edge. I won't touch that end but will try to put a slight arc in the center. Other end has the std curve to it to keep from catching. The engine runs great other than the click in one direction, and its well oiled at this point lol. So maybe that's not the cause. I Tried reversing the pick up is there a preserved direction for the vt95.9????? Thanks again!!!
Offline Cmondialo  
#4 Posted : 31 May 2017 15:30:01(UTC)
Cmondialo

United States   
Definitely saw the Puko versus motor sound. Minor tweek to slider and that's minimized but the main chatter is still present. Must be the gears internal since i tried now marklin grease and oil in access points. I will try to open the body. Any insight, if not ill just work it gingerly.
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Hello Cmondialo,

Easy way to check is to use a small flash light and see if the slider in riding smoothly on the puko.

I've had to straighten the slider or even bend it into a slight arc to get rid of the clicking sound. It does happen with some of the locomotives when they run in the opposite direction.

If it's the gears the locomotive should hesitate and run poorly, could be dried up lubricant. If that's the case you will need to disassemble and clean and re-lubricate the moving parts as indicated on the diagram.

Michel

Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 31 May 2017 18:00:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Cmondialo Go to Quoted Post
Definitely saw the Puko versus motor sound. Minor tweek to slider and that's minimized but the main chatter is still present. Must be the gears internal since i tried now marklin grease and oil in access points. I will try to open the body. Any insight, if not ill just work it gingerly.
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Hello Cmondialo,

Michel

I would suggest you loosen the screws on the motor brush plate and see if moving that around, making sure it is seated properly, makes any difference. I don't know if this is a work drive loco, so don't know if you will be able to rotate the motor by rotating the wheels. If you do go this route take the brushes out first.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 31 May 2017 20:45:24(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I don't have that rail car.

Most likely it has worm-drive, so do not try to turn the wheels.
Maintenance-free motor, so do not try to take the brushes out.

I assume you do not have to remove any screws to remove the body. See page 34 of the manual. It sounds as if the body is just clipped onto the frame.
I'm surprised that the manual does not mention greasing the worm-drives every 20 or 40 hours of operation.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Cmondialo  
#7 Posted : 31 May 2017 22:59:45(UTC)
Cmondialo

United States   
Well i was able to open it up. I checked page 34 of the manual good summary to open it up. There was some grease but i added a bit. With the passenger floor off the motor is loose in vertical and a bit horizontal. The passenger floor acts as the upper motor mount. The Floor and the four main screws around the floor hold the motor in place. I tried slow running it wo the floor and the sound came on in one direction as the motor hopped off the gear, clearly not meshing ideally. I assume this is the case as its the same sound with the floor back on. I tried it "as is" w grease and floor snugged, same sound. Tried adding a small bit of rubber above the motor between the floor and upper of the motor same sound. Reverse is still silent but forward is the "clackity of the gears" alas... Ill just have to think of it clicking along the tracks w sound off. It may be a touch quieter going over a switch but not sure how's that plays into the equation. I took some pics but not sure how to load them. May not be of use since I couldn't quiet it. Thanks again to all
C
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2017 03:35:03(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Cmondialo Go to Quoted Post
Well I was able to open it up.
May not be of use since I couldn't quiet it. Thanks again to all
C

Mine ran perfectly for about two weeks and then it had a catastrophic electronic malfunction and it has been in Göppingen for several months now. It brought down my whole control system if it was on the track. I don't think that the dealer really believed me when I contacted him. But he tested it and then sent it to Märklin and told me that "it is out of my hands and Märklin can either repair or replace it - it is their call!" So there are multiple ways that these little beauties can fail!

Now I can look forward to a whole new potential problem when it finally does find its way back to me. At least if it does not run at all, it is never noisy in either direction. BigGrin

On the positive side though it is a gorgeous model and eventually I hope that I might actually be glad that I bought it.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Cmondialo  
#9 Posted : 07 June 2017 04:21:12(UTC)
Cmondialo

United States   
Lol quite true. It is an otherwise nice model. I did notice that while my mobile control 2 was set to set "stop" on more than one occasion it didn't see the VT when I placed it back on the track. It need a power down. I have about 10 engines all parked but live. I have had one full reset event I don't know what caused it but all of my running engines are mfx so not brutal as it found them all. I had to reset many sub parameters. But I can't say if it was the VT. I emailed Marklin day of my last post but haven't heard back. Should they be emailed in German or English. Better luck with one or the other???As for the VT I now just run it with driver facing the trailer.