Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline biswasg  
#1 Posted : 01 January 2006 23:46:26(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
I am new to model railroading. Of what I have read from different sources, a general advice has been to avoid buying locos with traction tires. However, most, if not all Marklin locs have traction tires (as far as I have come to know). Assuming Markin locs being known for their quality, why did Marklin chose to have traction tires or are the traction tires in Marklin locs of qualtiy which would actually make them mre desirable?
Gautam
Offline Davy  
#2 Posted : 01 January 2006 23:57:25(UTC)
Davy

If you want pulling on a slope you must have traction tyres. I have one loc without them a brawa T3 which have on my 2 slopes no pulling power what so ever.
Also on our club Marklin module bahn. Marklin locs almost always have more pulling power then other non Marklin locs. Even when they also have traction tyres.

Modellrailroading can not with out them. I always say. People who don't want them are purist.

M-track with a CS2.
Offline verheyen  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2006 00:10:33(UTC)
verheyen

I don't agree with that. Look at all the US prototype layouts. No traction tires to be seen, anywhere. All it takes are appropriate grades and train consists/lengths, i.e. don't take that T3 and except it to haul 20 4axle coalcars up a your typical helix.

That said, they sure do help.

p.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Davy
<br />Modellrailroading can not [do] with out them. I always say. People who don't want them are purist.
Offline Munich 1860  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2006 00:15:29(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
Hello Gautam,

I am not the right one for a fight between 2 rail DC fans and the 3 rail AC version used by Märklin, because my believe is that both systems are legitimate ways to build a model railroad layout. I am a 3 rail fan and Märklin collector, but a good friend has all Fleischmann, 2 rail DC, and I like his stuff too. So I am not one of those die-hard Märklinists that can be found here and there.

Yet your question touches one of a few advantages that are on the side of the AC 3 rail system.

Simply put: because of the use of pickup shoes to collect the current in the middle of the track, all wheels of Märklin locos are used for ground contact. With 2 rail, left is plus and right is minus. Therefore contact is much better with Märklin locos (of course, there have been cases of badly connected Märklin locos, and DC locos have much improved over the years, but my statement is still generally true).

This is why 2 rail locos may stop easier on turnouts or dirty tracks. And this is why "they" need more current connecting wheels, and "we" don't and therefore have plastic tyres. Märklin locos have quite strong pulling power, and the plastic tyres are one of the reasons for this.

Regards,

Hans
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline Davy  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2006 00:18:17(UTC)
Davy

But my Marklin nr 37210 A V140 dieseltrain which is 14 or 15 cm big pulls a train of about 8 meters without much trouble.
No train without traction tires can do this.
M-track with a CS2.
Offline Karl  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2006 06:08:07(UTC)
Karl

United States   
I have found that the tires on the Marklin locos really help with traction especially the lighter ones that are built these days. An old heavy 800 series loco like a GN800 has good traction just due to the fact that it is heavy. Keeping the track clean and oil clear from the tires will surely be a plus.