Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Leitner  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2017 11:52:24(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Hello, I have a trouble...

I have several loco with DCC decoder, they are all running on address 3 but I can't/I don't know how to change address from the default one. Can you help me?
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2017 22:11:38(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Any response needs to be qualified by the capabilities of your DCC decoder.
The CS offers POM but for address just write the CV1

With reference to users manual page 53 ( http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/60216_betrieb.pdf ) : "This is the way to edit individual CV values"

- Place Locomotive on programming track and apply power

- Edit the CS object for the loco and access the "Configuration" tab

- Wait until the "Still ?? CVs to read" completes its countdown
TIP: You may circumvent the delay (of reading all the CVs in the default CV schedule) by quickly deleting (trashcan) , all CVs except CV#1

- Edit the CV#1 value with the address you desire

- Click the icon for "Prog" (Icon of an Arrow pointing to the track)
Note: observe the message in the top left for completion : this will indicate the writing of any CVs that have had a changed value.

Edited by user 19 May 2017 12:03:27(UTC)  | Reason: See subsequent post by MarklinLife

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Leitner  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2017 22:48:23(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Thank you very much, for now I solved with a MS2, I'll try the way you told me asap. In any case I don't understand why they don't use an intuitive system like the one of the MS...
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
Offline eroncelli  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2017 16:07:24(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
It looks easier with the MS2 when just setting a new address, but in fact if you want to modify any of the parameters (say CVs) of a decoder, using a CS1/2/3 is more and more comfortable.
And the manuals explain the correct procedure.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2017 16:57:16(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
That works if both old and new addresses are short (1 through 127).

4 CVs are involved for setting the address (1, 17, 18, 29).
On the MS2 you can set the address in the range 1 through 10239 and the MS2 will deal with the four CVs as required.
On the CS2 you can set the address in the range 1 through 9999 and the CS2 will deal with the four CVs as required.

And such a basic feature is not supported on the CS3?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#6 Posted : 17 May 2017 17:22:36(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Of course it is.

Loco on programming track, edit, set new address, save, done.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 19 May 2017 00:50:23(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post
Thank you very much, for now I solved with a MS2, I'll try the way you told me asap. In any case I don't understand why they don't use an intuitive system like the one of the MS...

I also find the CS2/3 interface to edit CV confusing.

I actually gave up trying to configure my DCC loco with CS3 and instead invested in a ESU Lokprogrammer.

I can see that Marklin tried to find a compromise between a user friendly interface where you don't have to bother with CV (like mfx configuration), and ability to change CV in configuration, but I think they got the later wrong.

First of all it's not clear when you are actually initiated the command for writing a CV. Also there is no individual read button so you can check a CV value before writing. And put into this mix-up the mfx format which is not designed specifically for CV register but rather a graphical interface/settings.

The ESU Lokprogrammer is of course primarily designed for their decoders, which is a breeze to re-configure. However it can also read and write other decoders with their basic menu. And ESu manuals are very detailed and clearly explains what you can do or not do with their product.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Michael Jervis  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2017 15:20:15(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Same problem with CS3. I can't read a dcc loco and, obviously I can't write either. Was this resolved?
Offline Michael Jervis  
#9 Posted : 16 October 2017 15:34:58(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Any response needs to be qualified by the capabilities of your DCC decoder.
Clapcott said the following and I've added my queries

With reference to users manual page 53 ( http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/60216_betrieb.pdf ) : "This is the way to edit individual CV values"

- Place Locomotive on programming track and apply power - (did that, nothing happens on screen. Should it?)

- Edit the CS object for the loco and access the "Configuration" tab - (Where is the CS object for the loco? Should CS3 have seen it on the programming track? Should the CS3 be reading the loco and registering it?)

- Wait until the "Still ?? CVs to read" completes its countdown - (I've never seen that. What step am I missing?)

TIP: You may circumvent the delay (of reading all the CVs in the default CV schedule) by quickly deleting (trashcan) , all CVs except CV#1

- Edit the CV#1 value with the address you desire - (I wish...)

- Click the icon for "Prog" (Icon of an Arrow pointing to the track) - (Where is this?)

Note: observe the message in the top left for completion : this will indicate the writing of any CVs that have had a changed value.

Sorry to be such an arse. I just don't seem to be able to do this.
Mike
Offline Michael Jervis  
#10 Posted : 16 October 2017 15:48:55(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Of course it is.

Loco on programming track, edit, set new address, save, done.

Unfortunately not! What am I missing?
I put DCC Loco on programming track and nothing happens. How do I add it to the loco list so I can read and edit it?
Thank you. Mike.

Offline Michael Jervis  
#11 Posted : 16 October 2017 18:30:17(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Has anyone ever read or programmed a DCC loco with CS3? I’m beginning to think not. I’ve switched to a Dynamis Ultima and it’s easy.
Offline Danlake  
#12 Posted : 16 October 2017 20:31:17(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Mike,

I have been able to configure some DCC locomotives, but I agree the setup is not the best and I also think there is some flaws. For this reason Iam using
Lokprogrammer for all my DCC locos for now on.

The CS3 will not read automatically all the values and apply them to a profile for you to change. You can load a generic DCC profile and then write those values to the decoder.

When you are in CV register choose e.g. CV 1 and then enter the number for the address. Note as soon as you enter a number it will write to the decoder. If it’s a DCC decoder you should see some small jerks and lights flashing.

If you want to change another CV, load first a new line. Then enter the value for it. Unfortunately there is no icon for reading the values, and I believe this is a design flaw...only when you apply a value it will confirm it by a read value.

The icon load and save is for CV templates. Don’t confuse the load icon for reading CV values.

Best Regards
Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#13 Posted : 16 October 2017 20:58:15(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Michael Jervis Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately not! What am I missing? I put DCC Loco on programming track and nothing happens. How do I add it to the loco list so I can read and edit it?

You are absolutely right. The programming track does not seem to be working. I have the same issue now. I cannot read DCC nor MM2 decoders.

CS3 Plus
Hw 3.04
Sw 1.3.1 (0)
Offline Michael Jervis  
#14 Posted : 16 October 2017 21:13:01(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Thank you Lasse and ML. It seems I’ve wasted my money.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#15 Posted : 17 October 2017 06:14:12(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Michael Jervis Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Lasse and ML. It seems I’ve wasted my money.

It used to work. Probably just a software issue with the current update. Annoying as it may be. I am sure they will fix it ASAP since this is an essential feature.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#16 Posted : 17 October 2017 06:51:17(UTC)
MaerklinLife

I did some additional testing.

It seems to be limited to some decoders (DCC at least). The CS3 seems to be unable to read CV values from some decoders. I have problems with a built-in decoder in the set Trix 21336. When the CS3 fails to read from this decoder, all subsequent tries (no matter the decoder, manufacturer, DCC or MM2) fails as well. A restart of the CS3 and everything will work again, until I try to read from the problematic decoder. Everything will stop working, until I restart the CS3. If I do not try to read from the problematic decoder, everything will continue to work just fine.

I believe that failing to read from the problematic decoder will put the CS3 in a state it cannot recover from.

So reading from DCC decoders works as intended, until something goes wrong with one decoder, every subsequent read will fail for the duration of the session no matter the decoder. A restart of the CS3 fixes this.

Definitely a bug, but luckily DCC works fine for most decoders.

Have you tried reading another DCC decoder (mine works fine with LokPilot)?
What locomotive are you trying to read from?

My CS3:
HW: 3.04
SW: 1.3.1 (0)

I also have S88 LINK (60883) attached and a CS2 (60215) attached as a slave. Disconnecting these have no influence on the problem (nor should it have, but I did test it to be sure).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Goofy  
#17 Posted : 27 April 2019 18:44:21(UTC)
Goofy

Has anyone fixed the problem and tested in version 1.4.0?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control