Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sokato  
#1 Posted : 31 December 2005 03:13:35(UTC)
sokato

Hi -

For Christmas, my wife gave me (allowed me to have?) a 3046, the SNCF version of the BR44. It's a classic - while it's not as detailed as the newer 37886, it's still a beauty. I'd like to convert it to digital.

I have a spare 60904 conversion kit (changed me mind on another lok). It's the simple answer and should work fine. The model is on the supported list. But I'm also thinking that sound would be nice. A Loksound decoder with BR44 sounds would be ideal. I've never used a LokSound before so have some questions.

1) I assume the speaker comes with the decoder. Is that right?

2) How big is the speaker?
The natural place to put it would be the tender, but when I opened it up, I found it is not just an empty shell but has cross-beams of plastic cells (~14.5mm x 22mm) to make it rigid. The speaker, unless very flat (4mm), likely wouldn't fit. As for the boiler, it doesn't look like there's enough room in there to fit the speaker either - but I suppose that would depend on the size of the decoder.

3) Could cutting some of the plastic out of the inside of the tender ruin the model? Of course being careful. but would that make the model ruined in someone's eyes? Also, how to cut?

4) Finally, a general question: are there any concerns on possible pulling power of the LokSound.

I'm not in a rush. I don't want to ruin the lok.

Has anyone done this conversion for a comparable lok? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2005 03:25:34(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
David, well, i have just finished a 3005 with a high efficiency kit and loksound mfx.
The speaker comes with the decoder and to put the speaker, yes you have to cut the plastic inside the tender. to cut i have used dremel+big scissors.
The result is just awesome!!!!!!!!
i will try to make a little video.....
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline john black  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2005 14:43:16(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by sokato
<br />would that make the model ruined in someone's eyes?

Hi David,

why - it's your small world and only your opinion that counts. That's about it ... Smile

Have fun,
John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide