Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Michael4  
#1 Posted : 03 May 2017 18:39:14(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I don't know if we are allowed to mention 'that other manufacturer' here but at the bottom of one of my boxes I rediscovered this. I know nothing about it, it came years ago with lots of other useful bits and pieces. It is DC, very heavy, metal with brass bands etc. No traction tyres. It seems quite 'large' for HO...

Can you help identify and date it? Is it worth selling to fund more elderly Marklin purchases? I can't find a F*********n Users website.

UserPostedImageDSC02166 by dralowid, on Flickr

Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 03 May 2017 19:03:49(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I think it is a Fleischmann 1324,going price anything between say Euro 50 and Euro 90,depending on the condition.
Nice loco of DB series 65,pretty rare in scale 1/87.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...6d04e:g:pr4AAOSw4CFYnHig

Especially the older Fleischmann series are known for their incorrect scale,that is to say not exactly 1/87.

However,in case of steamer series 65 must say the drive wheels of the real thing are rather small compared to the loco body.

Made by Fleischmann between 1962 and 1972.

Still waiting for the Marklin version!

The SSN in Rotterdam have one of the last surviving prototypes:

http://ltl-trains.nl/ima...n/SSN65%20018-Ddr-01.jpg

The cabinnumber gave her away,i simply Googled for DB 65014,and there it was.
The couplings are typical for Fleischmann,but this you have to know,of course.

A much later more detailed model was the Fleischmann 4065 (for DC):

http://www.osterthun.com/2.StaticGisbert/F4065.JPG

Edited by user 05 May 2017 16:29:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2017 01:09:29(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if we are allowed to mention 'that other manufacturer' here but at the bottom of one of my boxes I rediscovered this. I know nothing about it, it came years ago with lots of other useful bits and pieces. It is DC, very heavy, metal with brass bands etc. No traction tyres. It seems quite 'large' for HO...

Can you help identify and date it? Is it worth selling to fund more elderly Marklin purchases? I can't find a F*********n Users website.

UserPostedImageDSC02166 by dralowid, on Flickr

A nice loco!
Many years ago I have had a couple of them coming through my workshop (for conversions to 3 rail) and they are nicely solid constructions!
No tires?
That's a little surprising (from memory I would have said it was outfitted with them originally...) , but it's very easy to machine a groove in the drivers on the main driver axle.

A nice engine, and a bit unusual one.

I'd say it's a keeper! Wink ThumpUp
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 04 May 2017 07:40:39(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I am sure there are AC versions around but perhaps not having our beloved Marklin quality.

Look for Fleischmann 1165 and 931065.

https://wiki.3rail.nl/in...leischmann-br65-modellen

The Fleischmann 1165 with Marklin pick up shoe for 3 rail AC:

https://az95169.vo.msecn...ment/alt/1165/1165-1.jpg

Edited by user 04 May 2017 12:39:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Michael4  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2017 09:44:51(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Thank you everyone!

I had thought of converting (or getting it converted by someone) to AC but it has a big cast lump of what looks like lead inside which probably uses up all the space. I suppose the lead is there because it has no traction tyres.

I wonder...who should I ask about conversion and whether or not it is possible? It is not in great shape and I guess it won't be financially sensible but if we as a family have already had the engine for around 40 years it would seem a shame to sell it...maybe!
Offline DV  
#6 Posted : 04 May 2017 10:19:01(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Fleischmann BR 65 bought five years ago on ebay from an English site. The loco was all ready converted to AC analogue, but it it didn't have a reverse mechanism.

Ran beautifully in analogue, but I wanted to convert it to digital, so I contacted John (river6109 - a member of this forum), and voila, this is what he managed to achieve.

It has myriad sound functions, smoke unit, Roco special coupler at back, lighting that reverse when the loco is reversed, lighting under the wheels, fire box and so on.

Yes it has a huge lump of metal in the middle but anything is possible, just ask JohnThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Here's a video of it running on our club's old modular layout.

here's another video with two extra tank locos (Br 81 and BR 85 Märklin) as well.

Enjoy

Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DV
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 04 May 2017 13:01:30(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
The prototype was a post war steamer for fast suburban passenger traffic,not so much for freight.
Her axle configuration allowed her to move fast in both directions without using a turningtable.
Post war steamers like series 65 and 23 were mainly used to replace the aging series 38 (P8).
I would consider the best for her to pull are 2 axle or 3 axle passengercars with DB markings.
The small number built indicates that the days of steam were over,gradually overtaken by Diesel and electric power,the ever present V100 springs into mind.

Edited by user 07 May 2017 11:42:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline NS1200  
#8 Posted : 04 May 2017 14:00:59(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Thank you everyone!

I had thought of converting (or getting it converted by someone) to AC but it has a big cast lump of what looks like lead inside which probably uses up all the space. I suppose the lead is there because it has no traction tyres.

I wonder...who should I ask about conversion and whether or not it is possible? It is not in great shape and I guess it won't be financially sensible but if we as a family have already had the engine for around 40 years it would seem a shame to sell it...maybe!

And then you still have to deal with the funny couplings!
If it would be mine I would leave it as is and use it as a static object on isolated (!!!!) Marklin track,or put it away as a family relic in a displaycase.
I would prefer to spend the money on buying a Fleischmann AC version,they look rather nice.

Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 04 May 2017 14:27:50(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post

If it would be mine I would leave it as is and use it as a static object on isolated (!!!!) Marklin track,or put it away as a family relic in a displaycase.
I would prefer to spend the money on buying a Fleischmann AC version,they look rather nice.

Yes, I think you may well be right! I am just a bit over enthusiastic after re discovering it. I'll make sure I have a siding for such things on the layout I have started building, it can sit there next to the VB SNCF Mistral just to emphasise the difference in scale.

Offline NS1200  
#10 Posted : 04 May 2017 14:59:59(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post

Yes, I think you may well be right! I am just a bit over enthusiastic after re discovering it. I'll make sure I have a siding for such things on the layout I have started building, it can sit there next to the VB SNCF Mistral just to emphasise the difference in scale.

But please make sure you isolate the DC trains from the AC track!

To be honoust,in my humble opinion mixing different brandnames does not work.
Once I bought the Hornby Mallard,beautiful model,but scale 1/76,does not look good next to Marklin.

For an AC model of the series 65 you may consider letting her pull the Marklin 4067/4079/4080 3-axle coaches.
Offline NS1200  
#11 Posted : 04 May 2017 15:52:21(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I do not think the 1324 has any traction tires from factory.
Found this partlist which also valid for the 1324.
No tractiontires listed.

http://www.fleischmann-h...comotieven/1324-1962.pdf