Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 27 December 2005 11:21:50(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I decided to migrate my collection information from All Aboard Express to Erik Spierenburg's excellent iCollectTrains database. So I can work through a data quality process, I have decided to re-enter the items manually.

Anyway, over time I have purchased multiples of the same item (in my case this is mainly M-track) from different suppliers at different prices. One approach is to enter the number of items and an average price, while another approach is to enter the same item many times so that an invoice number is available for each entry. This means that when the time comes to sell (and I have sold off some things in the last two years) I have a better idea of a minimum price.

How do you keep multiple items your collection databases?

Cheers
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline ErikSpierenburg  
#2 Posted : 28 December 2005 01:14:15(UTC)
ErikSpierenburg

Hi Adrian-

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I decided to migrate my collection information from All Aboard Express to Erik Spierenburg's excellent iCollectTrains database.

Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:How do you keep multiple items your collection databases?

What I do depends on the value of the item.

Valuable items: I keep seperate items for each one. Using the Copy function helps with data entry speed. But if you want to sell you need exact records.

Not-so valuable items (eg track): personally I do what you d, keep the average price.

BTW: we are working on the latest version, lot's of nice new features, and bugfixes of course. Lots to get excited about!

HTH & groeten,
Erik

iCollectTrains - great software for modelrailroaders
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 28 December 2005 05:29:38(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
For insurance purposes, I keep track of all my items using the highest current price, or if the item is no longer in the catalogue, I use the highest price I can find eg. Koll's for collector items or the price I paid, or the suggested retail price at the time.

Needless to say, I have a replacement value insurance policy on the contents of my home. But even if you don't, the VALUE of the items is much more important than the price actually paid. I don't keep an inventory of track, but perhaps I should, because it can add up pretty fast.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 28 December 2005 09:24:33(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks guys - they are good thoughts.. I am looking forward to the latest version.. Joust upgraded the old PC so it now has much better performance.. In a day or so I will be finished migrating the software from the old PC (to become the new WDP 9 PC) to the new one..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com